Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
I thought it could be a good controversial thread to create..Link Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URL

I went to Avast years ago. Got fed up with Norton and Mcaffee and their bloat. I tried AVG and ran into a problem, it froze PC if mouse went over a file with SP2 for XP or the row of files and spent several minutes scanning it. Their forum seemed a bit snooty and unhelpful so I switched to Avast.
Joe
I used Avast, it was ok. I used Norton for years, but tired of the large resource use, had AVG too. Same problems, switched to MSE, turned out to be the best freeware provided by microsoft to complement thier software. Then I upgraded my service provider, which gave me McAfee Security Center for free, and having thoroughly vetted it, I can say that it works very nicely, lovin' it :)

My roomie was using Shaw (our IP) Secure provided by FSecure. Recently they switched to it being provided by McAfee. Instead of doing that he opted to go w/ MSE. His rational was it was less hassle (he's not very puter savvy) and he felt it made sense, to him, to have MS protect their Windows software.

Over the past years most of us IT Pros have not felt good about either Norton or McAfee... hard to shake that off. I always used to recommend Avast, until MSE came along.

But, certainly, each to their own. As long as a person has protection installed, that is what is of paramount importance!

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Last edited:
McAfee is a no-brainer to install, has a 'reset to default' in case you goof it up, pretty user friendly, plenty of live tech support, too. Makes it a nice choice, free payware with great firewall augmentation, low resource usage (about 70k memory). I had an aversion to them as well, but one bad update and a history of selling info, branded them as spyware for a bit. (I can forgive 'em, and keep a wary eye on 'em lol.)

Last edited:
Ok but, each to their own... for me, I'll happily stay, as I have for years, w/ MSE. Thanks anyway. :)

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

I here You on that,but My choice and even many Companies go with Norton.The one funny thing about paid for virus programs is that they always miss a ,....Let's say "Trojan" out there.There is always one free program that Everyone forget"s about that's installed in every copy of Windows,and it is called "Windows Defender".I use it right along My Norton and I seem to have a 94% complete defense.

Norton is good payware, just got tired of thier usage of system resources, mcaffee security suite sits at around 70k of memory, and provides complete security, stealthing, anti every bad thing, a good cleanup utiluity, great firewall augmentation, etc. still exploring the myriad features - can see why it's about the most expensive out there, to have thier seal on your website runs over 2,000 per year, says alot. They are now owned by Intel. (They advertise the free service I get compliments of my isp as a 200 dollar value.)

Last edited:
TJ,

One must run Defender w/ any A-V as Defender deals w/ Malware. One must have both anti-virus protection & anti-malware protection. And especially w/ bloody Norton... worms will blow right by it.

MSE, does both A-V and A-M.

Windows Defender, imbedded in Windows 8 is MSE and is ON, by default. Ergo, nothing need be installed w/ Windows 8... security is built-in & ON when the System comes on.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Last edited:
That's an interesting point, Drew. MSE will be 'imbedded' with windows 8 as 'Defender.' Will the current incompatibility still exist between MSE and McAfee when it does?

#1, I have to admit, I know not of what conflict you refer because they would never be in the same place @ the same time. As I say elsewhere, because Defender, in Win8, is what it is AND sealed by the fact that it is ON, by default, nothing has to be (added or) installed w/ Windows8. Ergo, in 8, nothing (example, McAfee) would be in a box when Defender is, already, there & running, rendering incompatibility moot.

And technically, I shouldn't say "will be"... should be, IS imbedded & ON, by default.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Last edited:
My concern is conflicts that could arise when both MSE and McAfee are running in real-time mode simultaneously, causing issues with Windows resource management. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone scanner, it could affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core, using more than one could cause instability, both might try to update their definition databases at the same time, or one might interpret the activity of the other as suspicious behavior, etc. Will we still have a choice?

Last edited:
I've wondered about conflicts also. The long standing rule is to have only one AV progran installed.
Joe

ABSOLUTELY, Joe. Never, ever more than 1. You are 100% right on that 1.

Also, not more than 1 software firewall. Same solid rule for both.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

By inference, defender precludes the 'need' for anything else? Sounds like we might not have a choice, people like thier payware, in many cases.

Last edited:
In Windows 8, yes, can be thought of that way, exactly.

Why it can be confusing is Windows Defender, outside of Win8, is only anti-malware and is shut down IF w/ MSE since, MSE does both. W/ just an A-V program, Defender would, also, have to be used.

In Win8, Windows Defender is the complete package of MSE but, under that name. Making 8 neat in that no action is required besides, powering up the OS. And, of course, its Firewall is ON, just as automatically, too.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

I need to edit the poll as I've forgotten a few options.
Link Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URL

was using AVG a while back, bloatware - false positives, went to mse,which is very good freeware from micosoft, recently tried McAfee security suite as i got it for free from my isp, now i'm back to Microsoft Security Essentials, doesn't get in my way, good protection, found that McAfee would decide to update when i needed the computer, crashing ie, they need to fix the code they put in ie, too. I use mse with eset online scanner, also like Malwarebyte's Antimalware, too.

Speaking of Mc...

Shaw Cable (here, anyway) switch from F-Secure to McAfee. One has no obligation in a case like that to use what 'they' are offering. When the transition was coming I switched my roommate's machine over to MSE; mine was, already, using it. I did not want him going w/ McAfee.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Back