Windows 10 System Thread Exception Not Handled (igdkmd64.sys) problem again

Hi friend! I'm only trying to help you with a very difficult problem here. I know these are all things you have said before and I'm only backing you up.
I know this has been a very difficult thread for you.
I'm gone!:wave::worship:

I have a PC that has a serious problem, (possible caused due to a recent MS or other update). So I am told. I have had lots of help so far and the final part I am trying to solve the issue is :-

How do I do it?

To transfer “MediaCreationTool(1).exe” that I have managed to download to my laptop (currently sitting in the “Download Folder”

I seem to have run into to problems getting a clear instruction how “How to move this MediaCreationTool(1).exe” file (from the downloads folder) to a Lexar 64Gb USB stick (currently empty).

And then how to get it from the “Lexar 64Gb USB stick” to my troublesome “Main Computer” that is currently running (with problems) in “SAFE MODE”

It seems that there are several ways of doing this and to make it more complicated MS have changed the instructions (If I have understood it correctly) “The instructions may vary depending on the MS version you are using).

Once I manage to get this file on my troublesome Main PC, how do I launch it so it checks and hopefully rectifies my problems.

Hi Friend! You have been told how to do this by @kemical several times. Here's screen shots. Show me these and then I'll advise you further.
You double left click on the Media Creation Tool. Show me screen shots that you can get this far.;)Then I'll help you or my friend @kemical may join in. I'm hoping he will; or any member is welcome.;):)
Capture48.JPG
Capture49.JPG

Hi friend! I will stay with you until 2:00 AM. Then I'm going to hit the sack.;) This is not a difficult task!!
You double left click the Media Creation Tool exe. You plug in a flash dive and create the tool or down load a ISO file and burn it to DVDs.
I prefer the flash!
;)

Hi Holdum33,
Many thanks,that looks like a very clear instruction. Thank You.
We obviously have a considerable time difference. (I am in the UK It's almost 8am here) I have two appointments shortly so I am just about to leave.
It will be about 4-5 hours till I am bavck. So will try then.

Hi! I'm not going to second guess my friend @kemical ; but once you have this tool, there are many options.
One option is a in -place-repair install!
Good night friend! I sleep in late so I will pick up your thread latter.;)
Thanks for your reply

Unbelieveable!

I've merged threads to save confusion

Please do not open new threads while you still have ones open or dealing with the same issue.

Silverman please take a screenshot of what you actually downloaded as I think this is where the confusion is coming.

I'm not actually sure you downloaded the MCT.

Also may I ask where is your Office tech support or are you it?

If you run the MCT you'll see these screens:

usb1.JPG

followed by:
usb2.JPG

Windows will start downloading once you click next . Your final screen should look like this:
usb3.JPG

Post back if you need further help.

Hi Holdum33,
Many thanks,that looks like a very clear instruction. Thank You.
We obviously have a considerable time difference. (I am in the UK It's almost 8am here) I have two appointments shortly so I am just about to leave.
It will be about 4-5 hours till I am bavck. So will try then.

Hi Holdum33 & kemical,

Sorry bit late starting, But followed your instructions, and it started downloading to my USB memory stick, after 30min it was about 25% done so not expecting it to complete for about another 1 and a half hours.

Whilst waiting, can you tell me what I should do when this download has completed?
1. The main computer we are trying to sort our now only starts in safe mode. It that a problem?
2. Do I insert the USB memory stick in the Main Faulty computer (a) after it's booted up in safe mode OR (b) before switch it on and boot up ?

Just checked the progress and it's speeding up (it's currently 51%, so It will be about another 30-405 min at a guess)

I will wait your instructions before I proceed. I do appreciate your help.

Hi Silverman,
glad to hear your finally downloading Windows 10.

Once it's finished downloading we then have further options which is why I wanted you to get it in the first place.

Now because your machine is booting straight into safe mode this affects our options slightly and ideally you need to boot from the actual flash drive.

All this means is we change settings so that the computer will look at the USB flash device first when looking for the operating system to boot up.

In order to access these system settings you need to boot into the bios.

To access the bios on a pc one normally presses either F2 or the delete key as soon as you hear the system beep when booting up. If there's no beep on your machine then press the key as soon as you see the first page pop up on the screen.

It may take a couple of tries before you actually get into the bios.

Once you do and depending on your type of bios you will see headings or different sections. Now to navigate in the bios depends on if you have a recent bios or an old one. If it's a recent bios then you can probably use your mouse to get around. If it's an older version then your main key's are 'Enter' to access and 'Escape' to leave.

Make sure the USB drive is plugged in. You need to find the section dealing with boot options in the bios. The hard drive, DVD drive and USB flash drive will be numbered in the order set by the boot options.
You need to ensure that the USB drive is number one or at the top of the boot list. If you cannot see how to change the boot order then check the bios page as there can be tips and instructions available.

Once you have made the changes you need to leave the bios but making sure your setting change is saved. If you keep pressing escape i think it will eventually ask if you want to leave and save or just leave. You want the leave and save option which will then reboot the machine.

The system will when booting up access the flash drive first and you must watch for the on screen prompt to 'press any key' to install from the USB device.

Go through each screen until you reach the install page. Do not click Install. Look in each corner and you should find 'Repair' and it's this you need to click.

If this fails to work then we'll try something else.

This guide might help with changing boot options:
How to Boot Your Computer From a Disc or USB Drive

Last edited:
Hi kemical,
Thanks for the clear instructions. I change the boot order to My lexar USB rebooted and it did as you said, I clicked on repair, and now on screen I have:-
Toubleshoot
OR
Turn off your PC

Excellent!

Please click on 'Troubleshoot'.

Next screen should show options to 'Reset this pc' or 'Advanced options'. Please click on 'Advanced options'.

The next screen should have these options:
sr.JPG

Let's try 'Start up repair' first of all so please click that.

This may or may not repair the issue but it's worth trying for a start.

The repair function will eventually give you a report and further options.

To get back into Windows 10 click advanced options and then try clicking the arrow at the top to go back to a screen which will have an exit to windows 10 button.

There are other things we can try but you might end up losing data in some of them.

Can you try the above first and then if it doesn't work we will discuss our/your options.

Any questions please post back.

Hi kemical,
Went through all you said:

'Start up repair' unfortuantly did not solve the issue:-

Now have (on screen) :-
STARTUP REPAIR.
Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC
Press "Advance optiuons" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shut Down" to turn off your PC.
Log file:

Note nothing shown against Log file

Hi Silverman,
you could try a RESET again making sure you keep files and folders.

To access the reset page you need to click 'Advanced options' followed by 'Start up settings'.

Next screen.Click on 'Troubleshoot' followed by 'Reset this pc'.

Choose to keep your files and the process will start.

Good luck and please post back if you have any questions.

I now have on Screen:-

Reset this PC

The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

Hmm... ok is there a cancel button?

We need to check that your HDD is ok.

Can you find your way back to the 'Advanced options' screen?

Click on command prompt and type:

chkdsk /f /r C:

Press enter and it will probably reboot.

Post back with any questions.

Have done that and it's still working (currently on stage 4) It's a lot of text do you need a copy? how would I copy that (if you need it)?
I could take a photo I suppose.

In (stage 4) looking for bad clusters counting up to 103664 (currently only done 4656)

I will leave it to complete.

It could take some time to complete Silverman. Let me know what the end results is, thanks..

And no I don't need to see the text just the end results.

@kemical: Ross, looking over this thread, I noticed that no one mentioned the fact that he has 3 additional HDDs plugged into the OP's Motherboard!!:shocked: Looks like a 500GB, and 2x-2TB's. Could be all 3 are USB drives; but probably just the 2-2 Terabytes USB drives are. In any case, I've had lots of issues with W10 getting stuck in SAFE MODE, when the secondary drives (SATA &/or USB) remain connected to the Mobo. I also mentioned that in the Snowman Bawb thread earlier this morning too! Even if OP gets his W10 reset, it still might get jammed into SAFE MODE, unless he disconnects all these 3 extra drives; don't you agree? Then he can focus on getting his 320GB C: bootdrive working with W10 via the MCT stick you had him create. Might be worth a shot... We can also post the link for John's Hard Drive diagnostics page once he gets his bootdrive running W10 Ok, and he can then test those 3 drives on his other computer (I read he used a laptop to make his W10 bootable stick, right?), and make sure they test ok on that laptop BEFORE plugging them back into his W10 PC once working; in a one-at-a-time fashion.:)

Here's that link for the OP if you wish to reference:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

Hope that might be of some help!;)
BBJ :bee:

**P.S. Interesting thread!!;)

Back