Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
No, I mean the Internet. This is not a topic to debate. Any computer connected to the Internet for any length of time must have protection. Period. It is bad & dangerous for that machine and w/ that machine being vulnerable that machine can then be used to propagate infections to other machines (on the Web). Either way running a machine on the Internet w/out security protection is just plain wrong.

Cheers,
Drew

View attachment 25886
Can you explain in a little more detail of how one infected computer can spread a virus through the Internet to another computer that has an antivirus? I am trying to understand what you are thinking because I am clearly not seeing something that you are seeing. What I'm asking for is something like "The infected computers sends out email with a virus." (That example holds no weight because the target computer would have an antivirus.) I cannot think of a single case where one infected computer can infect a typical computer with a standard firewall via the Internet.

Can you explain in a little more detail of how one infected computer can spread a virus through the Internet to another computer that has an antivirus? I am trying to understand what you are thinking because I am clearly not seeing something that you are seeing. What I'm asking for is something like "The infected computers sends out email with a virus." (That example holds no weight because the target computer would have an antivirus.) I cannot think of a single case where one infected computer can infect a typical computer with a standard firewall via the Internet.

What YOU are missing is something called Bots. Anyway, I'm done w/ this conversation. No one should run a computer on the Internet w/out security protection. End of story. There are no explanations or excuses that make doing otherwise acceptable.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

Some of what you have written I cannot understand what you are meaning to say but, sorry, I can't make sense of it. I am not a big fan of Webroot, @ all, but, that's neither here nor there, right now. To answer your query, use the OS Firewall and, no, don't add anything to it although, again, I am not sure what you mean by that. One must only use ONE software firewall @ a time in a machine; unless one is behind a router, that is acceptable, in addition to the OS firewall.

Cheers,
Drew

View attachment 25881
Sorry so complicated for you, but I got it for now. I have all the protection I need with Malware-bytes Antimalware Pro and Webroot Antivirus with no conflict. I just like a little more control over Firewall that will not add more Hips add-on like some firewalls do. So I am trying an extra protection for the firewall called Windows Firewall control. Gives me a little more filtering. It is just a Demo for now, but if I like it, I might become a registered user for $10.00. As for Webroot Products, they are some of the best there is at keeping you safe from bad sites, bad downloads, and phishing sites. Look it up on Softpedia and you will see what it is like. I like it so far and I am Running Windows 7x64. I tried Windows 8, and the update. I do not care for that, but that is also neither here or there.

Sorry so complicated for you, but I got it for now. I have all the protection I need with Malware-bytes Antimalware Pro and Webroot Antivirus with no conflict. I just like a little more control over Firewall that will not add more Hips add-on like some firewalls do. So I am trying an extra protection for the firewall called Windows Firewall control. Gives me a little more filtering. It is just a Demo for now, but if I like it, I might become a registered user for $10.00. As for Webroot Products, they are some of the best there is at keeping you safe from bad sites, bad downloads, and phishing sites. Look it up on Softpedia and you will see what it is like. I like it so far and I am Running Windows 7x64. I tried Windows 8, and the update. I do not care for that, but that is also neither here or there.

Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 7. You should be willing to upgrade to it. Sorry, but, as an IT Pro it is my duty to put forth good advice.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

What YOU are missing is something called Bots. Anyway, I'm done w/ this conversation. No one should run a computer on the Internet w/out security protection. End of story. There are no explanations or excuses that make doing otherwise acceptable.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 25887
You state your opinions then you retreat without trying to get both of us to understand both sides fully. That, my friend, is not a discussion, that is trying to argue just to argue in itself instead of trying to bring understanding, knowledge, and sharing of experience. I'm sorry I wasted my time even replying to you the first time because you don't care about my opinion at all.

1. I was not arguing nor do I have any interest in ever arguing. I'm sorry but, I have to admit, I didn't realize an opinion was being given on anything.

2. I always respect people voicing opinions.

3. I understood you to say you thought it ok to run a computer on the Internet w/out security protection. It is not.

4. Yet you state you are using some form of security. Webroot & other products you mentioned.

So either I'm utterly confused or I have missed your point. Either way, please forgive me & accept my apology.

Again, to answer your question, I can only repeat, use the OS firewall and things should work fine.

Excuse me if you thought I had "retreated"... I hadn't; actually, I didn't know there was anything from which to "retreat".

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

I would strongly urge both of you @Drew @JoelM to stay on topic regarding the original poster's message.

It is extremely unwise to run your system without anti-virus and anti-malware software. Use independent software lab studies and you'll probably still find ESET Smart Security and Kaspersky on the top of the list.

Does this mean McAfee or Symantec are not an option? Of course not. It is your decision about how you run your system.

I use avast! along with Spybot S&D.
Does anyone on here use two different softwares at the same time? Is that even possible without a conflict?

I use avast! along with Spybot S&D.
Does anyone on here use two different softwares at the same time? Is that even possible without a conflict?
Anti-virus and anti-malware software usually won't conflict.

Having different computers & most having more than one OS, I don't put all of my eggs in one basket.

Am currently running (on various computers):

Bitdefender Total Security 2014 (unlimited devices-Sphere)
Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 (single license)
Emsisoft Anti-Malware (complete protection 1 user) Newly listed on AV-Comparatives site w/100% detection rate!
ESET NOD 32 AV 7.0.302.26 (3 user license)
McAfee Internet Security (1 year supplied by Dell)

Along with for secondary protection on all computers:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro Lifetime)

And this one on my main 2:

SuperAntiSpyware (Pro Lifetime)

This list supersedes any previous posted ones.

Though I pay for my security, there are also some good free ones. There is no, as in zero, excuse not to be running security. It is dangerous practice to be connected to the Internet w/out active security running. This is non-debatable, brands are, but not the actual practice of running w/out security.

Cat

I was using AVG, Avast, Norton, and McAfee when I in Primary School for my computer. :peace:
That's really bad :ohno:. Just make computer slow but virus still broke my computer :worship:
I used it for a long time

Until I used Microsoft Security Essentials
I don't know just my suggestion or not.
But i believe Microsoft Security Essentials because there is a "Microsoft" word in that brand
LOL

Well you need to look into the firm doing the tests some of them the AV makers pay them for the test. I think if you check AV Comparatives site you may see vast differences in results from the onr above. One thing is consistent is that MSE does poorly.
Joe

I went to Avast years ago. Got fed up with Norton and Mcaffee and their bloat. I tried AVG and ran into a problem, it froze PC if mouse went over a file with SP2 for XP or the row of files and spent several minutes scanning it. Their forum seemed a bit snooty and unhelpful so I switched to Avast.
Joe
Couldent agree more, Avast is by far the best program overall, and not only that, even the free version is good, its takes a minimal of memory its updated all the time, and most importent, its realy REALY stabile, BULLGARD and MCAFFEE are NOT TO BE CONSIDERED for any who use a GAMING pc, its slow the costemer service is non existent and its slow the pc insanly... regards Tinnen

Back