Windows 7 Windows 7 final release question

alex1997

I’ve been using a pre beta version of Windows 7 for several weeks now and just installed the official beta release of Windows 7 yesterday.

I’ve spent time installing programs, files, etc. from my XP system as well as doing some customizing of Windows 7. The operating system works great and I’m looking forward to the final release. However, I don’t want to continue to spend a lot more time on this process if it turns out I’ll have to start all over when the final version is released.

It’s probably premature but does anybody know if Microsoft will offer an upgrade path from the beta version to the final release? No, I do not own a copy of Vista.

They most likely will not as they want us to buy the full version and not an upgrade version. Sorry

Not going to happen since the beta will expire before the final is released.

Not going to happen since the beta will expire before the final is released.

Trying to find where I read about the actual expiration of Windows 7 beta.

Is it a ticking time bomb, or does it expire when the Microsoft Gods send a signal from afar at some point they choose?

Hello! I'm very sure that we will not be able to upgrade from the beta to the final version. We couldn't in Vista, and I doubt it was possible in XP. (That was before my "compooder time"!) Too much money at stake, considering the availability of the beta. (To everyone who wants it basically) My Visa card is at the ready!

It will be interesting to see how they handle this, since it appears to have had over 2.5 million downloads. If they don't provide an upgrade path that would mean 2.5 million beta users would lose access to their Windows 7 install. I'm sure they won't want that many potential customers losing access...

I wouldn't see why they'd be worried, the install pages and such warn people to backup their files and such, and that this is a beta software that will expire. Technically, they've warned you, so if you lose it, oh well.

Besides, there will likely be warning messages like there were in Longhorn (Vista) beta.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this, since it appears to have had over 2.5 million downloads. If they don't provide an upgrade path that would mean 2.5 million beta users would lose access to their Windows 7 install. I'm sure they won't want that many potential customers losing access...
It's BETA software; meant for testing and evaluation purposes only!
It is not meant to replace the main OS.

While I completely understand that I doubt most people who have installed have made full backups and as a sales decision, it would make sense for them to provide an upgrade path. But you are right, it may not happen.

Back
Top Bottom