Windows 7 WiFi Connection Occasionally Drops, and Will Only Re-connect When I Restart My Rouder

mfranzs123

Hello!,

Generally once or twice a day, my computer will suddenly drop its internet connection.

It will then start an endless loop of trying to connect:
  1. Sensing the network is there
  2. Trying to connect (With the loading symbol and "Initializing")
  3. Appearing to connect successfully (but when I try an open a web page, nothing loads, and I recieve an error message telling me there's no connection)
  4. A few seconds later, the yellow triangular warning sign appears next to the wireless bar.
  5. A few seconds after that, it drops the connection, and then starts over at step one
  6. A few seconds later, it will start again at step one.

The only way I am able to get the network back on is to:
  1. Disconnect manually (press "disconnect")
  2. Turn of my wireless antenna on my computer
  3. Turn on and off my router
  4. Turn back on the antenna
  5. Reconnect

I have to do these 5 steps every time it disconnects.

This is only happening on this one computer - other computers on the network aren't experiencing the problem (running XP and Win 7).

I have an Asus U56E-BAL7.

Can anyone give me any insight onto why this could be happening, and what I could do to fix it?

Thanks!
~mfranzs123

Last edited:
I take it that this is a laptop. You have a few options to try. First, see it there is an update for your laptops wireless adapter, checking the Asus website. For your router see if there is a firmware update. Then make sure you have all your MS updates.

Have you tried to reset your router, by following the manufacturers steps. Generally there is a reset button/slot to push and hold down for a specific amount of time.

Can we assume your local connection does not drop off, just the internet part?

What type of internet connection do you have and are you using a Gateway (combined router and modem) or separate devices?

Thanks for all of your replies!

Bassfisher: I will try your suggestions, and will get back to you with the results. Thanks!

Saltgrass: Yes, only the internet drops off. I have Version FiOS, with the Fios Actiontec Router, and I believe that it contains both the router and modem.

Thanks once again!

Additionally, open device manager, expand network adapter, select then right click your wireless adapter and choose properties.
Select the Power Management Tab and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not selected. Then type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
select then right click on your wireless adapter and choose properties
uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 and OK your way back out of there.

Additionally, open device manager, expand network adapter, select then right click your wireless adapter and choose properties.
Select the Power Management Tab and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not selected. Then type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
select then right click on your wireless adapter and choose properties
uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 and OK your way back out of there.

Thanks! I just did as you recommended. The first step makes sense, but won't I eventually begin to run into problems if IPv6 is off?

Thanks! I just did as you recommended. The first step makes sense, but won't I eventually begin to run into problems if IPv6 is off?
The short answer is no not really.
The somewhat longer answer is, there are some native features in Windows 7 the rely on IPv6 as their backbone.
HomeGroups
Direct Access
And part of Remote Assistance
It's easy enough to revert back by checking the box again and worth experimenting just in case you have one of the now dwindling list of routers that still has some issues with IPv6

The short answer is no not really.
The somewhat longer answer is, there are some native features in Windows 7 the rely on IPv6 as their backbone.
HomeGroups
Direct Access
And part of Remote Assistance
It's easy enough to revert back by checking the box again and worth experimenting just in case you have one of the now dwindling list of routers that still has some issues with IPv6

Gotcha, Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom