Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Although we have a new Build it's in the form of an update.... Marvelous. One step forward, two steps back! I hope they release an iso but in any case we can use the files to create one i guess but still...

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-build-10041-out-and-you-can-download-it-now-windows-update
Looks like, with the frequency of build updates they are planning, we can forget future possibilities on the MSDN downloads site.

But why not build your own ISO from the ESD. That is what I did. Great, clean install.

That's what I ended up doing or at least Randy (Trouble) did. Installed lovely.. Hate upgrades they almost never work right..

Hi Dave

Can you point me to a link that describes how to create your own ISO file and what you are using for source material?

I remember having software that did that at one time but it's been years.

Mike

I use the procedure which I outlined in an old post. There were follow up posts that it did not work for some, which I could not fathom. I have used this procedure for a long time and it has never failed. I can't track it now, but to repeat:(Best to prepare a dedicated folder for this.)

Unzip the attached to the prepared folder.
Open an elevated command prompt and navigate to the folder.
ESDtoISO C:\RecoveryImage\install.esd (First check that the file is, indeed, in that folder!)
Eventually you will see the command: Select (i)so or (Q)uit. Obviously you select "i"

In some cases, the command panel may report errors. You can ignore these, should it happen.

The process takes a while, according to your equipment. With my average gear, it takes about ten minutes. At that stage IT IS NOT complete. Wait
and it will say exporting image, with a percentage countdown.

Attachments

• ESDtoISO.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 493
Hi

Does it matter if the folder is on Drive C:\.
I created it on my F:\ drive, but I can move it if I need to.

F:\RecoveryImage\install.esd

The folder and file are in there.

File%20Location_zpsvqlakfyb.jpg

I'll give this a try when I get time...

Mike

Hi

Thanks I'm downloading the file, this will let me make the later version, I didn't do the other one yet anyway.

PS...

I didn't end up with an ISO image more of a install disk which works from withing Windows.

I'm going to go through the process again and look at the other options, I just followed the instructions and selected option "1" without reading what it said.

Mike

OK, I did it again using option 2 and that gave me a conventional .ISO file.
What surprised me was that I expected it to appear in the ISOFOLDER and it doesn't.

I burned the disk with ImgBurn and it works, booted the computer and starts the install process.

Last edited:
A new Build with Spartan included has leaked:
A recent build of Windows 10 has leaked onto the internet today, which includes Spartan, however it's missing a number of important features.

WinBeta has thrown together a quick video demonstrating Spartan in this build, so check that out below. As per usual, we do not recommend installing leaked builds as they are not intended for the public.

ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-build-10014-spartan-has-leaked-video

Is it just me or does anyone else think..... OK now they're just messing with us.
Build 10014 just leaked?? When a lot of us are running 10041?
It appears the WIM which leaked has been modified, so keep that in mind.
Looks like a decrement of build numbers.
includes Spartan, however it's missing a number of important features.
Cut me off a slice of that.
I'm quite satisfied with the bugs already present and the missing important features in the current build. :)

Not just you, pal. I am not neurotic, but I have a feeling they are playing to the whiners who keep asking for a build update. As I said before, there is no doubt, all round, that 4041 is a downgrade.
Anyway, we can wait and see

It was a build around the beginning of February. I think that was about when MS started talking seriously about putting it in a build update'. Maybe some probs there?

But these are the very latest. If you regard the sequence, there are many in between!
Capture.PNG

Another out of band update for 10 today.
Windows Technical Preview March Update for x64-based systems. (KB3050284)
Improvements
This update resolves a problem that may result in a transparent Start screen and Task view, transparencies when snapping or dragging windows, and can cause desktop thumbnails to appear as black squares.
This update resolves a problem that results in severe graphical artifacts on screen when Magnifier is launched in docked or lens mode.
This update contains a reliability improvement to resolve a common system crash.
SOURCE: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050284

Looks like neither of the updates solves the Local Account login with Disconnect Microsoft Account option showing....

A Steam Client update has not helped with that situation either.

Hi Ross.

I had to wad back through a huge number of development builds, but finally found "014". You can see that it was back in the very beginning of feb. I cannot imagine the reason for a leak as old as that appearing, unless it was from a Cortan devotee!

Capture.PNG

Microsoft have released the 10041 Iso for download:
Earlier today, Microsoft released Windows 10 build 10041 to those of you in the "slow ring" of the Windows Insider Program. This build was accompanied by three patches, which addressed various bugs relating to the Start screen and Task view features. Build 10041 was originally made available to the "fast ring" nearly one week ago, but obviously without the fixes that were made available today -- a perk of being in the "slow ring."

For those of you who are interested in installing Windows 10 build 10041 on a virtual machine or as a clean install, you can snag the ISO files, which were made available today. This new build is already available via Windows Update for those of you participating in the Windows Insider program. Here's how you can snag the ISO:

• Head over here and click one of the download links on the page to download an ISO file that you can use to install the preview.
  • When the download is complete, transfer the ISO file to installation media such as a USB flash drive or DVD.
  • Boot your PC from the installation media, and then follow the steps to perform a clean install.
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/heres-how-you-can-download-iso-file-windows-10-build-10041

Although Sonny has already posted this information this is simply in case anyone is following this thread for updates.

I downloaded the ISO and did a clean install in a VM and it seems to be working OK. I'm beginning to install some software now.
Joe

Back