Windows 8 Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Martin Hickie

Hi

I currently have Windows 8.1 and I have a issue with some updates that are required for the Windows 10 Upgrade. At the moment i can't install KB3035583 as it seems that I already it installed due to that I have the files when Microsoft releashed a update to upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview. This update failed to install 8 times so far. I have tried uninstalling it but I keep getting errors. I have had the idea of reinstalling Windows 8.1 but my hard drive is currently full of photos, music, documents and games but I haven't got a spare hard drive to move everything. I also have other updates failing as well. Is this becuase of the Windows 10 Technical Preview software that I alreadly have.

I have attached two photos showing what updates I have ready to install that won't install at all. What is the best thing to do??

Regards

Attachments

• Windows Update 050615 (1).jpg
    Windows Update 050615 (1).jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 380
  • Windows Update 050615 (2).jpg
    Windows Update 050615 (2).jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 325
I have had the idea of reinstalling Windows 8.1 but my hard drive is currently full of photos, music, documents and games but I haven't got a spare hard drive to move everything. I also have other updates failing as well.

Hi Martin,
1. It sounds like your c drive might be full or at least in need of a defrag... can you tell us (screenshot) the amount of free space on the c drive?
2. You could also have anti-virus software blocking some of the updates... in this case try booting into safe mood then doing the updates again.

I have 35.9GB which is enough for the updates and I have checked my antivirus software is not blocking any of the updates. I haven't tried safe mode yet, but I will do tomorrow.

Hi

If you only have 35.9 Gigabytes of free space and you want to upgrade to Windows 10 you need to do something about disk space anyway.

When you install Windows 10 you not only get Windows 10, it will create a Windows.old file that will be 10 Gigabytes or more.

It will also create restore points and things that can swell the install to over 50 Gigabytes.
My last Windows 10 install came in at 63 Gigabytes before paring it down to about 30.

Many of these can be removed after the install is complete but you have to have the space for them at the time of the install.

You should really never have all that stuff on your C:\ drive anyway.

If your hard drive fails you will lose everything, even a serious Windows crash or malware could make the drive unrecoverable without a complete reinstall.

And you should have another drive with a System Image file saved on it, in case you do need to restore your computer.

I'd get an external hard drive and copy your photos music etc to it, and see what you can move, and free up some space, this will also give you a place to put your recovery files.

you really don't want to have anything that you really don't want to lose in only one place.
You can even be hit by lightning, it really happened to me about a year ago!

Fortunately I had almost everything backed up.

Mike

Are you saying I can't upgrade to windows 10 without more space? Will they give me a key so I can clean install it? Should I put windows 10 on 60GB ssd? :(
WX.png

Edit: Sorry, I probably should not of posted here. oops

Last edited:
Are you saying I can't upgrade to windows 10 without more space? Will they give me a key so I can clean install it? Should I put

Hi

Based on my Windows 10 install you don't have enough space.
I have none of my software on my C:\ drive, only Windows 10 and associated user files.

I have it installed on a 100 GB partition.

drive%20space_zpszrw3j6yk.jpg

The real problem is that when I initially finished this install it was using over 70 GB of space.
After removing the Windows.old files (which were exceptionally large this time) it got down to where it is now.

I'm pretty sure that it won't let you do the install unless you have more space then you do.

How big is your hard drive?
To have so little space left you must have a lot of stuff on it.

There's a free downloadable program called WinDirStat that will show what's using all of your space.
That might help your figure out what you could remove or move to make more space.

WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics

As far as being able to do a clean install that's kind of up in the air, but at this point I don't see any way to do it, and get it verified.

I'd like to be able to do that myself.

Mike

Last edited:
I went ahead and did the upgrade to windows 10. I was ready to have to just install windows 7 again and lose my upgrade to 10. I took the chance and it installed just fine.

The windows old folder is 4gb. My $Windows BT folder is 6gb and I still have 19.1gb free out of 55.2gb on my C:\, where windows 10 is. I have my documents and other folders moved over to my D:\. I have system restore and hibernation disabled. I have removed many files, freeing up space on C:\. BUT with the Windows Old folder and $WindowsBT being 10gb, I don't feel like I should have 19.1 gb's free. Actually, I want to know If I can delete the $Windows~BT folder? and see if I get 6GB's more?

Honestly expected windows 10 upgrade to fail or else with 200mbs free out of 55gb. LOL

I still would like to clean install windows 10. Does putting the ISO on a dvd and getting and using your windows 10 key not work for a clean install? Someone linked a key finder software. I have not tried it yet. If you need the link, let me know and I will find it.

EDIT: My C:\ is a 60GB SSD

Back
Top Bottom