Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

I wouldn't bother at this point with 10147.
At least not until some wizard comes up with a way to activate it. You can skip past the activation but your ability to customize is severely restricted until you do.

Trouble, I was wondering if this leak would behave differently if installed over a prior build. I did a clean install and see the same result as you. The next official build we get may behave the same way. Since there is no PID.txt file in 10147, a license of some type appears to be necessary.

Right now I am waiting to go online to activate, but I assume it will not. No big deal, I will play for a while. I have noticed Edge does not crash when you change the window size... Clicking the notifications seem to actually do something.. many of the Apps show as "New".

But hopefully, the new official build will be out tomorrow.. ! ;)

Trouble, I was wondering if this leak would behave differently if installed over a prior build
Testing your theory now.
Just did a clean install of 10130, caught it up with all of its' updates and now I'm attempting an upgrade from the 10147 leak.
I'll let you know if it stays activated or asks to be activated after upgrade is finished.

If they make the Preview builds such that you need to commit some type of License from a prior OS, I will have a problem. If the build is the RTM, then I might commit a Windows 8 license on my Z87 system, but I will not commit for my X99 system, especially not knowing for sure if the Video problems have been fixed for the Multi-monitor SLI system.

They may never get confirmation from me, that Windows 10 behaves on the X99 system...

I signed into my Microsoft account and to activate, it suggested going to the store and the attachment is what I saw. Windows 10 Core -- Free......... I suppose I need some type of License to activate this install as Pro.

Activate.JPG

Last edited:
This is a "leaked" build and has no connection to any authorized channels in so far as how it behaves with respect to installing, so I wouldn't attempt any predictions as to how the actual normal releases through slow or fast rings might proceed.
Although I suspect that in the final analysis it will almost necessarily behave something along these lines, as the only comments I've seen regarding clean installs from ISOs with the July 29th release is that you will be able to do so, "after the upgrade".
I think that perhaps at that time there will be some kind of binding with a previous Product Key along with some Hardware IDs, to make that possible (perhaps even associating those with your Microsoft ID as well, IDK).

I suppose I need some type of License to activate this install as Pro.
I can only advise as to what I've discovered.
After a clean install of 10130 and some quick and dirty personalization (Desktop Icons, PIN, Picture Password, Start Menu cleanup and arrangement, etc.) I performed an upgrade to 10147 and all went well.
It shows as activated, although it did take a considerable amount of time. Of course this old machine doesn't exactly scream "performance".
All previous personalization was preserved.

I have noticed my machine boots much quicker. Instead of 45 seconds of black screen after the spinning dots, the whole thing happens in about 20 seconds. Maybe they removed some type of monitoring process from the boot.

If we don't get a new build today, I will go your route and reinstall so I can test this build further.

Any thoughts as to why the Edge icon is so close to the IE icon?

If we don't get a new build today
Sorry....
https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/611792656826396672
As of about 8 hours ago.
Any thoughts as to why the Edge icon is so close to the IE icon?
By close, I'm guessing you mean, in design and appearance?
Honestly, I remain baffled by the whole Edge concept.
I understand it has a few new whistles and bells and I suppose that IE did need a rebranding of sorts and Edge is finally taking shape as a useable browser (import favorites from another browser, arrange the favorites bar properly now) but I was under the impression that IE was going away and it's still there... maybe next build.
As for the actual Icon... I'm betting that they spent some big bugs on focus groups and designers to come up with that. So why it still smacks of IE is a bit of a mystery to me.
Maybe they didn't want to venture to far off the reservation ( e = edge) now..... I guess that works.

I am back with 10147 but I upgraded from 10135. I wanted to check if the update would create a new 450 MB recovery partition or use the current one. It seems it did not create a second partition...

It looks more finished, but the fact the Notifications bar stays extended after selecting all settings seems to be a small problem. Since the Settings option is back, for now, on the Start Menu, I will use that for a while.

Maybe by the time the next build is released, before Christmas, I will have my internet Speed upgrade... :up:

the only comments I've seen regarding clean installs from ISOs with the July 29th release is that you will be able to do so, "after the upgrade".
In order to test this, I performed a clean install of 10147.
When prompted initially for a product key I skipped it, when prompted the second time for a product key I selected "do this later".
After completing the install and configuring my Microsoft Account to log in, I found "Windows is Activated" in the "System" properties. I didn't jump through any additional hoops, so it looks like that piece at least is working.

I wasn't planning on trying 10147 but have been hearing good things about it. Here I go again downloading 10147 now.

Here I go again downloading 10147 now.
If you've been reading some of my posts above, you'll see that it can be a P.I.T.A to actually get it installed / activated, as I could only accomplish that by installing it as an upgrade to and earlier Insider Preview build. But once that was all worked out and work through, I wiped it and did a clean install and I have to say that now it is definitely the best working build I've seen so far.

I will try for just a clean install if that should not work I will put 10130 back in and upgrade from there. I am currently on 8.1 pro.

One thing I noticed is if I set it to the fast ring it will go back to the slow ring. I don't know if there is a problem or not with it.

I also keep getting notification that Get Insider Build, insider build settings needs attention. I have had that pop up several times already. I don't know what they mean by that.

Last edited:
Back