Windows 11 Windows 11: What the hell is Microsoft thinking? (RANT)

Ralph Bromley

Fantastic Member
I am predicting this now: Windows 11 will be the worst Microsoft OS since Vista and 8, and it's all because of 11's stupid requirements.
Really Microsoft what the hell are you thinking, cutting off all processors made before 2017 all based on stupid requirements no one asked for.
TPM is a joke, really it is, as the only thing it really does is stop keyloggers, which is something you can do inside the OS if you knew how.
It doesn't stop malware, or viruses or ransomware and as secure as a motorbike protected by a keychain.
And ask any Linux user how much security secure boot offers, hello on Linux now with secure boot, bite me Microsoft.
The only reason Microsoft is doing this is to sell people new computers, they are desperate for money and think doing this will lure people to new machines in fear of their current machines being obsolete, it's a scam and I will not stand for it and nether should you.
If I were the Windows community I would let as many people know that this is a scam, and that there are alternatives that are not Macs.
Like I dunno... Linux's mint, it's free, easy to use and a 5-year-old can use it, it works for most hardware and if you don't need overpriced software like photoshop or games it's fine.
Or sticking it to Microsoft and dualboot with Windows 10 and only use windows once every so often in protest.
Lets show Microsoft not to fuck around with its users.

I am not a Linux user, but have to agree 100%

I have become over suspicious of the good intentions ( :cool: ) of MS on this subject.
I have been able to install and examine one of the most recent builds. I could see nothing new. Many items had been moved around and their icons brightened up. Other than that ???

I ran a few amateur comparisons with an identical laptop. I am using Office 2016. Other than that, I only have the "built in" items installed...
I should add that I chose to keep my own software and settings and, further, this was on an incompatible (?)Laptop - CPU wise, and 1.2 tpm.
First comment, in spite of lacking those so called essential features, it ran smoothly.

Office 2016 and all its many functions ran at pretty much the same speed, as did such items as Paint..etc.

Undoubtedly, with the MS recommended CPU etc, these items would run faster, as they would with or without the help of Windows 11.
I have always been a fan of MS, but, this time, I am deeply suspicious of their real intentions!
It is no secret that MS have big investments in one or two of the computer manufacturers. The average, enthusiastic users all over the world will be heading off to the store to buy new motherboards or computers. -- And . with Windows being free for most, guess who has found another way to continue to count the dollars rolling in??

They could be crumbling under the complaints?
I am on the insider channels. Previously, it said that my computer was incompatible with windows 11 and it could not be installed.

The wording has quietly and subtly been changed:

1626252842848.png

Pretty sure the minimum requirements were never meant to be a finalized requirement set. Yes Windows 11 will work on gen 7 CPUs.

Pretty sure the minimum requirements were never meant to be a finalized requirement set. Yes Windows 11 will work on gen 7 CPUs.
Yep. Fingers crossed that is correct. In my case, in my previous post, I did not have secure boot enabled and also, as said, only 1.2 tpm. I can install windows 11 without any tricks - so far.

Windows 11 will be the worst Microsoft OS since Vista and 8, and it's all because of 11's stupid requirements.
Well I am looking at it with an open mind, but I had no problem with the existing taskbar. I mean to me this is essentially Windows 10 21H2 with UI modifications... I am not really looking to upgrade everything to it right now.

Edit: Also it would be hard to knock out Vista or 8 as the worst given what it was upon release. If anything calling it Windows 11 is clever marketing so +1 for that I guess.

I am predicting this now: Windows 11 will be the worst Microsoft OS since Vista and 8, and it's all because of 11's stupid requirements.
Really Microsoft what the hell are you thinking, cutting off all processors made before 2017 all based on stupid requirements no one asked for.
TPM is a joke, really it is, as the only thing it really does is stop keyloggers, which is something you can do inside the OS if you knew how.
It doesn't stop malware, or viruses or ransomware and as secure as a motorbike protected by a keychain.
And ask any Linux user how much security secure boot offers, hello on Linux now with secure boot, bite me Microsoft.
The only reason Microsoft is doing this is to sell people new computers, they are desperate for money and think doing this will lure people to new machines in fear of their current machines being obsolete, it's a scam and I will not stand for it and nether should you.
If I were the Windows community I would let as many people know that this is a scam, and that there are alternatives that are not Macs.
Like I dunno... Linux's mint, it's free, easy to use and a 5-year-old can use it, it works for most hardware and if you don't need overpriced software like photoshop or games it's fine.
Or sticking it to Microsoft and dualboot with Windows 10 and only use windows once every so often in protest.
I totally agree

Certainly not the worst, but the most unsuccessful, as few users will be able to install it!
But, current gossip, you might be out of date. It looks like the requirements to install are being relaxed.

