Windows 7 Unwanted Dual Boot

Can you open the files that have "Boot" in their names and see what's in them?

Use Note Pad.

If they have XP in the dialog they may be the culprit, I don't have any of these files on my C:\ drive.

Last edited:
Hi !
I am really sorry, but I cannot remeber exactly the steps I toke trying to install XP (pro 64bit) over the Windows 7 (home premium 64bit)...I am carrying this problem for few week now...it is only an "hiccup" just to void the reboot on XP, because looks like XP has got the priority over Windows (even if it's is on the line down_second on the list in Boot Manager).
I Remember only that I start to install from the DVD of XP, but at one point the installation stop with a box warning that I couldn't procede because was a "downgrade" of the system...
I think I can go like this forever actually . Untill I will decide to upgrade to a newer system.
I thank you and everybody of the Forum that have tried very kindly to help me.
Regards.
Nivetar

Hi Mike , I will give a last try if the file doesn't come out encrypted.
Thanks again.

BINGO! that's it EUREKA!!!

Attachments

• Capture 7.PNG
    Capture 7.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 286
I will try to rename it xxBOT (?)
thanks a lot...God bless you and everybody that have spent their patience with me.
Nivetar

Hi Mike! Before I procede to rename it, do you think that's the only file to rename or there are some more?
Will the PC reboot?
Thanks

You are running on the XP MBR, not Windows 7. To rename the file could result in a failure to boot. I would suggest you have a live CD or the original Windows 7 DVD handy, just in case. But, as you have said you have Windows 7 showing in the dual boot, you may get lucky.

Hi

I don't really know why it is booting from the file other then the fact that it was interrupted during the install process.

I notice that the boot file you posted says "Setup" so I'm guessing this is a file created to continue the installation process.

I just don't know what will happen if you remove or rename it.

It may act like removing a XP install without removing it from the boot sequence as davehc says.

You should print out the following instructions on how to repair the boot manager in Windows 7 first to be on the safe side and have your disk handy as davehc says, if you decide to go ahead.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

My guess is that the only file you need to remove is the one you posted.

But this is an unusual situation, I have never seen a case where a computer running only Windows 7 booted from another boot manager and didn't show it in the BCD file.

So I guess it's up to you whether you want to have a go, or just live with it.

Mike

Hi davehc,
At the moment of rename the file my hand start to shake...you know what I mean(?)I don't like to try...I am not a gambler and I do not trust my luck. I didn't at the end, because the boot manager is giving the priority to XP over Window7 and I don't know if, after all, the boot will jump on Windows 7...Yes I've got both DVD (XP & W.7)but my notebook is still working...Maybe I will leave like this untill it works.
Many thanks to all the helpers of the Forum!

If you ever decide to go ahead, EasyBCD has an option, as Mike mentioned, to set your system to a Windows 7 boot (see attachment). There are other ways also. If you are already using the Windows 7 boot, it will not hurt, if you are using XP, it will set the system back to the Windows 7 boot.

My theory, and I think others may agree, is during your attempt to install XP, your system was set to look for an XP booting system. Possibly you used a third party boot manager to set it up... Since you only show one partition you could install XP to, you might have even tried to install XP over Windows 7. With some of the files I see in your attachments, you may even want to do a Repair Install of Windows 7. But only you know what really happened.

Exactly how it gets to Windows 7 is the mystery, unless it defaults since something in Boot.ini looks at the hidden files and sees a Windows 7 install. While you are hanging out, do you show a $Win_NT--- type file on your system. That may be the one pointing to the Windows 7 install.

Do you run Ad-Aware and have it set to run a bootcleaner during boot? This might also be effecting the boot (aaw7boot.txt)

You have a Windows.old.001 folder. Did you do an upgrade install of your current Windows 7 install over a previous OS?

Anyway, no response required and hopefully your system will run fine.

Attachments

• Easy MBR.GIF
    Easy MBR.GIF
    105.8 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Hi Saltgrass, I did like you said.
By the way,Looks like "EasyBCD" it is really a little jewel on managing the boot and checking that box I found something interesting to put another question.
I have a Recovery partition in D: (see attach.) Could I use the"Create Bootable External Media" to create a series of bootable Recovery DVDs? ...Thanks.

Attachments

• Create Bootable ext.Madia.PNG
    Create Bootable ext.Madia.PNG
    38.6 KB · Views: 295
Hi

You can use the Back Up and Restore facility in Windows 7 to back up your computer, thought I would suggest buying an external hard drive to back up to instead of disks.

They are cheap, can be updated to keep them current and easy to use.

This is a really good idea!

I never keep anything that is important on only one drive.
Drives do fail some times and you don't want to lose all your photos music and personal stuff.
I have files that go back almost 20 years.

Mike

Last edited:
I agree Mike! Since I've lost a lot of stuff , me too now I use to back up always on EXTERNAL drivers (USB or DVD RW) now in a 750GB I do have a lot of folders/files.... By the way, thank you for suggesting the EasyBCD, that was really a treat.

Time by time I am use to whip the HDD and reinstal the system. Probably I could fix the Boot problem in this way(!?) What I would like to perform now it's a full reinstall of Windows 7 using the Partition where it is stored the Recovery. In my HP Pavilion G6 it is stored on Partiton D: ...This is the first time that I handle a laptop and it seems a little different than the Desktops(?)
Thanks.

I was looking at that earlier and was going to try it, but I wasn't sure if the partition it was looking for was one with a boot image, or the place you wanted to make bootable. Maybe I should do some testing. I do have an unused flash drive, maybe I will try that. It might be the same thing as using the bootsect /nt60 E: type of command, where E is the partition you want to make bootable. Maybe you could let us know if you try it.

Not sure what you mean by a "series of bootable media", but Windows 7 can make recovery CDs and you should be able to make some with the manfacturer's utility.

I have a set of three Recovery DVDs that I bought from the HP retailer of my town...They should be bootable, isn't it? Well! at Restart I am doing the usual thing... pressing [enter] at the right point, but the notebook ignore them and jump on Boot Manager!
Things are getting more complicate too.

Hi

Take a look at this, here are all the instruction on how to restore your computer using the recovery partition and Recovery Manager.
You can do it either from in Windows since it boots, or by tapping the f11 key.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I would have posted this earlier but I couldn't get into the forum.

Mike

Last edited:
Back