Windows 10 Where has Edge gone.......?

guitarman2

Please help......
Yesterday on startup, the Edge icon was missing from the taskbar as well as all my apps. Several system restores didn't have any effect on this problem, so I'm at a loss as to both the cause & more importantly, a solution.
Oddly, Word also disappeared from my apps., but I've somehow managed to get this back.
Additionally, in Settings, it is impossible to remove Edge as the default browser even though I can't access it, for some reason. I'm having to use Google Chrome in the interim, but I'd got used to Edge & would like it back!

Do hope that someone a lot more computer savvy than myself, can help resolve these issues.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,
have you tried doing a search for the Edge browser?

try running these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

See if running the apps troubleshooter helps:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...790db/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

A more involved solution is here:
How to Reinstall Microsoft Edge Browser - All things technical - tips & tricks

Hello kemical.

Tried the sfc/scannow and it didn't find any issues to report.

Just tried the dism/online/cleanup-image/restore health and after pressing enter, received a message stating Error 87 dism/ online/cleanup-image/restorehealth is unknown.

Forgive me if I'm being a bit dense, but when you suggest a 'search for Edge browser', could you be a bit more specific please?

when you suggest a 'search for Edge browser', could you be a bit more specific please?
Sure.
Right click on your Start Icon and from the revealed list choose search (you may have cortana enabled in which case she will probably pop up).

All you need to do is do a search for the Edge browser and see what turns up.

That's what I've tried a few times now..............
Just get directed to a choice of microsoft websites. Tried downloading Edge from one of them and just get the, 'Let's get you started steps 1,2 & 3' thing. Tried going through that procedure & then nothing happens once I get to 3 !
BTW, the apps. troubleshooter couldn't find anything. What is strange is that on a couple of occasions the edge news/homepage has suddenly appeared, but I have no way of knowing why or how to get back to it.
Stephen.

Hello again kemical,

Thanks for the further suggestion...
I downloaded & ran the anti-malware software, but it didn't turn up anything untoward. Oddly, it opened via Edge as its blue logo screen came up briefly before the program.

I have looked into the 'more involved process' you posted, but am a little unsure if I can follow all those steps accurately. I'm getting on a bit (67!) and not that great at such procedures, unfortunately.
Stephen.

You can try the following
  • Navigate to %APPDATA%\Local\Package and delete Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
  • Open an elevated powershell prompt and type the following
  • Code:
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode

Hmm... What about the solution offered at the end of this guide?
Microsoft Edge Disappeared on Windows 10 [Fix]
'Morning kemical,

Thanks for that latest suggestion......
Just tried it several times, but was disappointed to receive this message after hitting enter:
"Get-AppxPackage... is not recognised as the name of a cmdlet, function, script.....etc"
I checked & rechecked my spelling, but could find no mistakes. Don't really know what to try now....
Stephen.

Morning Stephen,
sorry to hear it didn't work but why not try Neemobeer's suggestion above? He's an excellent tech so would at least give his solution a try?
Post back with any results
Good luck!
Ross

Have you tried rolling back your computer prior to the time your Edge browser disappeared using SYSTEM RESTORE?? This is the easiest way to undo accidental "whoops!" type damage you did to your Windows or from accidental virus damage.

If System Restore fails to work, please post back the EXACT Make/Model of your computer so that we can provide some better help for you.

The next question we'll all want to know from you is did you buy this computer with Win10 pre-loaded on it from the factory or did you do a Windows10 upgrade from an earlier version yourself? If so, what version of Windows was it upgraded from; for example, Win7/8/8.1/8.1.1?

P.S. It's not possible to reinstall the Edge browser from a download, since it must be uninstalled first, and that CANNOT be accomplished as Edge is built into the kernel of the Win10 OS (Operating System). :noway: 10 years ago, the IE browser could be uninstalled from XP, but that was changed in 2007. I believe you are operating on old outdated information there.:ohno:

Good luck, :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom