Windows 10 Windows 10 boot problem + freezing after power outage

CoolDudeClan

At first the power went out and the computer wouldn't boot, and kept trying to repair it but couldn't.

Eventually booted it in safe mode and it froze after a minute or two, requiring a hard reset. When I restarted it, it was able to normal boot but continued to freeze after a few minutes and doesn't respond.

It said "windows explorer has stopped responding" a few times as well.

What are my options here?

Computers is built by me, running windows 10. It has a SSD as the boot device and a hdd as file storage.

You need to check the usual suspects (if possible).

Freezing can sometimes be attributed to heat so ensure your machine isn't full of dust and check your temps.

Try checking for malware.

Is your SSD updated firmware wise and running on AHCI?

Have you updated anything recently or added new hardware?

If you can get into the recovery console it might be worth trying system restore to point before the power outage?

You need to check the usual suspects (if possible).

Freezing can sometimes be attributed to heat so ensure your machine isn't full of dust and check your temps.

Try checking for malware.

Is your SSD updated firmware wise and running on AHCI?

Have you updated anything recently or added new hardware?

If you can get into the recovery console it might be worth trying system restore to point before the power outage?

I can't really do much because it freezes even in safe mode. Can't check temps, at least don't know how I could.

I ended up just choosing the option to reset the pc and reinstall windows but keep files. If it continues to freeze I think I can assume it\s hardware related. (ADATA 120GB SSD)

Update on things: the restore froze and ended up failing and it rebooting saying a bunch of random code. It's definitely corrupted and from here I have moved individual important files off the ssd and considering rma'ing it because it seems faulty.

My last action I think is to format the drive and use my windows 8 disk to reinstall windows and see if it works.

Probably not but want to try it before I RMA it. Trusted a crappy brand and it looks like it bit me. Back to only trusting Samsung. Had good luck for 5 years.

ADATA has some diagnostic apps you can download here although I should imagine you've tried them:
Valuable Software_Downloads_Support_ADATA Technology

Have you tried benching the drive?

Thanks for the link, my SSD isn't on the compatible list though. I will try it anyway when I go at it again tomorrow.

I put the drive in an enclosure and formatted it from a different computer, put it back into the computer in question, and then created a windows 10 media install usb. Booted from the usb and when I tried to choose the ssd as the target disk, it failed saying windows couldn't be installed on the disk. So basically it seems I can't even do a fresh install which is weird.

Did you delete any partitions that were already on the SSD before trying the install? Whenever I clean install on my SSD I always remove everything using the set up screen. I don't try and choose a partition or similar.

Did you delete any partitions that were already on the SSD before trying the install? Whenever I clean install on my SSD I always remove everything using the set up screen. I don't try and choose a partition or similar.

Yeah the SSD was totally wiped.

I need some help with how to fresh install Windows 10. I have a legit version of Windows 8 with the discs and key and everything. Some months back I did the upgrade to windows 10 and have been using that.

Will the \windows 8 key work when prompted to enter it when running the windows 10 usb I made with the media creation tool?

How do I go about this situation?

If you upgraded to Windows 10 correctly then if you perform a clean install you do not need to input an activation key. This is because as of win 10 they are held in an online database. When you get prompted for the activation code simply click i don't have one and carry on. You'll find later that once windows has connected to the net it will activate without you noticing.

Sorry friend! I just have to comment! I think you are right on the money about this @kemical Every thing I have read, says you have it right.
Very nice my friend!

Confirmed it was the ADATA SP550 120Gb ssd. Six months old, Can't find my receipt so I may be out of luck for a warranty claim.

Bought a new SSD and installing windows now. Chose the don't have a product key option, will this still work despite a hardware change? (the ssd)? What criteria does the online activation use?

You should be fine, it's only when the motherboard is changed you have to worry.

Back up and running on the new ssd, accidentally installed windows 10 home and it wouldn't activate. No wonder, considering after I realized it was windows 8 pro.

Installed Pro and it activated fine.

Does anyone know where I can find the old chrome bookmarks file and move to over to the new computer?

Back
Top Bottom