Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.6%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
Yeah Avast has really gone bloatware downhill. It was speedy and had a small footprint back in the day.

I've been using Windows Security exclusively for about a month and it's been fine. No issues. The only annoying thing is the ransomware protection pop up that comes up when running some applications. But that's it.

Im using the best anti virus, kaspersky internet security

Envoyé de mon SM-J810F en utilisant Tapatalk

Im using the best anti virus, kaspersky internet security

Envoyé de mon SM-J810F en utilisant Tapatalk

I think Kaspersky is very good but it's also become very bloated and gets in everywhere on your computer. They have pop ups for their VPN, password manager, their sandboxed window for financial sites, etc.

There are many different anti-virus programs on the market. Some people use Norton, others use McAfee, and still others use Kaspersky. I have used all of these programs at one time or another and have had good experiences with each of them.

Norton is a well-known program that many people trust. It has a good detection rate and is easy to use. McAfee is also a well-known and trusted program. It has a high detection rate and is easy to use. Kaspersky is a lesser-known program, but it has a very high detection rate and is also easy to use.

I have used all three of these programs and have been happy with them. I would recommend any of them to someone looking for an anti-virus program.

After canceling auto-renewal due to a 2.6 times increase in subscription rate I am considering dropping Norton after using it for decades. Their marketing tactics stink. They also stopped my Norton Utilities Premium as well, but it in nice to have. With the 2.6 times increase in renewal cost for 360+LifeLock I think I'll wait until a few days before my subscription runs out then install a new subscription from Amazon or other source at a lower cost. It seems to me the wrong tactic for Norton to charge long time users 2 to 3 times the rate that a new subscriber is charged. Something not right about such distorted marketing. Maybe Norton went "woke"? Are others thinking along the same lines?

After canceling auto-renewal due to a 2.6 times increase in subscription rate I am considering dropping Norton after using it for decades. Their marketing tactics stink. They also stopped my Norton Utilities Premium as well, but it in nice to have. With the 2.6 times increase in renewal cost for 360+LifeLock I think I'll wait until a few days before my subscription runs out then install a new subscription from Amazon or other source at a lower cost. It seems to me the wrong tactic for Norton to charge long time users 2 to 3 times the rate that a new subscriber is charged. Something not right about such distorted marketing. Maybe Norton went "woke"? Are others thinking along the same lines?
Norton and the others slow many machines and are so invasive that it makes you feel like a virus is running on your machine,

I tried them all and none of them works best for me, on Win7 x64.

I use VirusTotal to scan downloads and monitor new startups with Mike Lin's old tool "startupmonitor.exe" which is the lowest footprint 1st base protection anywhere, then there's obsolete, Winpatrol which does more with low CPU use.

So I rely on secure addons for Firefox and Thunderbird for spam and junk which is where 99% of trojans are distributed.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The first time i used anything "Norton" was back in the 1970's when using an Osborne-I on just a phone connection to a number that featured some small utility routines by a guy named Norton. 300-baud stuff. Not sure when I got into more "advanced" PC stuff, but I found Norton Utilities was useful to clean out my PC and do simple scans to detect worms called "Creeper", Trojan horse programs and one that seemed to float everywhere that I cannot remember the name. It was everywhere. Then sometime in the 1980's Norton got into the anti-virus software and I have used his stuff sense then. He sold it to Symantec and so on. The last bunch came in with hard nose marketing. I will stick with it maybe. Someone suggested using "Sophos," but I'm busy and no time looking into it. Hurricane IAN aftermath has me busy.

You mean fool proof? I would agree. It's offline detection isn't that good, system performance impact is very bad. It's easier to evade detection than some other products and it's the only security product you can easily disable with a GPO

I have tried dozens of AV, and the one that is the fastest and works best on old PCs, such as Win7, is Webroot. Webroot still ofifically supports Win7 x32 x64. It is in the top 10 AV, on PCMag, and it requires an internet connection for most of the app to work, it is not an offline AV.

My brother thinks Windows defender is a full proof anti-virus program. Hum. Not sure about that. Anyone else think that?
Windows Defender is not even in the top 20 AV, according to PCMag, and almost any professional AV review. However, WinDef has been improved a lot in 15 years, and it is useful. It is good enough if you do not shop online, or go to new websites frequently. If you shop online, go to new websites frequently, or are a business person, you must get a paid AV, such as Malwarebytes, Webroot, McAfee, BitDefender.

If your goal is better web browsing protection, please install browser extensions: Ublock Origin, Malwarebytes Guard. They will make your browsing much safer, but not perfectly safe.

Remember, Security is a Journey, not a Destination.

I liked Norton's a lot better before the wannabe Bill Gates took over and started badgering us with countless ads and price increases. Every time they pretend to renew my subscription the price quadruples. Then I do a workaround and get it for even less that before. B oring.

I've been using Windows Defender for years, and it's been working fine, thus far.

BTW, what is MSE?

Back
Top Bottom