Windows 10 Upgrading Windows 8 laptops to 10

Widows95

I've been out of the PC market for a long time. Right now, I've got an old, assembled AMD/ASUS desktop from 2007, which my dad bought and helped me build for personal use. It's been running XP ever since and I've painfully upgraded the hardware over time. More recently, I've used Windows 7 at work for years but had to hand back the laptop they gave me when I quit. It's been over a year since and I'm back to my desktop. It's sluggish and I need something that's more powerful and runs a new OS.

I've been looking around for Windows 8 ultrabooks that are on sale and I know 10 is coming up. Windows 10 is still a long way away and I cannot delay a new PC purchase till it's out. I'd like to, but one of the HDDs on my PC (the one on which I installed XP) got corrupted a while ago and since I reinstalled XP, I don't have any of security updates from before. So it could blue screen on me again and I'd rather avoid that.

Now from the demos I've been doing at stores, I'm not very happy with Windows 8 and my friends tell me I'm not the only one complaining about the ui-ux issues.

Questions:
If I buy, say, an HP or a Dell laptop, will it be upgradable to 10?
I know the 8 builds that come on it are pretty vanilla, but is it good to go for a vanilla 10 experience?
Will sourcing drivers be a problem when I upgrade to 10? Will it be as functional as the OEM designed it to be?
Will I have problems with warranty and support if I change OS?
If not, is there an option to upgrade to 10 through my manufacturer?

Thanks.

Last edited:
As it stands right now, MS will be offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade for Windows 8/8.1 users through the "Store" app. So you should be good to go when 10 is finally released to the public, sometime in 2015.

As it stands right now, MS will be offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade for Windows 8/8.1 users through the "Store" app. So you should be good to go when 10 is finally released to the public, sometime in 2015.

Sounds good to me. :biggrin:

Does that mean I'll still get OEM support for my PC if I upgrade?

I would not worry abour OEM support. It is pretty rudementary anyhow and usually only good for 1 year. If you have questions/problems, come here. You will certainly be better served than by most OEMs.

That's true; I mostly like to fix things myself or with the help of a community before asking around for help from an OEM, but I'm also worried about hardware issues. You see, with my Android phone, I know that rooting it voids ALL warranty, even when all I need for them is to fix a defective volume rocker that has nothing to do with my custom ROM. Will I have similar problems with the OEM of my PC?

I guess I should call them up and ask what kind of support they'd offer if I upgraded the OS.

Has that been confirmed, Bass? I have read several third party comments on it, but haven't seen anything yet from Microsoft?? It wasn't addressed at the opening,,

I would not bet on it. There is a lot of confusion on the subject.

On September 28th, this year, Microsoft President of Indonesia "confirms" that Win 10 will be free to all Win 8/8.1 users.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2688...ndows-9-will-be-free-to-windows-8-owners.html

Since then, there is no rebuttal from Microsoft main office, although they did not confirm that either.
The silence leans towards the validity of such "rumour".

What he confirmed was that Windows 9 would be free. The statement, I would suggest, began with a lack of knowledge.
I am sure it will cost MS very little to offer a free upgrade to windows 9. By the way, what's Windows 9 (Just joking)

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I went ahead and bought an HP laptop; got my Windows 10 upgrade too but I guess everyone here knew everyone's getting it.

Back
Top Bottom