Windows 7 Windows 7 can't connect to the internet

Lois

Dear all,

I recently moved to a new apartment, and so got a new wireless router and now one of my computers won't connect to the internet.

It sometimes can see the network, but mostly can't. And it has connected once for a few seconds.

I have an HP G42 Notebook PC computer. I'm using Windows 7 Home Basic. My wireless router is Cisco.

When I try to connect, the troubleshooting report says it has a problem with wireless adapter or access point. The driver is Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Lois

A new apartment might mean you have some neighbors interferring with your wireless. When you right click the wireless icon in the tray, do you see multiple networks available?

Have you updated your profile for that connection on the new router, which might include a new Gateway Address and Wireless security settings?

A new apartment might mean you have some neighbors interferring with your wireless. When you right click the wireless icon in the tray, do you see multiple networks available?

Have you updated your profile for that connection on the new router, which might include a new Gateway Address and Wireless security settings?

Hey Saltgrass,

I don't think it s neighbors interferring with the wireless... if it was, then why would it work for one of our laptops but not the other?

We've updated all the drivers on the computer, but I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if we have updated the profile? Sorry, I'm not that tech savvy. What exactly is a Gateway Address, and how can I update it, if I can't get online through the router?

Best,

Lois

If you put ncpa.cpl in the search box and hit enter, the Connections dialog will open and you can see the network adapters. You wireless adapter should be there and showing as enabled.

The signal strength on the Wireless icon should also be at lease a couple of bars. If the signal strength is low, you may be loosing connectivity for that reason.

Left Click on the Wireless icon in the Tray. A list of profiles will come up so you can Right click your profile (connection) and select properties. Here you can check the setting for the profile and change something if you need to. The Wireless Encryption settings may need to be updated. You can check these against a wireless computer that does work.

If you would, please type the following command in a Command Prompt window. You can copy and paste it by right clicking the command prompt window and selecting Paste. It will create a text file on your desktop you can attach using the paperclip on the Advanced Replies.

You might check it for IP addresses or names you do not want to post and alter or cover part of the information.

ipconfig /all > %userprofile%\Desktop\ipconfig.txt

Last edited:
Back