Windows 7 Submit your desktop!

I've got to figure out how to do this. I tried the Curl+Alt+Prt Scr, all I got was a blank bitmap image. I installed Paint.NET. Will have to try this again tomorrow. I like to learn how to do cool things.

Takes my mind off of things, and get to interact with cool people. I really like it here!

Cat

Cat, tsk, tsk, tsk...

1st, why would you install paint.net? Whatever that is. Paint is in the OS. You trying to take screen shots?? This is how:

WinKey + PrtScn

Puts a .png screen shot in Photos Library (Pictures Folder)

Cheers,
Drew

Cat, tsk, tsk, tsk...

1st, why would you install paint.net? Whatever that is. Paint is in the OS. You trying to take screen shots?? This is how:

WinKey + PrtScn

Puts a .png screen shot in Photos Library (Pictures Folder)

Cheers,
Drew
Thanks a million! I was just going by some tutorials that I found, I believe were made in the mid 2000's.

Cat

Here's mine! Screenshot.png

Not that fancy, but I got it done!

Cat

Yep, you did :thumbs_up:

Cat, have you read the Shortcuts & Nav Tips info I put in this Forum, yet?

And, you don't you use Quick Launch instead of having all those icons all over your Desktop? Someday you might want nicer wallpaper & not have it all covered up w/ icons. Here's mine, want to play, 'Find the Icons'?
Screenshot.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

Yep, you did :thumbs_up:

Cat, have you read the Shortcuts & Nav Tips info I put in this Forum, yet?

And, you don't you use Quick Launch instead of having all those icons all over your Desktop? Someday you might want nicer wallpaper & not have it all covered up w/ icons. Here's mine, want to play, 'Find the Icons'?
View attachment 18972

Cheers,
Drew
Yes I've checked out the link that you posted. I'm still learning, as many other Windows 8 CP users are.

The shortcuts, I guess I've taken for granted. Being a Windows user since 2000, those shortcuts have always been there. Some, I delete & access through the Start Menu (on Windows 7 & below), to keep from having 40+ shortcuts on my desktop screen.

Once I get the OS learned a bit more, I'll change the wallpaper to my liking. I like the ones with space scenes, like this one here:

NASA Hidden Universe - Download

The scenes rotates every few minutes, which is what I prefer. You've probably seen these at some point.

Cat

Drew, I see what you mean. Does this look better? The gadgets on the right, I want to see. Note the low CPU/RAM usage using Win 8 CP. Using Win 7, it goes way up there.

Screenshot (3).jpg

Cat

Sure, Cat, that is nice.. Right now, I'm using Wallpaper from my photos & changing every few seconds but, can be whatever, of course. My point & feeling about Desktop icons is this...

They are not necessary. 1st, cus things can be found w/out shortcuts & 2nd cus between Pinning to Taskbar & Quick Launch what one wants 'handy' can be done w/out Desktop 'clutter'... I've done this since XP & still w/ Windows8.

I know many ppl have icons (& shortcut icons) all over the Desktop & also, let it be used a storage location instead of in folders on an HDD somewhere. But...

Drew

I'm getting used to using those tiles in the Metro UI now, the shortcuts to all of my programs are there. Just a simple click into the right lower corner gives access to Start (as you probably know) gives almost total access to everything on Windows 8 CP. It's virtually became my default OS now. Been 3 days since I've used Windows 7 for anything.

I like it!

Cat

Yeah, & it may tend to 'grow on' a lot of other ppl, as time passes, too. Also, Cat, Win + Q is another nice 1. Check it out, too. Although I must say, I tend to live more on Desktop than, Start. Any Start tile can be Pinned to Desktop. And w/ Quick Launch there is less going back & forth. Win + X is cool, too. Plus, grab Apps you want from Start & then, control them @ the App panel along the upper-left... snapping them is a nice Feature... see details & point to such things in the Keyboard Shortcuts & Nav Tips item in this Forum.

I now have convenient Shutdown & Restart buttons & Many other things handy. I'll get you a photo soon.
Here you go
Untitled2.png
Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
I have always been partial to anime wallpapers. One thing I wanted to say is, remember that Vista and higher has the snipping tool. With it you can to segments or full screen shots as well.

Here's my MSI notebook that I just clean installed Windows 8 CP on. This is the most powerful computer that I have.

Screenshot.jpg

And to those who says there's no Start Menu in Windows 8 CP, there is. Go to the lower right corner, it'll pop up! This install took half of the time that Windows 7 does. So far, so good, except one thing. I can't get the DYNAUDIO to work, nor are there drivers for it on either the DYNAUDIO or MSI site. Hopefully, I'll get that fixed soon.

I also think that I'd like to get a wireless mouse than messing with this track pad.

Cat

Last edited:
Good idea/suggestion, Naiya. So here, from left to right, is just the Taskbar w/ Shutdown & Restart buttons in Quick Launch, Quick Launch, Pinned Items & Links (same content as Favorites Bar). No real need to show whole screen as there are no icons on it, anyway.
Capture.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

Nice desktop! That fish looks far more real than than the cartoon looking one that installs on the original Windows 8 CP. I've changed mine to something else, I've had those space scenes for over 2 years.

Screenshot (5).jpg

One thing about Windows 8 CP, my desktop screen looks more realistic than ever. Even with my old AMD Radeon HD 3200 card. Those clouds look as real as looking out the window.

Cat

Spent a couple moments on this. & a couple variations. If, you name Groups, can Add to & move , as a block.
Screenshot (4).png Screenshot (5).png

And, really, don't need, even all those. But, it's cool...

Back