Windows 10 and ubuntu 14.04

zazonion

I am thinking of switching back to ubuntu 14.04 from windows 8.1. Would I still be able to get the free upgrade if I reinstall when windows 10 comes out?

You have up to 1 year after the release of Windows 10 (July 29th 2015 which would suggest July 29th 2016) to upgrade a Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1 machine to the "free" upgrade to Windows 10.
At least that is what we are being told.

You have up to 1 year after the release of Windows 10 (July 29th 2015 which would suggest July 29th 2016) to upgrade a Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1 machine to the "free" upgrade to Windows 10.
At least that is what we are being told.
Yes I know that. But if I reinstall window 8.1 after the 31st of july will I still be able to update?

I would think that "a year" means "a year". I haven't seen any exceptions sited with respect to when Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1 was installed.

I wouldn't expect all the Walmarts, Costcos and Sam's Clubs of the world to empty their shelves of all Windows Computers on August 1st, and....
If you had some type of catastrophic hard drive or motherboard failure of your Windows system, on or about July 29th and was unable to address the problem until sometime in August, I wouldn't expect you to be excluded from the free Update.

I don't think there are any "gotchas" associated with this offer. I truly believe Microsoft wants as many people as possible to be running Windows 10, but.....
That's just me, and that's just my best guess.

I would also vote to dual boot. You can confirm your copy of Windows 10 now so do that, and install Ubuntu. Since you already have Windows install, the Ubuntu installer should detect Windows and preserve it. Just keep all your data in Windows, add a entry in your fstab file to mount your NTFS partition.

Back