Windows 7 Sync of laptop to desktop

ericmondor

Hello, I have a wireless laptop with Win7 and would like to sync it to my desktop with xp-pro and is hardwired to my wireless router. My question is how and or if I can sync my laptop to my desktop?

Any help will be great.

Eric

Everybody seems to have their own definition of sync. So depending on what you want to sync, have a look at this product from Microsoft read the quick details and overview and see if that is what you have in mind. It free and provided in 32 and 64bit versions, works on XP, Vista, Windows 7.
Hope this helps
Download details: SyncToy 2.1

Hello Randy,
what i rying to do is use the only printer in the house with my laptop. i totaly undrstand the to the point explanations.

Doesn't sound like you are talking about syncing at all. Sounds like you need to share the printer (which is presumably connect to your desktop) and then add the printer to your Laptop. Probably going to have to get the driver package for Windows 7 from the printer manufacturer and be prepared to reference the extracted driver folder during the install.

Assuming that both computers are connected to a common network concentrator (hub, switch, router with switch ports) and they both have the same workgroup name and file and printer sharing is enabled on both. Take a look at this article and see if you can get it working for you Share a Printer from XP to Windows 7

Hey Trouble, I do not have a Network and Internet option in control panel, only a network and sharing option and it is nothing like the one that is ilistrated on the link you sent me. Could it be somewhere else?

Eric

I believe that example was based on an XP machine, which you had indicated that you were using and that that was the machine that was actually hosting the printer. However Win7 also has the same option you just have to change your view. Control Panel, top right corner, drop down, select small icons and see if you see it then.

Hey Trouble, this is .my last attempt before i seek pro help. I do not have the option View network computers and devices under Network and Sharing Center. Do you know of a free tech help line that I could try and sit down to go through it step by step?
Thanks

click see full map top right corner and see if your desktop shows up. Try pinging the desktop from the laptop by IP address and Machine Name.

Another thing you could use is Live Mesh that comes with Windows Live - I love it and it and use it to sync all my pc's with documnets etc that I want on all pc's. It can also save documents to the cloud so you can access them from the internet as well.

Basher

Back