Windows 8 Window 8 activation problem

William Viger

Hi everyone, Okay i've been facing a really bad problem on my computer for the last couple months, now I want to find the issue and repear it, so here I am. (I'm french so sorry if I do some mistakes)
Here's my story: I've bought this brand new computer a year ago, window 8 was already on it and activated.
As days went by, I wanted to go back to Window 7, so I decided to put window 7 on it.
Had no problem, except that I couldn't reset/reboot my PC because I had no CD or whatever to reboot it.
So i decided to go back to Window 8, but here I am.
I can't find anything to activate my window, the key that I've used to activate window 8 isn't the orignial for this PC so I have a lot of problem. The thing is that I would like to delete everything and reboot my PC, but when I do so, using the application already installed on the PC with window 8, it says that some files are missing so I can't reboot my PC...
I tried using CMD with slmgr /rilc" and "slmgr /rearm" but when I do so, I got this : error 0xC0000022 ..
So well I am stuck here, can't activate window and can't reboot it myself, I have no CD or no USB...
Please help

Hi

Just to clarify things, when you are saying "Reboot" are you talking about restarting your PC or reinstalling the original Operating System?

I'm not clear on that since you don't need a CD, DVD to reboot it.

Is it a Laptop, (which would probably have a restore partition) or a desktop?
If it's a laptop your best bet would be to reset it to the factory defaults.

Save all your data to someplace off the computer before you do that.

What brand of computer is it?

If the operating system was installed by the manufacturer you can probably get the serial number from them by giving them the serial number of the computer.

If you have a legitimate Windows 8 key then it should work, as long as it hasn't been used on another computer.

Is the computer running at the present time?
Or are you not able to start it?

If it is up and running but you can't activate it you could install Belarc Advisor, It may be able to show the original Windows serial number.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It can detect pretty much everything about your computer including all of the serial numbers for all your software.

Mike

Hi Mike, first of all thanks you for you reply, Im using a Asus laptop (k55a) But the problem is that I can't actually reboot (reinstall the original operating system) because of that issue i'm having. I've tried everything but i'm still having the issue on the photo.
. insert-media_wm.png
I've been able to active my window tough, but I still can't reinstall the origninal operating system by myself

William

Hi

Check this out, note that you will have to back up every thing on the computer that you don't want to lose.

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo...3&s=386&os=&hashedid=K0x462Xrfr7kxIK4&no=1775

You can try downloading the ISO file for Windows 8 and write it to a disk.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1800781/windows-iso-file.html

You will need to use Imgburn to create a boot-able install file form the ISO file.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Once you have created the disk put it in when it asks you to insert media.
It should work the same as an original OEM disk.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike, I tried : http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo...3&s=386&os=&hashedid=K0x462Xrfr7kxIK4&no=1775
I made a recovery CD and everything, but when it comes to where I actually reboot my PC, it says I need to insert the CD or the USB key with windows 8 on it, but I don't have that ...

I also tried this one: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-drive-505769939

but right after I enter my product key, it says I need to be connected to internet, but well ... I am on wi-fi so why would it not work ?

William

If you can plug the computer into the router with a network cable it might help with the not connected message.
It may not have activated the wireless connection at that point.

You should be able to recover your computer from the recovery partition without a CD or DVD that's the whole point of having it.
It should contain all the data to return the computer to just the way is was the day you got it.

Here's another set of instructions.
Remember you need to back up all your data first.

Getting started
Disable Boot Booster
  • The Boost Booster option will remove the bios screen of the Netbook at startup and this option is enabled by default on the purchase.
  • Turn on your Netbook normally, and immediately press the F2 key until you reach the Setup Utility, which allows access to the bios options, including Boost Booster.
  • Using the arrow keys, move to the Boot tab, then click the Boot Booster option. Press the Enter key, then turn the option to Disabled to disable it.
  • Go to the last tab, Exit and save changes.

Restore from the Recovery Partition
  • Start your Netbook and press the F9 key on your keyboard until you see a loading screen.
  • The restoration program prepares the files needed for the operation.
  • A message appears asking if you want to perform the operation. You will lose all files on your machine.
  • Confirm by clicking ?.
  • The restore process is done automatically, without any human intervention.
  • At the end of restoration, the machine will reboot on its own and make configurations.
  • A restart is performed again, and you find yourself on the setup process of Windows, same as the first boot after buying the Netbook.
Here's a video...

Mike

Is there anyway we could talk like on skype or teamspeak so you could help me with that ?
I've tried everything and I can't make it work
I can pay you if you fix it...

Hi

I really don't think that I could help you over the phone.
All I can do is research how to do it, because I don't have any personal experience with this type of laptop.

First I'm not totally clear can you boot the computer in either OS?
How did you activate Windows?

