Windows 7 Unwanted Dual Boot

Nivetar

Hi there!
I am running Windows 7 home premium 64bit.
When the notebook boots up, I get two options: Windows XP Pro 64bit 2003 setup and/or Windows 7.
How I could remove the unwanted Windows XP boot?
which is the {identifier} of Windows XP Pro 64bit 2003 that I should delete?
in MS-DOS command: bcdedit/enum I found
-----
"Boot Manager"
resumeobject {7ef9cf4c-22dØ-11e1-9497-c3b9ceb2d7b8}
"BOOT Loader"
recoverysequence {7ef9cf4e-22dØ-11e1-9497-c3b9ceb2d7b8}
resumeobject {7ef9cf4c-22dØ-11e1-9497-c3b9ceb2d7b8}
-----
(note the difference it's only the " e " in 7ef9cf4e instead of 7ef9cf4c)
Which is the XP identifier to delete?
Please advise. Thanks! :)

Hi

Download and use EasyBCD.
It will let you remove the XP boot option from your boot options.

It's easy to use.

Note: It's very important that you do this before trying to remove the XP installation from you computer.
If you remove XP while it's still an option your computer will not boot.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2010/welcome-to-easybcd-2/

Mike

Thanks, Mike!
I am not sure if the XP pro 64bit OS is installed somewere in the hard disk...I am sure that I didn't remove it... It was a downgrade from the original Windows 7 home premium 64bit that came already installed in my HP notebook. I think the System detect the downgrade and prevent to complete the installation!
If there is a remote chance to damage the system to the point that doesn't boot, I could leave it like it is ...it is just the matter of choosing the boot in the Boot Manager at the start.

Thanks for you advise and for the link.
Nivetar

Does the entry show up in Msconfig.exe? If it does you might be able to delete it there.

The XP entries in the BCD store normally refer to a Legacy install. But since yours talks about a setup, it is in some type of intermediate state.

But Mike is right about being careful. A snipping tool picture of your disk management window might help make things clear. Attach it using the paperclip in the Advanced replies.

Hi Saltgrass,
the Msconfig.exe show that only "Windows 7" is there (!).
I send a snip of the "Aministrator...CMD.exe" and of the "Disk Management"
Thanks for any further help too.
Cheers
Nivetar

Attachments

• Disk management.PNG
    Disk management.PNG
    54.9 KB · Views: 362
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 392
Hi

I would still look at the boot file in EasyBCD.

It should look like this, if it shows an entry for Windows XP, it's safe to tell it to delete it as long as your computer boots into Windows 7.

Then it will no longer ask you when you start the computer and it will be safe to delete the old Windows XP folder.

EasyBCD.JPG

I've never had any problems using this software, as long as you know you are deleting the correct OS.

Since one is Windows 7 and one is XP it should be obvious.

Ps. Note the little check box that tells it not to display the boot menu!

Mike

Last edited:
I would avoid removing anything from the boot manager, via a command prompt! As you know, the bootmgr file, in the root, has nothing to do with XP. The entry may not show in Easybcd or the boot manager. It is not an entry for an OS bootup, but a "leftover" command.. There are definitely remnants of an XP aborted install. The entry will be sitting in a root program "Boot.ini". You could try renaming the Boot.ini, but I am not sure what effect this will have on the overall boot sequence - probably none.
But Mike's suggestion should work. You can also rewrite the MBR, using Easybcd., which should solve the problem, as your computer appears to be still using all, or remnants, of the old OS MBR.
Fwiw, out of interest, do you have any history or knowledge of earlier installs? I am not aware of any entry, for install or setup, which would include the "2003" part.

Last edited:
Hi Mike!
I have download the EasyBCD and try it...It was showing only Windows 7.
Thanks for your further help.

You Did read all of my post? Look in the Boot.ini - the entry will be there. Again. Boot.ini is not used by a Windows 7 boot sequence.

Hi davehc!
Yes , it could be a remnant of my attempt to instal the XP pro 64bit over the Windows 7.
The Boot Manager give it the priority over the Windows 7, but I can still manage the handle in the 10 second of time... or [escape] and do it all over again...Once in Windows 7 the notebook works fine afterward.

Do you think I could wipe out everyting using the Recovery Partition? I have also 3 Recovery DVD of the original system that I bought from HP, but for some reason I cannot boot from them.
In the HP site I found some instruction too, but ,restarting the the Notebook, the System ignore the DVD, it doesn't boot from the CD-ROM.
I do not know if I explain well...I am quite a newbee!!!
Cheers
Nivetar

post a print out of the Boot.ini file

P.S. This is a hidden file. You will have to unhide it in your windows explorer view settings

Further. You can insert the original Installation disk and repair the startup, also.

Last edited:
Just a note, if you have your system set to look for an XP boot scheme and run a Startup Repair, it may take as many as 4 runs for it to fix everything, depending on what needs to be done.

Any chance you could go through you steps during the failed XP install? The Startup Repair or setting the MBR back to a Windows 7 system will probably repair your install, but sometimes it helps to see exactly where your system might be and how it got there.

I am sorry davehc,
how I could reach the boot.ini in Windows 7?
I am not so use to PC . I know how to unhide files in "Folders Option"
I found an instruction regarding how to find boot.ini in Windows XP...but how I find it in Windows 7?
Computer > Properties....
Thanks for your patience!

Hi

Windows 7 doesn't have a boot.ini file but if the computer is still reading the old XP one at start up. It's probably on which ever drive XP was on.

Since you aren't running XP it should be safe to just remove the Boot.ini file.

Actually I would just rename it xxboot.ini that way you can always activate it again by changing the name back, if it does cause some kind of problem.

Since EasyBCD shows only Windows 7 it should just boot into Windows 7 without asking if you want to boot into XP.

Here's some information about how Windows 7 differs from XP as far as booting goes, and how to access the boot information in Windows 7.

What happened to the boot.ini file?

Mike

Last edited:
Sorry. You are getting conflicting info which might confuse you.
As I said, Windows 7 does not use Boot.ini. But you obviously have it there.To reveeal hidden files, open Windows explorer . - Folder Options. Click the View Tab. Scroll down and tick "Show hidden files, folders. and drives. Also UNtick "Hide protected Operating system" Ignore the warning.
You should now be able to see boot.ini on the root of one of your partitions/HDs

Hi Mike,
I really would like to reach the boot.ini and rename it as you wrote...but how I could on Windows 7 !?.
I know, more or less, how to alter the Folder Options in order to show hidden files; that's all I can do.
I follow the link you gave me "what happened to the boot.ini file?" and I send here two snips of the 'Startup and Recovery' (here, dropping the menu on 'Default oper. system' Windows 7 it is shown twice) and 'Environment Variable'. Can I change something here?
Thanks.
N.

Attachments

• Capture 3.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 325
  • Capture 4.PNG
    Capture 4.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 295
Thanks davehc!
I know how to change Folder Options.
For the rest, I need to be "carried", step by step, to wath you call 'on the root of one partitions/HDs'...I am very embarrassed for my ignorance and I appreciate a lot your patience too!
N.

Well, as they say, pictures speak a thousand words. The yellow area is the "root"

It appears you do not have the show extensions for files turned on. Win XP requires 3 files to boot, ntdetect, ntldr, and boot.ini. Since you show a Boot file, that is probably the boot.ini file mentioned.

What bothers me is that if you were using a Windows 7 boot system, the boot.ini file would not be relevant since it is not listed in the BCD store. So again I will ask, what steps did you take to try to install XP? I know you made the C: partition active and left the original system partition inactive. Exact steps would really help.

Back