Windows 10 What happened to my Windows installation?

JosiahPittman23

I went to bed last night with everything running perfect, I went to work and I just got back to my PC giving me this error upon boot... ?? ONLY Windows has been installed on this Samsung SSD... ever, I had a Linux distro on a second Intel SSD but got rid of it a few days ago. I don't even have the second SSD plugged into the MB. What could be causing this?
cc3ea58436fb2451bf8357236bd06bc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have grub as your boot loader, the second stage of the boot process would read configuration from the second drive which told your computer how to boot both Linux and Windows. Now grub is complaining it can't find the Linux boot partition. You need to boot into a Windows recovery disc, you can create them from any Windows computer and fix your boot process.

Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

You have grub as your boot loader, the second stage of the boot process would read configuration from the second drive which told your computer how to boot both Linux and Windows. Now grub is complaining it can't find the Linux boot partition. You need to boot into a Windows recovery disc, you can create them from any Windows computer and fix your boot process.

Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

Thank you! These commands from the Windows recovery disk seemed to have fixed the problem... but I don't know why it JUST doing that now as I had gotten rid of Linux a few days ago and booted up perfectly fine after that... But thanks again

bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /ScanOs
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Are you sure you didn't just hibernate or put it to sleep that would allow it to still boot.

I'm positive I completely turned off the PC... I even unplugged the power cable a few days ago (after the PC was already shut down of course)

Back
Top Bottom