Windows 7 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit shutdown button wont turn PC off completely

jwill58

I try to power down (Shut down) my Win 7 PC and it (screen) goes dark but fans are still running. Its like it's only half off. I had this problem once before just after my change from 32 bit to 64 bit OS. Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I researched and after much digging I found the answer. However , as with any fresh install , upgrades abound and recently , the same problem reared its ugly head once again. The problem is , I cant seem to locate the solution this time ! I seem to remember a driver or a hotfix or just a particular ms upgrade.

Please , If there is anyone out there with a solution to this problem ....make it a prominent sticky somewhere so we can locate this easily. I have seen this answered with a sound card driver , an unchecked box in device manager. Others that I cant remember exactly but didnt work. One was to disable the 1394 connection on the back ! I've tried all these to no avail. There is an answer that will work for 90% of us with this problem.
My system specs are as follows :
MSI K9N2 Diamond
CORSAIR TX850WATT PSU
8GB DDR2 800mhz RAM
AMD X2 6400+ Black @3.2ghz
PNY GTX275 896MB
WD 74GB Raptor
WD 1TB Caviar 7200rpm
SB Audigy X-Fi Xtreme PCI
VIEWSONIC VX2835wm 1920x1200
WIN 7 Pro 64 bit
Thanks so much !
jwill58

Hello and Welcome. : )

1. Get system updates, shouldn't take too long (I can't tell you offhand which one you need):

Link Removed - Invalid URL

2. If the problem persists, you may want to try this Windows 7 Forums - Shutdown Tweaks

Last edited:
I know you meant well , but thats already been done. I was looking for someone with experience in just this problem. Thanks though.
jwill58

I know you meant well , but thats already been done. I was looking for someone with experience in just this problem. Thanks though.
jwill58

Please, from now on, try to keep your request for help contained to one post. Multiple mentions of it aren't necessary. Cybercore is very experienced with these types of problems, as well as myself.

You can type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Then zip the saved file and attach the zip to a post.

And on behalf of everyone, welcome to the site!

I'm experiencing the same problem as Jwill58 described there. My laptop can not completely shutdown when i click the shutdown button until the battery is runs down. I've searched for the solution everywhere and restored the laptop to it's factory setting but still the problem persist. I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 bit (HP tm 2-2050us) Secondly, my touchpad seem to freeze every now and then. Mostly when yu double click on something the light on the touch pad turns on then you can't use the pointer anymore. Thirdly, My battery is meant to last for 6hrs but it barely gets to 4 hours. Please if anyone has got any idea on what to do please help me.

I'm experiencing the same problem as Jwill58 described there. My laptop can not completely shutdown when i click the shutdown button until the battery is runs down. I've searched for the solution everywhere and restored the laptop to it's factory setting but still the problem persist. I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 bit (HP tm 2-2050us) Secondly, my touchpad seem to freeze every now and then. Mostly when yu double click on something the light on the touch pad turns on then you can't use the pointer anymore. Thirdly, My battery is meant to last for 6hrs but it barely gets to 4 hours. Please if anyone has got any idea on what to do please help me.

Visit your model manufacturer's website and install all the latest drivers, including Synaptics or Alps Touchpad driver. If you still have issues, follow my previous post and attach the msinfo32 report.

Also, if you've ever had bsod issues, copy the files in C:\Windows\Minidump to another folder. Then zip the files. Also attach this zip to the post.

Let me tell you what I figured out last night. I wont tell you I fixed it but I will tell you what I did and then what happened. Draw your own conclusions. I thought about it a bit just before I shut it down again , manually ! Then I remembered something someone said about programs running....On the bottom right of your screen...the little pyramid that shows running programs or "shows hidden icons". Shut those down first. I did this ( my programs are: logitech Vid.my webcam ;DYMO Quick Print ; MSI Dual Core Center ; and Microsoft Security Essentials ) and my PC shutdown like a champ ! After "exiting out of" these programs , just hit start and then "shut down" . Now , what does this mean ? What can we do where this is done automatically so our PC's will act normal like they used to ? Try this out and let me know if it works for you ...Please.
Thanks ,
jwill58

PS...this may save your battery life just by shutting down completely. get back to this thread please....

