Windows 7 Trouble Installing .net framework 3.5

Slidemaster729

Hey everyone,

Something strange has happened recently. I right clicked on my desktop to create a new folder, and got the following message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

This is followed by a message stating that Windows Explorer has stopped working, Windows Explorer restarting, and a seeming return to normalcy. I was then prompted to install the .net Framework pack 3.5, but when I try doing that, I get the following error log:

[10/18/14,18:09:47] VS Scenario: [2] CSupportedPlatformCheck failed : You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Control Panel to install or configure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
[10/18/14,18:09:47] VS Scenario: [2] Failed to pass the Warnings/Blocks checks in CVSScenario::Start()
[10/18/14,18:15:02] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603
[10/18/14,18:15:16] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS): [2] CBS Component is marked to be uninstalled but CBSPackageName is not authored - CCBSComponent::SetManager()
[10/18/14,18:15:16] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS): [2] CBS Component can't be uninstalled as CBSPackageName is not authored - CCBSComponent::SetManager()
[10/18/14,18:15:32] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package' is not installed.
[10/18/14,18:35:39] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603
[10/18/14,18:35:42] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS): [2] CBS Component is marked to be uninstalled but CBSPackageName is not authored - CCBSComponent::SetManager()
[10/18/14,18:35:42] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) (CBS): [2] CBS Component can't be uninstalled as CBSPackageName is not authored - CCBSComponent::SetManager()
[10/18/14,18:35:44] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package' is not installed.

For the record, this came AFTER I turned off the .net framework pack in the control panel, which I was prompted to do using the "turn windows features on or off" feature, and I've already tried rebooting to no avail.

I have no idea what's going on - any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

I tried to replicate the problem by turning off Net 3.5 in programs and features. Rebooted and everything is fine. However I have net 4.5 installed through windows update. A question: are you stating the windows directed you to turn off 3.5??

Yes - I was first sent directly to the 3.5 download page, and then when I began installing it, Windows told me that I needed to turn off 3.5 from the control panel before continuing.

OK, so windows needs you to unload the net 3.5 modules prior to updating. Have you tried to update through windows update? If so, does that fail also? In "turn off and on windows features" there are several sub-items that can be unchecked which I recommend that you try. But if WU doesn't update you to 4.5 automatically then the %windir%\software distribution folder may need to be unlocked from the edb process, then deleted and rebuilt after restarting. Also the system32\catroot2 folder may need the same things done to it. It's not a bad idea to image your system prior to doing these types of rebuilds. But I would try to let WU do what it can first.
Just fyi ... when doing an upgrade repair on windows the installer would invariably tell me that net 3.5 was damaged (but never 4.5) and would proceed to repair it. There is something about 3.5 that confuses windows. Probably bugs.
Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm a little confused - I keep my computer automatically updating using windows updater. Do I need to manually do something different here? Should i try to upgrade manually to 4.5? I unchecked all 3.5 boxes and it still did not update.

I have no idea how to rebuild my %windir%\software folder if I need to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

First. I apologize for the unclear directions which I proposed.
Yes, I would think that WU would automatically update to 4.5. Since it does not makes me think the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders "may" be corrupt. Even if deleted, they are recreated after a reboot and running WU. For that reason their deletion at least seems like a reasonable approach. However, Slide when it comes to doing this kind of thing you are on your own relative to the ultimate outcome. For that reason I highly recommend that you image your system prior to using this strategy. If you are uncertain about how to make an image of your system get back to me or google it.

Back