Windows 7 WIN 7 DOES NOT RECOGNIZE ALL INSTALLED HARDDRIVES

EdAWood

Hey all,

I have recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my barebones system that I built. A physical descriptions is:
Gigabyte GL-P945-PL-S3 Motherboard with an Intel Dual Core Processer running @ 2.3ghz
Three (3) internal hdd. One (1) 1tb SATA, One (1) 250gb SATA, and one (1) 250gb PATA EIDE drive
I also have an internal Optical drive (DVD Burner - HP 1040I) that is jumped as slave on the EIDE cable of
the 250gb PATA drive.
In addition, I have a Segate 1tb USB portable drive that is partitioned as two separate drives, and a USB
Plextor PX-712UF DVD Burner.

At boot up, my BIOS reports the 250gb SATA drive as drive "0" - Master, and the 1tb SATA drive as drive "0" - Slave (both SATA drives are not jumped as per instructions on SATA drive installation manuals). My BIOS also reports the PATA EIDE drive as drive "1" - Master, and the internal DVD Burner as drive "1" - slave.

the BIOS reports the external drives as USB attachments correctly.
With Win 7 running, I can access "My Computer" and it reports only four (4) harddrives installed (2 internal, and the 1 external that is petetioned as two drIves), 1 floppy drive, and 2 CD Drives (the internal DVD Burner, and the
external USB DVD Burner). Computer/Manage/Disk Management does not report the drive.

I suspect that the problem is that there are two (2) disks reported as master which confuses Win 7. Since it is suggested that you do not jumper the SATA drives, and I must jumper the PATA EIDE drives and master with slave
present for the hdd, and slave for the DVD Burner (with both drives attached to the IDE cable), I don't know how to keep the SATA drive from being reported as master & slave. The 250gb SATA drive is the boot drive (Drive C), and listed as drive 2 in the disk management window, and the 1tb drive is reported as drive 1 in the disk management window, with the designation of drive "D". Real confusing, I understand.

Can anyone make any sense out of what's going on, and how I can get Win 7 to recognize the PATA EIDE 250gb drive?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Ed Wood

Maybe you should break it down in smaller problems.

I do not really see what you mean about how your describe your bios definitions. Which drive is listed as primary in the boot order or drive order?

Since you have 2 250 G drives, make sure you are not confusing them.

Dumb me!

The problem was that I had not formatted the 2nd 250gb hdd. I discovered this by going to Computer/Manage/Disk Management. It recognized Drive 0, and informed me that it had not been initialized. I proceeded to format it, and now it is recognized.

I guess we all make stupid mistakes. Thanks for the response.

Regards,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom