wt.pm

I have read about 10 different post here, but unable to locate my exact problem. I recently switched from a desktop to a laptop, I have always just finished what I was doing then let the machine sleep after 10 min, and hibernate after 90 min. I have ended up doing the same thing with my laptop. I have an Acer laptop, with a pentium dual-core, all windows updates, drivers, programs are current.
When resuming from hibernate, it asks for my password, then loads the desktop and any other auto-run programs. However, any program I click on to run will not start, if I right-click on the task bar and choose task manager, nothing at all happens. If I alt-crtl-del, I get an error message about task manager can't start, if problems continue then manually restart. Which is what I have to do in order to use the machine. I don't know if it's a update, or a program I have installed. Everything worked great for a couple of months after getting the laptop, then it just started doing this out of the blue, I don't know of anything that I have installed recently that might cause this, but then again, I may just not remember it.
Any ideas will be appreciated, until then I'll just have to click log-off everytime.

Solution
It sounds like you're facing some issues with your Acer laptop when resuming from hibernate mode, where programs fail to start and Task Manager doesn't respond as expected. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as incompatible software, driver issues, or system settings. Here are some steps you can take to diagnose and potentially resolve the issue:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Check for Windows Updates:
    • Ensure that your Windows OS is up to date. Sometimes, updates can contain bug fixes that address such issues.
    []Review Installed Programs:
    • Review recently installed programs that might have caused the problem. Uninstall any suspicious or unnecessary programs.
    [
    ]Check Device...
It sounds like you're facing some issues with your Acer laptop when resuming from hibernate mode, where programs fail to start and Task Manager doesn't respond as expected. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as incompatible software, driver issues, or system settings. Here are some steps you can take to diagnose and potentially resolve the issue:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Check for Windows Updates:
    • Ensure that your Windows OS is up to date. Sometimes, updates can contain bug fixes that address such issues.
    []Review Installed Programs:
    • Review recently installed programs that might have caused the problem. Uninstall any suspicious or unnecessary programs.
    [
    ]Check Device Drivers:
    • Make sure all your drivers are up to date, especially graphics and chipset drivers. Outdated drivers can sometimes lead to system instability.
    []Scan for Malware:
    • Perform a thorough scan using a reliable antivirus software to rule out any malware or potentially unwanted programs.
    [
    ]Power Options Settings:
    • Verify your power settings and make sure they are configured correctly for hibernate mode.
    []Windows System File Check:
    • Run the System File Checker tool to scan for and repair corrupted system files that may be causing the issue.
      • Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the command: sfc /scannow
    [
    ]Check Event Viewer for Errors:
    • Use Event Viewer to check for any error messages or warnings that might provide more insight into the issue.
    []Disable Startup Programs:
    • Temporarily disable startup programs to see if any specific program is causing the problem.
      • Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager (not working in your case), then navigate to the Startup tab.
    [
    ]Perform a Clean Boot:
    • Perform a clean boot to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.
      • Type msconfig in the Run dialog (Win + R), go to the Services tab, check "Hide all Microsoft services," then disable non-Microsoft services. Restart.
  2. Check System Restore Points:
    • If the issue started recently, consider using a System Restore Point to revert your system to a previous state where everything was working fine.

Further Assistance:​

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, you might consider reaching out to Acer support or a professional technician for further assistance, as the problem could be related to specific hardware or software configurations unique to your Acer laptop. Feel free to try these steps and let me know if you need further assistance or clarification on any of the steps.

Solution
Back