Windows 7 Win 7 slow boot.

tanzanos

My pc takes about 4 excruciating minutes to boot and be ready for use. I have the following progs running at startup and no malware:

Yes HKLM:Run NUSB3MON "C:\Program Files (x86)\NEC Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run itype "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run ISUSScheduler "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start

Yes HKLM:Run IntelTBRunOnce "wscript.exe" //b //nologo "C:\Program Files\Intel\TurboBoost\RunTBGadgetOnce.vbs"

Yes HKLM:Run Classic Start Menu C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe

Yes HKLM:Run avast "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui

Yes HKCU:Run Sidebar C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

Yes HKCU:Run ISUSPM Startup C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\isuspm.exe -startup

Yes HKCU:Run Akamai NetSession Interface "C:\Users\yiannis\AppData\Local\Akamai\netsession_win.exe"

Has it suddenly got slower? How old is your installation? You could try a simple defrag, Auslogics Disk Defrag Freeware download and reviews from SnapFiles + registry check, Wise Registry Cleaner Free Freeware download and reviews from SnapFiles. If you've been installing / uninstalling programs frequently, that might help.
Yes I always use Auslogic's defrag. I NEVER use Registry cleaners. I do however use CCLEANER for cleaning junk but NOT the Registry. My experience with registry cleaners is so bad that I would not touch any no matter what. I have had to do complete reformats in the past due to damage that resulted with registry cleaners.

Such slow boot times are a first for me. I never had such issues with XP. In the beginning Win 7 was fast at boot although slightly slower than XP but it sufficed. As time has passed the situation has got to be very frustrating indeed. I have checked the hardware and for any infections. My system is clean as a whistle and that is really worrying me. What can be the reason for this slow boot?

A GREAT tool to use it Soluto - it will analyze your startup times, and how long each program takes to start. It lets you remove a large plethora of apps, while the others can be removed manually. Try it out, it has an easy to use interface too - I use it as an automated maintenance platform on several of my clients PC's. www.soluto.com

Additionally, if you're comfortable with a little more advanced methods, Autoruns from sysinternals will let you remove just about anything from the startup process.

What anti-virus program do you use?

I believe Mitchell_A is heading in the right direction w/ his question on what Anti-Virus are you using.
I have seen a computer startup slow down in 4 scenarios.
1) You have a virus or malware
2) You installed a large program that is slowing down the PC (e.g. launching a SQL database)
3) There is an issue with one of the RAM sticks
4) There is an issue with the hard drive
Some PC shops will check RAM for free and some PC have onboard Diagnostics. (e.g. Dell Diagnostics will check both RAM & the hard drive)
Another test you can do to see if it is software related.
Go to MSConfig from the run command
[FONT=&quot]Click Services tab and Disable all then go to Startup and Disable all. Then boot up and see if there is still a delay.
If not then you can go in and slowly start to enable things in small groups to see when it begins to slow down.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]If not then you can go in and slowly start to enable things in small groups to see when it begins to slow down. [/FONT]

Have to disagree with this one, you would have to re-enable items 1 at a time, (not in small groups, you'll never find the culprit), process will be long, but you will find it doing 1 at a time, if any of them are actually causing the slow down.

Have you used the "Disk Cleanup" utility?

Have to disagree with this one, you would have to re-enable items 1 at a time, (not in small groups, you'll never find the culprit), process will be long, but you will find it doing 1 at a time, if any of them are actually causing the slow down.?

I have done it both ways. Doing it one at a time is the best way to effectively find out which one affected you. But I never had the time to reboot a computer over 60 times while the customer was being billed by the hour. My clients would of had a heart attack. If I broke that down in logical groups I could save hours. The hard part was to make sure you knew what items you just turned off, because the minute you found the problem group, you would have to turn it back off and go one at a time. But what I would do is kind of a hybrid, I would start quickly the things that I was pretty confident were not the issue in groups and then go one at a time w/ the rest. But for the average home user, I agree that they should just do it one at a time. Just put on some good music or something first, cause it will take you a while. :)

I tried everything but my system takes about 4 minutes to boot. There is nothing else bar a reformat (I'd rather die first). I never experienced anything like this with previous windows versions. The sad thing is that there seems to be no solution available. Wow 2012 and 4 minutes to boot a PC?

I tried everything but my system takes about 4 minutes to boot. There is nothing else bar a reformat (I'd rather die first). I never experienced anything like this with previous windows versions. The sad thing is that there seems to be no solution available. Wow 2012 and 4 minutes to boot a PC?
What kind of computer is it? Laptop or Desktop / Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc. Knowing that might help us to know what onboard diagnostics you may have available.

Did you try Soluto, as I suggested? I'm telling you, it will tell you what's taking so much time in your boot process.

PC: Desktop
MB: ASUS P6TSE
CPU: INEL i7 920 2.67 ghz
RAM: DDR3 6gig
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 560
HDD: 2x Western Digital WD6400 650 GB

Did you try Soluto, as I suggested? I'm telling you, it will tell you what's taking so much time in your boot process.
Yes I did and uninstalled it. I do not like the way it kept trying to push Dropbox on me. It also did not tell me anything about any process or application that is hogging resources during boot. Thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom