Windows 10 Upgrade to Windows 10 Home failures

edsmega

Honorable Member
Same issue as Adamd998. My update log looks just like his, but I didn't see a complete resolution on his thread. My computer is 2 or 3 years old and a purchased copy of Windows 7 was installed on the bare hardware after it was built. Asus motherboard, SSD system drive, all maintenance automatically installed every month so it is up to date. All the win 10 updates worked fine on my laptop but not on my desktop.

Neither the more information nor the help and support links were helpful.

Ed

Attachments

• update failures.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 531
huh? You do know we need your specs yes... and what do you mean by "worked on laptop but not desktop"?

The WX key is one system only and you can't have it on two machines but without details we can't help you much.

I would suggest that you go to www.tweaking.com and download the Windows Repair tool. Once you have completed the download lauch it and on the left check all of the boxes that pertain to windows 7 and then invoke the repair. This is what Microsoft ran on my PC that fixed my issues that allowed windows 10 to install. It may work for you too.

huh? You do know we need your specs yes... and what do you mean by "worked on laptop but not desktop"?

The WX key is one system only and you can't have it on two machines but without details we can't help you much.

Attachments

• specs.pdf
    62.1 KB · Views: 560
Attached is the display from one of the control panel pages, I assume it has the relevant specs; if not please be specific about what else would be helpful.

What worked on my laptop but not my desk top is the Microsoft monthly update process which loads up the windows 10 components on a windows 7 system.

don't know what you mean by a WX key.

Ok so you have a Windows 7 (sp1) desktop system that you want to upgrade to Windows 10;
  1. Is the windows 7 activated?
  2. Does it have any anti-virus programs... avast, windows defender, avg etc?
  3. Have you scanned the system with a malware sniffer... if so what one?
  4. How good is your (lan not wifi) internet... is downloading 6g more than you can manage?
  5. Have you backed up any files needed so that if the shit hits the fan a format isn't a major stress?

Since you are attaching PDF files for you graphics, I was wondering if you are aware of the Snipping Tool and how you can capture part of the Screen, then upload that file using the upload a file button? My eyes are old so I need help ... ;)

There may be a file called setupact.log in a $Windows.~BT folder which may help you to see what is happening. Quite a few folks have run into problems with the size of drive they are using to upgrade and not having enough free space. The exact percentage where the upgrade fails, both task and overall, may help pin down where the problem is occurring.

If you get a chance, you might attach a picture of your Disk Management window.

0x80240020 WU_E_NO_INTERACTIVE_USER Operation did not complete because there is no logged-on interactive user.

According to a Dell article, running the Update Troubleshooter in Windows 8.1 should resolve the problem, I am not sure what troubleshooters Windows 7 has.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...80240020/d695e827-9774-4e10-8972-df8d51a7bb51

Last edited:
Ok so you have a Windows 7 (sp1) desktop system that you want to upgrade to Windows 10;
  1. Is the windows 7 activated?
  2. Does it have any anti-virus programs... avast, windows defender, avg etc?
  3. Have you scanned the system with a malware sniffer... if so what one?
  4. How good is your (lan not wifi) internet... is downloading 6g more than you can manage?
  5. Have you backed up any files needed so that if the shit hits the fan a format isn't a major stress?
1. I'm not sure what activated means, but I have been using this win 7 system for several years.
2. Eset NOD32 antivirus
3. Nod 32 scan - no threats
4. ?? I have 22G free on my SSD, my download speed according to speedtest is 16 mbps
5. I have redundant backups

Since you are attaching PDF files for you graphics, I was wondering if you are aware of the Snipping Tool and how you can capture part of the Screen, then upload that file using the upload a file button? My eyes are old so I need help ... ;)

There may be a file called setupact.log in a $Windows.~BT folder which may help you to see what is happening. Quite a few folks have run into problems with the size of drive they are using to upgrade and not having enough free space. The exact percentage where the upgrade fails, both task and overall, may help pin down where the problem is occurring.

If you get a chance, you might attach a picture of your Disk Management window.

0x80240020 WU_E_NO_INTERACTIVE_USER Operation did not complete because there is no logged-on interactive user.

According to a Dell article, running the Update Troubleshooter in Windows 8.1 should resolve the problem, I am not sure what troubleshooters Windows 7 has.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...80240020/d695e827-9774-4e10-8972-df8d51a7bb51

You have given me a lot to chew on. I will look for the logs you mentioned. Sounds promising.

As far a the snip tool, it has been so long since I tried it, I don't remember what I didn't like about it. Would a jpg format be better?
Granted the initial size of the image I posted does seem small, but there are options at the top of my PDF display to enlarge the image.

. I'm not sure what activated means,
on windows you press the [windows key] + [pause] to show your system details
Screenshot (169).png

I have 22G free on my SSD,
thats very tight for the normal upgrade... can you delete something?

on windows you press the [windows key] + [pause] to show your system details
View attachment 30668

thats very tight for the normal upgrade... can you delete something?

Yes, it shows activated. The 22G freespace is on a 120G ssd system drive. Most of what I could delete is on a separate data drive. I have been considering getting a larger one. If this was a space problem, wouldn't I be getting messages indicating a lack of space?

Have you tried the link I gave you.. Let us know even if it doesn't work.

The SSD is probably too small. I would guess the archive folder created will be 20 GB or greater.. The error message you got, however doesn't seem to agree with the small SSD, but sometimes those error messages aren't worth much.

Have you tried the link I gave you.. Let us know even if it doesn't work.

The SSD is probably too small. I would guess the archive folder created will be 20 GB or greater.. The error message you got, however doesn't seem to agree with the small SSD, but sometimes those error messages aren't worth much.
The link goes to 114 pages of stuff. I perused it briefly, but I will need more time to go through it more carefully.

I looked for the log you suggested. I couldn't find the directory you said it was in, but I did find a log by that name and all the entries were weeks old.

I should think that running out of space would result in a very clear message to that effect. However, since you said it could take 60G and I have 20G that could be a problem. Someone else mentioned the space problem as well. I bought a 240G SSD today and will transfer my system to it from the 120G device I now have. I suppose that is an expensive way to find out if space limitations are a problem. I have other demands on my time, so it may be a while before I can try it. Thanks for your help.

The link to the Microsoft forum gives specific steps. I have no idea if it will solve the problem and it does take a registry hack. It says 1594 folks found it helpful, so maybe you will get lucky..

At this point I would install a fresh Windows 7 (thats Windows ONLY) on the new ssd then activate/ patch it to sp1 and use the Microsoft media creation tool to upgrade it to WX... at that point if it doesn't work then you know its not ever going too.

Back