Windows 7 Win 7 and windows xp machines not showing up in either's "Network/Network places"

dawkins

my Windows 7 pro 64-bit and Windows XP machines are connected via a netgear gs605 switch which then connect to a netgear wpn824v2 router to the internet.

Both Machines can find each other if I type \\machinename into explorer and files are then accessible by both.
I guess I should be happy that this works since most o fthe posts I've seen are related to people not being able to access there XP machine at all.

However I'm a stickler for trying to get things to work the way they are supposed to. So I'd like to try and get each machine tp show up in the others "Network/network places".

I have already made sure all the sharing settings are set properly in win 7.
In "advanced sharing settings" I've set it to Home network:

Turn on network discovery "ON"
Turn on File and printer sharing "ON"
Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in Public folders "ON"
Media streaming is off
Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56- bit encryption "ON"
Turn off password protected sharing "ON"
Use user accounts and passwords to connect to the other computers "ON"

Windows 7 does see my XP computer if I click see "full map" in "network and sharing center" however it is not click-able.

I have also installed and enabled link "layer topology Discovery on my XP machine.

I have also tried turning off my windows firewalls on both machines and in "norton antivirus 2010" all to no avail... the issue was unchanged.
Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have an answer for you but I am having a similar issue. I can see the entire network in the Win7 machine (which is comprised of three wirelessly connected pc's and one hardwired XP pc.) I can't see the workgroup network at all in the XP machine (I get a message that says "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.") I can, however, access the other pcs from the XP pc if I type in the machine name in a search or explorer window.

What I find strange and oddly disturbing is that on the Win7 pc I have Network discovery, off, File and Printer sharing off, I have Media streaming off, I have Public folders off, Password protection On, I have my personal folder shared with Nobody and yet I can still see and access the files from my XP pc.

What's more weird is that I have other users on the Win7 machine that have their folders and other settings as shared and they are not accessible to the XP machine.

I know I'm rambling on but I am really confused about how Win7 file sharing works...:frown:

I think I did figure out one thing. If you allow windows to manage the HomeGroup connections, different computers on the network with the same user name and passwords can share files regardless of the settings. Seems like a security flaw to me...

just create shortcut to another pc itz working..!! u cant see in network places.. but shortcut working. i have same issue

Back