Windows 7 Windows 7/PC problem | Please help

Hey, I am using windows 7, and I have never had this problem before. I can't click on different places, such as my desktop icons, task bar, open folders, open programs. It's like sometimes I can and sometimes I cant. It's really annoying. I have no idea what is causing this problem, or how it began, but I have tried really hard to fix it (apparently not hard enough). I have tried to restore my computer to a point where this problem didn't exist, I have tried to scan my PC for virus (1 infected and removed) and I have googled this problem, but still nothing has helped. I have no idea what to do next, and I was hoping someone could help me. I posted a video to demonstrate my problem, but due to the fact that my google chrome is bugged as well, I cannot copy the youtube link. If you want to see the video, go to www.youtube.com, and search for "EvilKittyCat Windows/PC error" and I'm sure you'll find the video. All help is appriciated, thanks!

- EvilKitty

To start with, I'll give the link, to make it easier for others:

Not sure what it is, but it seems like either you have a serious hardware problem / electrical one, or most likely you have a malware = harassmentware. Run Malwarebytes.

When and how did the problem start? Can you recall anything happening around that point of time? Installation of programs or hardware etc.?

You could try to uninstall WinRar. It screaming for license shouldn't cause this kind of trouble, but still. Shut down FRAPS too.

Last edited:
@Pauli
I installed Malwarebytes and scanned my PC a few minutes after posting this thread yesterday. Turns out I had 27 infected files, so malwarebytes removed them, but the problem still occurs. I kinda remember when it started.
Me and my friends installed a few maps for Garrys mod, Trouble in terrorist town. Then I went to play some Battlefield 3. The problem began right after I closed BF3. I tried to restart my PC but it only became worse. I have scanned those files I got for garrys mod, but they were not harmful at all. I have played Battlefield 3 for a very long time, and this problem has never occurred.

I think I'll leave WinRaR alone, and I only run fraps when I want to record a video.

Try running the system file scanner which will detect and repair (if possible) corrupt Windows files. Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and choose run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

You might want to take a look at this, about fixing file associations, in your case LNK:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

===========================================================

Mods can be a pain; even if they aren't "harmful" they can cause BSODs etc. But they shouldn't do anything if they aren't active = they shouldn't affect your basic Windows OS, unless you play them.

Roughly, we seem to have many methods of help that don't help, as well as many factors that aren't supposed to affect. I would

1. Uninstall Battlefied and the mod - after saving game saves on another place, for future use. I would use Revo Uninstaller for this, including clearing of registry parts.
2. I would use CCleaner or Advanced SystemCare to get rid of extra garbage - use default settings, that's safe.
3. After reboot, had I a standard HDD, I would defrag it - SSDs don't need defrag, but it doesn't harm them.

Finally, if nothing seems to help, save your personal files on another disk or partition, and make a clean installation of Windows. In any and every case, you should have a separate disk or partition for Windows vs. your own files: it's inevitable that you must reinstall Windows one of these days, and having your System and your personal matters separate will prove to be of great advantage.

"Hope I don't wear you down". :up: Quite often the rocky road is the fastest one.

Last edited:
Alrighty guys. I gave up on this problem. I saved the things I needed and cleaned my PC, and re-installed windows. The problem was still there. I had planned to get a new gaming PC by the end of this summer, but I decided to get it now. I've bought everything I need and I'm going to build it myself. It's gonna be a MUCH better PC. I appreciate you guys trying to help me. Thread closed/solved ?

@Pauli
@kemical

To be honest Evil we never really close a thread unless for specific reasons. If you need any help in the future just post back and good luck with the new build.

Back