Last edited:
Update all those apps in the tray to the latest version. Then try to shutdown again without first closing them. See how it goes. :)

Update all those apps in the tray to the latest version. Then try to shutdown again without first closing them. See how it goes. :)

See , this is why I said I didnt know how to fix..I just knew how to shut it down. These last 4 to 5 days started with a format and fresh install of Win 7 64 bit. I had a working 32 bit and I was just tired of running on 3.25GB of RAM so I bought 4 more giggs and went with the 64 bit. (Now Im running 8GB of DDR2 800mhz RAM...and man does it make a difference...especially on certian games loading times!) I have updated and researched looking for working 64 bit drivers and apps. I didnt even hook up my Canon Pixma iP6600D printer and a few others perfs until I had working drivers etc....To the best of my knowledge and abilities , I have all these things updated and drivers current and installed. When clicking on "properties" of the applications...on some there is a box that can be unchecked or checked thats deals with this problem directly....it goes something like this "Allow Windows to shut this down"....something like that....Im sure you understand what Im referring to. Im just not smart enough to figure it out yet or its a glitch that involves just a scattering of startup software. Im open to any and all suggestions. Again , thanks for all of these replies !
jwill58

Last edited:
View attachment system info.zip My laptop can not completely shutdown when i click the shutdown button until the battery is runs down. I've searched for the solution everywhere and restored the laptop to it's factory setting but still the problem persist. Secondly My battery is meant to last for 6hrs but it barely gets to 4 hours. Please if anyone has got any idea on what to do please help me

View attachment 8302 My laptop can not completely shutdown when i click the shutdown button until the battery is runs down. I've searched for the solution everywhere and restored the laptop to it's factory setting but still the problem persist. Secondly My battery is meant to last for 6hrs but it barely gets to 4 hours. Please if anyone has got any idea on what to do please help me

Want to give this a try ? :

Take out the battery,
*Remove main supply,
*Hold power button down for 30 secs,
*Put only power supply in, do not put battery in
*Turn laptop on
*Put the battery in.
Im still researching this for you...the above is easy and might work ?
jwill58

View attachment 8302 My laptop can not completely shutdown when i click the shutdown button until the battery is runs down. I've searched for the solution everywhere and restored the laptop to it's factory setting but still the problem persist. Secondly My battery is meant to last for 6hrs but it barely gets to 4 hours. Please if anyone has got any idea on what to do please help me

Visit HP.com for your notebook model to download and install the latest drivers for the Synaptics Touchpad. The one you have now is old. While there, also install the latest Bluetooth driver.

Then visit the following link to update the driver for your Wacom Mouse as that too has an old driver:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

-------

If that did not help at all, then type msconfig in the start menu then press enter. Go to startup tab. Check the box to disable all then hit ok. Reboot and test if the issue persists.

If it is good now, then go to the msconfig startup tab again and enable things one by one while rebooting and testing. When the issue returns, you've found the culprit.

Thanks for the posts.. I've tried all the things you wrote there but they're yet to solve the problem or even allow me shutdown once.. I'm still looking for other resources online to see if there's something else i can get. Microsoft seem to enjoy stressing ppl.. from Vista that's completely crap to W7.. Anyone with more suggestions please help. Thank y'all for the help

Have u tried disabling the USB Selective Suspend in the power options? Worked for me on my desktop system. I had one in every 3 shutdowns not powering off the system completely leaving the fans etc on but turning off the monitor, keyboard, etc. Had to hold power button for 5 seconds to switch off. Turning off this feature solved the problem.

Go to control panel, power options, change plan power settings, change advanced power settings, scroll down to usb settings, click on usb selective suspend and select disable

How do i Disable the USB Selective? Please give me the full instruction.. Thanks

Donchino ....Im thinking your problem has more to do with you having a laptop and maybe a switch malfunction or a battery problem. My problem was in a completely different direction. I guess it wont hurt to try any and everything to fix it. It just sounds like your problem isnt Win 7 related. Good luck !

I don't know really.. The major problem here I think is that the laptop won't shutdown completely.. That's what i'm really looking forward to solving.. When i restart, everything works but when i click the shutdown button It doesn't shut everything off.. ( The network and Power off/on lights remain on).. Weird really

I don't know really.. The major problem here I think is that the laptop won't shutdown completely.. That's what i'm really looking forward to solving.. When i restart, everything works but when i click the shutdown button It doesn't shut everything off.. ( The network and Power off/on lights remain on).. Weird really

YES , I know just how you feel ! I thought I had my problem figured out ...shutting off my running programs off manually first , then using the "shut down" button.This worked for one night....then the next night I tried and MS Security Essentials.would not let me shut it off. I know Im close.....but it is getting frustrating !

go into the usb root hub and deselect all options in the power management tab thats how i fixed mine

my rig
asrock n73v-s
windows7 ultimate
[email protected]
seagate 500GB
4gigs ram
9800gtx 700/1750/1015
coolermaster 550 extreme

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom