Windows 7 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit shutdown button wont turn PC off completely

ok go into control panel click hardware and sound then click device manager click usb serial bus controllers right click usb root hub and properties click power management tab untick allow computer to turn off this device to save power. i did this in both usb root hubs

Thanks for the posts.. I've tried all the things you wrote there but they're yet to solve the problem or even allow me shutdown once.. I'm still looking for other resources online to see if there's something else i can get. Microsoft seem to enjoy stressing ppl.. from Vista that's completely crap to W7.. Anyone with more suggestions please help. Thank y'all for the help

I also tried some proposed "solution" ( disabling USB or IEEE1394 is NOT a solution ) and no success.

This is not a laptop, it is a regular tower PC ASUS P5B-E with all the hardware updates and Win7 updates installed.

Windows 7 64 does shutdown but it will not shutdown the computer. The lights are still on. I have used this computer for years with Windows XP without disabling anything...

If anybody found the REAL solution I would be very interested in learning about it !

Thanks !

Last edited:
Well I have wiped the harddrive and started fresh with the windows xp.
The system will restart now which is good getting somewhere.
But system still wont shutdown fully. I have updated drivers, but did see a
a ? Mark on "sm bus bridge" in device manager. This is so frusturating
but hopefully I find something. So if anyone has any other ideas, I would
greatly appreciate the needed help. Thanks

Well I have wiped the harddrive and started fresh with the windows xp.
The system will restart now which is good getting somewhere.
But system still wont shutdown fully. I have updated drivers, but did see a
a ? Mark on "sm bus bridge" in device manager. This is so frusturating
but hopefully I find something. So if anyone has any other ideas, I would
greatly appreciate the needed help. Thanks

All I can think of is:

Go to Power Options in Control Panel.

On the Advanced tab make sure "Shutdown" is selected for "When I press the power button..." option.

Its got nothing to do with windows 7. Once your system has powered off, for example HDD, CPU, GPU whatever is still running is being controlled by your motherboard. I have a feature on my motherboard i can enable/disable to keep system fans running when the system is turned off. Power off your system & then disconnect your HDD (ONLY IF ITS SATA POWERED) & you will see your fans still spinning which is clear proof its nothing to do with windows.

Go into CMOS & look for fan control or it might be named something slightly different. Some motherboards have this feature enabled by default for some annoying reason, fine if your located in a often hot climate but not if your located in the likes of England where I'm from.

If however your CPU/GPU fans are spinning, it means your system is not fully shut down & its a problem I'm currently experiencing atm so for a resolution i cant help because i dont know myself. If the fans are not spinning your system is off, but some PSU supplies have a temperature control so its fan will spit for a little longer to cool it down if its still warm.

Hope this helps..

Back