Windows 10 Win 10 Freezing after startup

Pagus

I'm having the exact same issue as original poster. Cold boot and on desktop. Usually 5-10 min in I'll lockup and freeze. Requires restart. From then on I have no more issues the rest of the day or night, even when playing high demand games. If I shut down or sleep it's hit or miss if it will freeze again that day. But only seems to do it from a cold boot. No BSOD or any other issues with PC it runs liek a champ other than this freeze usually daily.

Event manager shows just the critical powered off without shutting down.

I can post pic of my warnings and errors to compare to original posters

I can post setup but we have the same MOBO and CPU combo. I've also been dealing with this for 5-6months and it's just annoying and I'd like it fixed.

I've tried:
New PSU
Updated Bios flashed from usb
All drivers are updated.
CPU and memory are compatible via msi website.
Mem test ran all night 8+ passes with no issues
Old and new VGA drivers
Fresh install windows 10
Fresh install windows 7
Reseated Ram, CPU, cooler with new paste, and VGAs (sli)
Power options set to max performance.

Ordered a new SSD to rule out drive as culprit. I could get a cheap stick of RAM just to swap out and rule that out as well. But I am still paying off original components.. I'd hate to have to buy more if I can help it.

You can test your HDD with Seagate SeaTools and your ram with memtest 86 both are available on the Hiren Boot CD Download Hiren’s BootCD 15.2 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform I have the exact same issue, except my laptop will always lock up and the problem is the graphics driver. I can't use anything newer than what was released in April of last year. You may want to locate a driver from 6 or 7 months ago or when ever the problem started and install it then go in to device manager and roll back your graphics driver it should pick up the old one.

Memtest ran without issues. Showed no errors. I've used Samsung magic drive software to check the health of my ssd . It was given green light. I'm assuming seatools are similar. But l'm willing to try everything. I'll look into my nvidia drivers but have a gsync setup. I'd hate to loose that support for an older driver.

I'm having the exact same issue as original poster. Cold boot and on desktop. Usually 5-10 min in I'll lockup and freeze. Requires restart. From then on I have no more issues the rest of the day or night, even when playing high demand games. If I shut down or sleep it's hit or miss if it will freeze again that day. But only seems to do it from a cold boot. No BSOD or any other issues with PC it runs liek a champ other than this freeze usually daily.

Event manager shows just the critical powered off without shutting down.

I can post pic of my warnings and errors to compare to original posters

I can post setup but we have the same MOBO and CPU combo. I've also been dealing with this for 5-6months and it's just annoying and I'd like it fixed.

I've tried:
New PSU
Updated Bios flashed from usb
All drivers are updated.
CPU and memory are compatible via msi website.
Mem test ran all night 8+ passes with no issues
Old and new VGA drivers
Fresh install windows 10
Fresh install windows 7
Reseated Ram, CPU, cooler with new paste, and VGAs (sli)
Power options set to max performance.

Hi,
can you post what your actual components are as this may help us in find a solution. (I know you mention about your motherboard and cpu (MOBO: MSI X99 SLI-PLUS CPU: Intel i7 5820K) but please list all components)

I also moved all posts to do with your issue to it's own thread as these issues can sometimes run to some pages and it's simply easier if you have your own thread.

Last edited:
I also did some searching regarding locking up issues and your motherboard. Seems like your not on your own:
(If you have similar software to this user it might be worth testing)
MSI x99 SLI Plus Unstable

Thanks for moving, I could see how things could/would get confusing. Here are my components:

MSI X99S SLI Plus LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
2 x
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G in sli
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III (boot main drive)
CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler.
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W
WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 120-G2-1000-XR 1000W Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300)

Running windows 10 with fall update. All components where brand new on install. I was running a corsair PSU from my old PC ~5y/o. Replaced with above EVGA thinking maybe it was at fault.

As for the above link I'll look it over tonight and give it a try on my day off. Just got off my midnight shift and about to head to bed.

Ty again for the extra pair of eyes to look at this it's been stumping me!

Nice system Pagus! Let us know if the link helps at all. If it doesn't then we'll go on and troubleshoot other areas.

Reading through your explanation once again it might help if you run these scans (other users have tried these scans with freezing issues and it has met with some success although not always):
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Did sfc scan and these are my results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\Windows\system32>

Ran 2nd command:

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

First command again:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For

Ok downloaded iso and ran command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Gave me :

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

Ran scannow again after repair and :

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For

I added CBS log file to post.

Attachments

• CBS.rar
    471.5 KB · Views: 160
Restarted and ran scan again:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Thought I restarted after iso push but I'm a bit scatterbrained today. I'll keep you up to date on any changes.

It does sound like your getting somewhere with this Pagus, fingers crossed it helps with the freeze.

First boot this AM and freeze within 1min of getting to desktop. Getting some warning sin event manager but nothing I can figure out. Ran scannow again and passed 100%

Here are snips of my event report. This is from a restart with no freeze. Since It probably wont freeze again till tomorrow. When it does I'll post those.

Attachments

• Startup no freeze.zip
    576.8 KB · Views: 180
Did a shutdown then reboot. Logged into windows and system hung at desktop and rebooted by self. Got a bug check error. attached pic and posted dump file. This is new =/ so frustrated right now.

Attachments

• bugcheck.PNG
    bugcheck.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 021916-7078-01.dmp
    262.1 KB · Views: 195
This looks like the Symantec BASH driver is causing the BSOD. You may want to see if there is an update to their software or try removing the product and do a re-install.

You have reset your motherboard, haven’t you? And please also remove the battery while you reset, and press the Power On switch without the power being connected, to assure that anything goes back. But you have done that.

Remove for the time being any extra option you don't need (you may have an old video card just for testing) to see if it helps.

It looks like your motherboard is unstable. In the link above, to the motherboard specs and reviews, somebody complained and got an answer and help. Maybe you can ask for a swap or something.

Added
Crossing a better answer of Neemobeer, sorry for that, Henk

Last edited:
I've done bios updates and I've reset cmos, as well as removed battery. Just did this 2 days ago with no luck. I'll remove Norton and see if that helps with the Symantec bash driver.

I'm have a feeling it's MOBO but all the x99 mobos are getting crap for stability and reviews are not great for any of them. Stay tuned. ..

When i did search on your mobo it did seem that you were not alone.. As it seems you have plenty to go on i'll butt out and leave you in good hands.

BHDrvx64.sys is listed in the dump with BAD_POOL_HEADER and that it is corrupt, although the pool header may have already been corrupt when this driver tried to read the header, so after you remove Norton you may or may not get a different BSOD, so upload any new dumps

Back