Windows 10 Upgrade display fubar

Odos270

I was having several issues so I did a full reset of Windows 8.1 (that was a nightmare). When I went to update, it offered me Windows 10. I bit the bullet and did it. The exact same thing happened this time as the first time (which is why I reverted back to 8.1).

On the desktop, if I place icons to either side or top, they're half off the screen. The taskbar is messed up too. I put Classic Shell back in so that I have a start menu more in tune with Windows 7. Now I can only see a sliver of the start button. The clock is half off the screen. If I choose to show icons on the taskbar, they are below the taskbar. Same goes for icons in the quick launch bar.

I didn't have this problem with 8.

Any menu that's taller than the screen I can't see and there's no scroll to see the upper end. If I maximize the browser, the minimize, maximize and close buttons are off the screen.

I'm using the recommended screen resolution. 1920x1080. I'm using a 32" 720p TV as my monitor. It's plugged in with an HDMI cable. There are no settings to change the display in the TV.

Screen shot? Yeah right. When I do a screen shot, it shows everything as it should look, not what I'm actually seeing.

Here's the left side of the taskbar.
VGGVPqr.jpg

Here's the right side.
QsU527K.jpg

This is what happens to icons on the desktop.
Lg4wxMh.jpg

Computer specs:
Processor: AMD FX-6200 (3.8GHz)
Processor Core: Six-Core
Memory: 10GB DDR3 (PC3-12800)
Graphics: Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570 (2GB DDR3 dedicated)
Video Ports: HDMI, DVI, Display Port

I can't find an updated driver. AMD considers the video card 'legacy'.

Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Driver Date: 6/22/2015
Driver Version: 15.200.1045.0

Hi @Odos270 Have you thought about using the media creation tool to upgrade to W10 and see what that does?;):)
PS Welcome to the forum!
Windows 10
PS Unplug all devises like printers and added monitors. Might want to disable your AV program also!

Last edited:
I was having several issues so I did a full reset of Windows 8.1 (that was a nightmare). When I went to update, it offered me Windows 10. I bit the bullet and did it. The exact same thing happened this time as the first time (which is why I reverted back to 8.1).

On the desktop, if I place icons to either side or top, they're half off the screen. The taskbar is messed up too. I put Classic Shell back in so that I have a start menu more in tune with Windows 7. Now I can only see a sliver of the start button. The clock is half off the screen. If I choose to show icons on the taskbar, they are below the taskbar. Same goes for icons in the quick launch bar.

I didn't have this problem with 8.

Any menu that's taller than the screen I can't see and there's no scroll to see the upper end. If I maximize the browser, the minimize, maximize and close buttons are off the screen.

I'm using the recommended screen resolution. 1920x1080. I'm using a 32" 720p TV as my monitor. It's plugged in with an HDMI cable. There are no settings to change the display in the TV.

Screen shot? Yeah right. When I do a screen shot, it shows everything as it should look, not what I'm actually seeing.

Here's the left side of the taskbar.
VGGVPqr.jpg

Here's the right side.
QsU527K.jpg

This is what happens to icons on the desktop.
Lg4wxMh.jpg

Computer specs:
Processor: AMD FX-6200 (3.8GHz)
Processor Core: Six-Core
Memory: 10GB DDR3 (PC3-12800)
Graphics: Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570 (2GB DDR3 dedicated)
Video Ports: HDMI, DVI, Display Port

I can't find an updated driver. AMD considers the video card 'legacy'.

Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Driver Date: 6/22/2015
Driver Version: 15.200.1045.0
Hi,
I'm afraid your card is now considered legacy and your best using the driver AMD specifies. First however you need to clear out the old drivers using this application. The Display Driver Uninstaller not only removes the driver but also anything else left behind by previous installs.
You'll need to boot into safe mode to use it:
DDU

Once you removed the drivers using the DDU, disable your anti virus and install the legacy driver. Hopefully this will prove to be the solution.

So, this is a self-built computer then? I mean you physically built it yourself, or did you buy it from someone else who assembled parts you or they purchased and put it together for you? (we call that a Custom-Built computer).

Please post hardware specs for the Motherboard, and PSU. The rest of the specs we need can be obtained by downloading the Free SPECCY diagnostic from piriform.com. Install the program, and post the output text file back here to this thread where we can analyze further.

Did you remember to run the WINDOWS 10 COMPATIBILITY TEST prior to running the Win10 upgrade?:question: This is very important to do, and most home users don't know that they need to do this especially on older hardware that may not be compatible with Win10. We see a ton of self-built PCs or custom-built PCs where the user has failed to run this test prior to running the upgrade, and almost always; about 90% of the time, things are made worse by failing to perform this compatibility check. It's more serious on self-built or custom-built PCs because home users replace, and mix and match old hardware with new hardware to fix a broken or not working component; and then the possibilities of a new OS working without issue is further magnified!

Lastly, have you tried to hook up a standard LCD flat panel monitor (borrow one from a friend or buy one used; they are often under $25 in local computer parts stores) and test after a clean install Win8.1? If the problem persists on an actual computer display, it's likely that your video card has a failure or at the very least a mode failure that's causing this problem. Driver incompatibilities with W10 further magnify this problem.

And too, are you sure you have the latest BIOS update on your Motherboard? (that's why we need your SPECCY result). Many Motherboards on self-built/custom-built systems will fail to run W10 without a proper BIOS update. This is somewhat true on OEM computers (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.).

Good luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

It looks to me as a mismatch of your screen resolution. Have you ever tried 1280x720 screen resolution?

Henk

Sorry about not getting back. I wasn't notified of new replies. I found the issue. The TV was using 16x9 as the display. I set it to "Just Scan". That cured the problem.

Thanks for coming back.
And it was a mismatch in specs between the TV and the computer.
Live is sometimes easy...

Enjoy your TV screen and your computer,
Henk

Last edited:
Back