Tell us where it doesn't work exactly.

Can you get it to open the recovery Window?

Is it possibly that you have deleted the Recovery partition?

If you can't access the recovery screen by pressing F9 you may have to call Asus, I'm sure they would know more about it then I do.
If you did remove the Recovery Partition somehow, then you may have to see if Asus will send you a restore disk for your specific type of computer.

Do you know of a good computer repair place in your area.
If you lived near Lansing Michigan I could give you a name but that's about it.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but if it doesn't respond to the normal fixes I'm kind of at a loss.

But do give us a detailed description of why you can't do the recovery from the hard drive.
Any error messages etc.

Mike

Last edited:
I would just directly plug the device into the LAN instead of wireless as Mike suggested, sometimes wireless can be flippy.
That way you can move on in the installer and you may have to install the driver or something (or just update the system as I had to do with my fathers win8 computer)

Hi,

No I can't boot my computer in either OS. I'm having the error; Some files are missing, your windows installation or recovery media will provide these files.

I used Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to find what key I needed to use, and I activated Window8 with it.

Well actually, as I said, I can't refresh my laptop to the beginning by using the program window8 instored because i'm having this error: Some files are missing, your windows installation or recovery media will provide these files.
And I also have the issue that I can't find Boost Booster in my bios so I can't access to f9.

Yes I do, but I think I deleted it. Should I buy a recovery disk ? I found one for 50$
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5189

For my F9 problem, i'll go online on asus's live-chat.

Unfortunately no I don't, but I'll try to find one if I can't get it to work by myself.

Thanks you for your help!

Hi

Well it seems like kind of a ripoff but the recovery disk should fix your computer and I assume restore the recovery partition if you need it in the future.

I'm surprised that they won't sell the disk for $9.95 or something like that.
After all it should come with the computer to start with.

This is a real goof up by Microsoft, How can you restore a computer that won't boot when the installation has to be done from inside Windows.

I can't find a place the download a regular ISO file for Windows 8, it should be available just like every other version of Windows.

I'll ask and see if someone else knows how to get one.

Mike

I tried to contact asus, but for some reasons right now it's not working, i'll buy the CD and hope it will work because its gonna cost 70$ ...

If you get more informations on how to do it, let me know.

Thanks you mike.

I don't know what's going on with Asus, my friend just bought a new Asus laptop and hasn't been able to register it, because the web site is always down.

Every time he tries from the link they supplied he can't connect to them.

I asked on another post about getting a Windows 8 ISO.
Look at "Anyone Know a Way to get a Windows 8 ISO File?"

By the way, what version of Windows 8 did you have installed.
Your serial number will only work with the same version you had installed.

Window 8 professional

I tried to login with my Microsoft account but when I try to Activate my subscription, I need to enter this:
Benefit Access Number, Subscriber ID, or MPN Technical Contact ID

What is that? I can't continu if I don't enter something good, i'm getting this error;

Whoops! Unrecognized Subscription Data Entered
We're sorry, but the data you entered could not be located in our system.
There are few common reasons for this error. Please try the following:

1. Reenter the data, making sure that all information is accurate. You may find that copying and pasting the data helps.
  2. In some cases, it can take 2-3 business days for your Subscription data to be ready to activate. If you continue to see this error, please check back after some time.
  3. If you are still unable to activate 3 days after your purchase, please Contact Customer Service

Last edited:
I think the download has all the versions on it, just make sure you select the correct one when you install it.

I assume your computer is 64 bit so it would be the 3rd one down on the list.

Windows 8 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English)
ISOEnglishRelease Date: 8/15/2012Details

This file contains both Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. Please refer to your product keys to determine which products are included with your subscription.

It should work, but I can't download it because i need Benefit Access Number, Subscriber ID, or MPN Technical Contact ID..

Hi

I tried to download it and ran into the same thing.
I have no idea what they are asking for but it seems this is geared for manufactures.

And no one on the forum has come up with a location to get a real Windows 8 ISO file so far.

I guess your best bet is to get the disk from Asus, or a Windows 8 disk someplace that you have to pay for.
It's a pain that most computers don't have a real Windows disk anymore.

My computer was the exception, I received a restore USB drive that will return it to it's original state, and a Real Microsoft Windows 8 Installation disk with it.

But not many manufactures do that anymore.

If you wanted to go back to Windows 7 this could be the time to do it.

Mike

This is a real goof up by Microsoft, How can you restore a computer that won't boot when the installation has to be done from inside Windows.

Yeah I tend to agree, this was a big goof on microsofts part.
Its not like with Apple or even linux where you can go to a help center or hop onto the web to get the image you need.
You have to first ask for the recovery media and then pay a lot of money for it, what a ripoff.

Back
Top Bottom