Windows 10 Windows 10 Upgrade from WIndows 7

BarryHWhite

A disaster so far.
Installation worked OK
Desktop shows (rearranged but still all icons there)
There is no Start button at bottom left, and anyway Icons at bottom of screen (taskbar and system tray) don’t work - when the curser moves to them, instead of an arrow it become an “I” and does not open shortcut.
Desktop shortcuts for web addresses don't work, but those for things on the PC (like Word) do work.
How do you get to the Control Centre - I cannot open programs ?

Hey Barry,
I know this isn't probably what you want to hear but if I was you I'd perform a clean install using the info on the page from Microsoft:
Windows 10

I have been unable to install. When I press the upgrade button, I get a "Working on it..." message that doesn't go away. Just spins and spins... any suggestions?

Trying to update Dell Inspiron 1545, Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Hey Barry,
I know this isn't probably what you want to hear but if I was you I'd perform a clean install using the info on the page from Microsoft:
Windows 10
Does this mean I lose all my data and programs and effectively go back to a new PC?
I will do it if I have to, but is there any way I can run the undo and go back to Windows 7 which works fine?

Does this mean I lose all my data and programs and effectively go back to a new PC?
I will do it if I have to, but is there any way I can run the undo and go back to Windows 7 which works fine?
You can also perform an upgrade if you wish just follow the microsoft media creation tool and click upgrade now. Although if you don't want to upgrade you don't have to. This guide will help you reverse the upgrade if you want to:
How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10
I have been unable to install. When I press the upgrade button, I get a "Working on it..." message that doesn't go away. Just spins and spins... any suggestions?
Is your Windows 7 install fully updated? Also did you check the optional update to see if your machine was windows 10 ready? This link explains:
Will your PC run Windows 10? Use the official compatibility checker to find out | ZDNet

I went to the Windows 10 installation site and downloaded the 64-bit installer. The install is now slowly going through its steps and seems to be working.

You can also perform an upgrade if you wish just follow the microsoft media creation tool and click upgrade now. Although if you don't want to upgrade you don't have to. This guide will help you reverse the upgrade if you want to:
How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

Is your Windows 7 install fully updated? Also did you check the optional update to see if your machine was windows 10 ready? This link explains:
Will your PC run Windows 10? Use the official compatibility checker to find out | ZDNet

Problem solved, but in an odd way.
I pressed the Windows key by itself, and the previous Desktop (in the order it was before) appeared, and the cursor works OK on the System Tray and the other shortcuts. Most odd. Also on subsequent startups it operated normally, asking for password. So thanks for suggestions, but now I am working OK. Next is to see if all my programs are working as before.

Ok Barry glad to hear your getting sorted.. Hope all goes well :)

Back