Windows 7 Upgrade from Windows 7 pro 32 bit to Windows 7 pro 64 bit

DamionC

Hello, I have a somewhat interesting situation.

I'd like to upgrade from Windows 7 pro 32 bit to Windows 7 pro 64 bit. I already know how to do a clean install, and how to back up all my important files like photo's etc. What I don't know is how to get the "upgrade".

I heard from someone that I can obtain a 64 bit version of Windows 7 pro with a "re-license" of sorts from Microsoft if I already own a license and a copy of Windows 7 pro 32 bit. All for essentially the cost of shipping. If this is true, can someone point me to how to get that disk.

If that turns out to be bogus, would I have to buy a full new version of Windows 7, or a certain type of Upgrade, basically making my previous purchase of the 32 bit version unnecessary and somewhat wasteful.

Thanks for any help.

You have a good point here - if you don't have a 7 retail version containing both disks you will need to buy another 7/64 upgrade version as far as I know.

However I am no MS product guru and free to corrections

I'd like to upgrade from Windows 7 pro 32 bit to Windows 7 pro 64 bit. I already know how to do a clean install, and how to back up all my important files like photo's etc. What I don't know is how to get the "upgrade".

I heard from someone that I can obtain a 64 bit version of Windows 7 pro with a "re-license" of sorts from Microsoft if I already own a license and a copy of Windows 7 pro 32 bit. All for essentially the cost of shipping. If this is true, can someone point me to how to get that disk.

If that turns out to be bogus, would I have to buy a full new version of Windows 7, or a certain type of Upgrade, basically making my previous purchase of the 32 bit version unnecessary and somewhat wasteful.

Thanks for any help.

Only Ultimate and Enterprise ship with both versions. However, Microsoft has reportedly been good on this in the past, and a call to their sales division or your regional sales office (Heck, even one of their retail stores where they do have them), may help you get a copy of the 64-bit version. The key you have will likely still work with 64-bit. There may be a shipping and handling charge to send you out the discs, or potentially a link to the burnable image.

To install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using a 64-bit Windows 7 installation disc or files. You will have to purchase the disk, but you can use the less expensive upgrade option. To purchase the upgrade click here: bit.ly/DownloadWin7Pro

Thanks for any help.

Win 7 Home Premium upgrade has 32 and 64 bit disks included in package. I was running Vista Home Premium 32 bit and was instructed that I could only upgrade to Win 7 32 bit. Had to have 64 bit Vista to upgrade to 64 bit Win 7. If you only have or had a 32 bit system, you'll have to clean install a 64 bit OS. My understanding is if you upgrade from XP Pro, you have to do a clean install also.

If you have your product key just download the 64 bit version of the Windows 7 edition you currently have. The key is good for both versions.

You can use either BING or Ixquick search engines and enter: Windows 7 ISO image downloads.

Also you can go here, these are the legitimate links to Digital River MS RTM ISO images:
Link Removed - Not Found

The above site is the: Link Removed - Not Found website

Yes it does, as long as you have a genuine OEM product key for your install.

You shouldn't have any problems at all.

Also, all editions ship with both the 32 bit and 64 bit install discs whether "Upgrade" or "Retail" except for the OEM variety.

Home Starter is only available in 32 bit.

okay, thanks!

the download speed of above mentioned link is appalling

Yeah, you're right. Sometimes the servers get a little overloaded. My luck has been to download between Midnight and early morning, at least here in the US it is like that.

currently it's 1.35am in Atlanta (server location) and I get here a bit more than dial-up speed?
looks to me more like the server is deliberately throttled as it starts with 1MB/s then falling.

Finally got the 64-bit ISO and the switch from 32/64 worked fine but required phoning activation - the original 32-key was not accepted by automatic activation. However, the consultant activated with no issues!

Back