Windows 7 Windows 7 freezing

kelpso

This problem has been happening for quite a few months now. I boot up Windows 7, everything's fine, run some programs for a while (usually Google Chrome) and the taskbar freezes. I click on it and choose to close the program. It restarts and everything's fine for 5 minutes or so. Then, if I try to use Aero Snap, the windows freezes, I can't end any process in Task Manager because if I try, it freezes (even Resource Monitor and Process Explorer freeze). I've tried logging out and logging back in but everything is still stuffed and the desktop doesn't load. The only way to fix it is to do a hard reset.
It happens from 2-20 times a day. Switching user doesn't help either.

One thing I have noticed, however, is sometimes when it does this, Resource Monitor tells me that chrome.exe is waiting for explorer.exe and vice versa. The problem is not always caused by Google Chrome though.

Please help!

Last edited:
You don't say how much memory you have. If you system was being forced to do Page file swaps more often, it might cause temporary freezes.

Background applications can sometimes do such thing. If a Anti-virus is doing a scan, or if some network utility is doing something online, or if you run some kind of backup or indexing program, it might effect your situation.

Watching Task Manager or the Resource Monitor might help you gather clues about your system. If they freeze so you can see anything, maybe some type of logging utility, or perhaps the Average CPU column on Resource Manager.

Checking the Event Viewer may show some error or warning messages related to the freezes.

You might also use msconfig.exe to stop some applications from starting up for testing.

Last edited:
You don't say how much memory you have. If you system was being forced to do Page file swaps more often, it might cause temporary freezes.
Sorry, I changed my Computer Specs in my info and assumed it would show up here :/
I have 2.00 GB of RAM, 1.65 GB of which is usable (the rest is used for graphics).

Background applications can sometimes do such thing. If a Anti-virus is doing a scan, or if some network utility is doing something online, or if you run some kind of backup or indexing program, it might effect your situation.
I've already thought of that and nope, unfortunately that's not the problem (or as far as I can tell).

Watching Task Manager or the Resource Monitor might help you gather clues about your system. If they freeze so you can see anything, maybe some type of logging utility, or perhaps the Average CPU column on Resource Manager.
I have a feeling it's something to do with Google Chrome, high memory usage and Windows Live Messenger (maybe something they all have in common) but high memory usage is not always the case.

Checking the Event Viewer may show some error or warning messages related to the freezes.
I've looked and I can't find anything to do with it. The only error messages it shows are the ones from doing the usual hard reset.

You might also use msconfig.exe to stop some applications from starting up for testing.
I have tried this too and it hasn't worked.

Any other suggestions? It's not too big of a problem but just an annoyance. A work-around is good enough.
I had a work-around before where I would just end the explorer.exe processes at start-up. It's not very helpful though.

By the way, this might be useful. When this freezing happens, all the CPU Times in Task Manager stop and so do most of the Working Set (Memory) and Memory (Private Working Set).

Thanks for your help!

It was stuffing up again so I checked Resource Monitor thoroughly this time and one thread in both chrome.exe and explorer.exe was trying to access C:\pagefile.sys. Does this mean my pagefile may be corrupted?

Back
Top Bottom