I don't fix things that are not broken. My 2012 thinkpad will run 11 just fine in a virtual box

Be Optimistic...

I agree with your prediction, but it's not ALL because of the stupid requirements.

ANOTHER reason Windows 11 is likely to fail is the new look and feel. Here we have an operating system that demands a new (or at least newish) computer but the entire operating system is designed to look like you are using it on a smartphone. I suspect that the designers were all millennials who never got off their phones long enough to talk to anyone using a desktop or laptop computer. Nonsense changes like moving the taskbar to the center are great for phones or tablets, but complete nonsense on a real computer -- especially for any user who actually USES their computer. That one change alone will cost businesses thousands of hours of productivity (albeit only a few seconds at a time) as user hunt for the icons that they previously had pinned to their nice stationary taskbar.

While I would congratulate Microsoft on a very slick install for Win 11 over Win 10 -- quick and 'easy' -- with no need (or opportunity!) for user involvement, WHY does the install delete programs that were installed on the Win 10 computer and, of course, never ask or even tell the user about the deletions? Yes, installing Windows 11 will delete some programs that you had installed on your Win 10 system! And, no, it won't ask or tell you about it - they are just quietly gone. Is it really just a coincidence that the programs Win 11 deletes all just happen to have new replacements available for sale at the Microsoft Store?!? (I wonder how well that stunt will play in Europe where the EU has much better consumer protection laws.)

After installing Win 11, you will probably need to use the search function to find where your existing programs are now hidden because the new interface drops everything you had organized. Surprise, the new search function cannot find or even look for your existing programs right after the "upgrade" it tells you that it hasn't gotten around to looking at the system but offers to take you to the Microsoft Store where it will help you search for new programs to buy to replace ones that are still on your computer but it won't look for them!

the EU does not have better laws they are only guidelines which are not enforced unless the news story is important... even then things go back to being the same and Microsoft ignores them during this time in any event

in other words the EU will bend over and take it because they have no other choice but to allow Windows 11

I still find the Control Panel by far the easiest way to find what you want and manage your computer. Fortunately, they have been smart enough to leave it there and not remove it.

What is wrong with just having a page with an Icon for each specific item clearly identified by its title and Icon, instead of layers of pages to work your way through to get to the setting for that specific function.

If you don't know how to get to it, just open the start menu and type Control.
I have an Icon for it on my Rocket Dock, so I can get to it with one click.

It's nice to click once for Control Panel, a second time for Mouse or Printer and have everything right there in front of you.
No scanning through rows of entries until you track down what you are looking for.

Sounds like a pit full of snakes. They want to drag us around in chains and in some cases pay for it.

I still find the Control Panel by far the easiest way to find what you want and manage your computer. Fortunately, they have been smart enough to leave it there and not remove it.

If you don't know how to get to it, just open the start menu and type Control.
I have an Icon for it on my Rocket Dock, so I can get to it with one click.
I also love the old control panel. Unfortunately, several of the items there, when clicked, take you to the more recent "settings" - back to square one!
I made a shortcut from the exe (sys32) to my start menu, for my convenience. It is also in my right click of the start menu "All control menu items"
Can't remember:rolleyes: that - maybe I put it there:confused:

Sounds like a pit full of snakes. They want to drag us around in chains and in some cases pay for it.

i have been using 11 and im quiet happy with it. its far from perfect with a couple of minor niggles. at least it aint as bad as ME, vista or w8. I actually still use XP on my laptop alongside w10 although i have disabled internet access in xp. I use it to run car diagnostics software (autodata 3.41)

I usually do not reply to "ILOVE to HATE Microsoft/Windows" goofballs..

But to the rest of the crowd I will inform that you may change the: AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU registry entry and restart atleast once before trying to upgrade to Windows 11.. (Most Windows-users know how to search for that information)

I myself run Windows 11 om my test-bed with an old AM3 processor without any issues.. (And that is way older than 2017...)
So much of that ranting seems to be more based on... cognitive dissonance more than anything else..! :)
Somehow it seems like many linux-fanatics "make" using Windows so much harder, just for the sake of it! If you understand what I´m saying!

The reason as to Why Microsoft sets these requirements are simply bases upon reliability and performance..
For most of us I think that is not so hard to understand..

But that is my opinion..

Back
Top Bottom