Windows 7 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Download Available

We will see won't we.

If the Official final does turn out to be different so be it.
I have a pre-SP1 image waiting in the wings just in case (made it right before installing the SP).
If it turns out we are wrong here and the final-final causes issues etc. I'll just restore the image and install the final-final.

I don't think there will be an issue, I'd even bet the official MD5 sums will match.

The SP available here is rock solid stable on my machine and winver shows no evaluation message like the RC did.

We will know soon enough.

For those that didn't create a pre-install image, oh well.

I'm going on record to state this is a very bad idea. The release of this patch is NOT officially sanctioned by Microsoft. It is NOT the official final version. It was an unauthorized and premature leak out of Russia - a country known for harboring badguys. The download site is NOT authorized to host or distribute this patch - especially via Torrents. I urge all of you STOP and think about what you are doing. And certainly, if you do not have the patience to wait for the official release, then do NOT, I repeat, do NOT install this on any productivity machine or any machine that is used to conduct any personal business, such as your banking, or credit card purchases. And do NOT connect it to a network that has such sensitive machines also attached. It is not worth the risk.

If this were legitimate, you could enter "Windows 7 SP1" into Google and get tons of hits to legitimate sites reporting about it. But as can be seen, that is not happening. Note the following warnings:

Leaked "Official" Windows 7 Service Pack 1 ~ Security Garden''
Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Leaked Onto Web - Legit Reviews

Managed to download both x86 and x64 yesterday using GetRight Pro. Download survived many many restarts. Checked the MD5s and installed on x86 laptop last night, and x64 PC today. No problems. Thanks for putting it up.

I downloaded mine directly from MS and installed it tonight. I haven't had time to play around with it ( I had to go to work) so I can't say one way or another if it is an improvement.

I downloaded mine directly from MS and installed it tonight. I haven't had time to play around with it ( I had to go to work) so I can't say one way or another if it is an improvement.

03hdfatboy, it is good to see you have returned. The Service Pack you downloaded from Microsoft is the release candidate, and not the RTM.

It goes without saying that those of you who are planning to download and install 7601.17514.101119-1850, and may have doubts, back up your system prior to any upgrade. This is standard procedure in any instance. I highly recommend that those of you who may be skeptical of the download please read and review Windows 7 SP1 RTM Reportedly Finished | Windows 7 News

I highly recommend that those of you who may be auspicious of the download please read and review Windows 7 SP1 RTM Reportedly Finished | Windows 7 News
I assume Mike meant "suspicious" and not auspicious. Please note that reference refers right back to the same unauthorized Russian site. And I also note that by all "official" indications, it correctly reports that "Microsoft is on track to release the first service pack in March 2011."
03hdfatboy said:
I downloaded mine directly from MS and installed it tonight.
I agree. You downloaded the wrong one as Microsoft does not have the final release SP1 posted for download yet. If you got it from here, note the date - it says July 12, 2010.

Service Pack Center - Microsoft Windows

CPU utilization is becoming 100% in windows-7. Started with 5 to 10% and then slowly it's becoming 100% even if I do not run any application. Checked task manager but I have not found any application which is taking more than 50%. I noticed only the windows explorer and task manager is taking much CPU. Please suggest what to do.

So what the hell is going on now? I get an email from Win7Forums saying that Windows 7 SP1 final is released and ready for download, So I downloaded it from this thread last night, installed it.

Now people are stating its fake, its from russia, it's leaked, its not real....
Wth did I install then?
Why is this thread even still up?
What is really going on, Please Clarify in what is happening in the very first thread.
Did I uninstall the beta sp1 to just reinstall the same beta sp1?

Digerati,

If we receive indicators or instructions from Microsoft to remove links to this software it will be done. This situation was dealt with during the OEM release of Windows Vista SP1 as well. At that time, there was an immense amount of skepticism about the validity of our links to that software. If is not the RTM, or we receive some indication that it is not, the links will be removed and information retracted. All indications show that this is a wave release to manufacturers. The digital signature has not been forged, and the blocker tool was built after it was digitally signed.

There is no reason to approach this thread with such a caustic tone, as we are here to provide support materials to the greater Windows community. Debate about the release is welcome, but there will be continued skepticism until there is a confirmed release for the redistributable version off of Microsoft.com. This version would have the same MD5 hash as the current release packages and would be geared towards IT support personnel.

We continue to recommend that the proper safety precautions are taken with this software, including using backups prior to the installation of any OS modifying software. The information that I have been presented with leads me to believe that this is the RTM. Thank you for your comments and warnings, as we wait to hear more from an official source.

I assume Mike meant "suspicious" and not auspicious. Please note that reference refers right back to the same unauthorized Russian site. And I also note that by all "official" indications, it correctly reports that "Microsoft is on track to release the first service pack in March 2011."
I agree. You downloaded the wrong one as Microsoft does not have the final release SP1 posted for download yet. If you got it from here, note the date - it says July 12, 2010.

Service Pack Center - Microsoft Windows

not exactly where I got it but it looks to be the RC, oh well no biggie I made an image of my drive before the install I can revert, no harm done. LOL BTW: the one I got was dated 10/26/10 and I got it from Download details: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate (KB976932)

Running winver on my machine after installing the version that is the subject of this thread shows

Version 6.1(Build 7601:Service Pack 1) with no expiration.
That's what mine shows too. I think we got the real deal and I'm not worried about it. I'm sure Mike knows what he's doing. :p

My machine is running well too. I can't tell a difference at all.

If my machine implodes I'll just restore the image I made just before installing the SP.

It is my Standard Operating Procedure for me to image an OS install before I do something potentially
hazardous like installing this SP.

I agree, I'm sure Mike knows what he's doing.
If he doesn't he's fired! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

On a related note: thank goodness the Forum is fixed.

The volume of traffic must have been too much for the servers.

Well guys, I trust have read through many threads and trust Mike. I've been a member for several years and basically read through the posts when I get an email. You da man Mike!!! I'm proud to say that I had no problems with both x86 & x64 versions.

OH, and the Service Pack Cleanup Tool gave me an additional 4GB!!!!!!:cool:

Why are we so worried? It's the OEM RTM version that went out to OEM's, Just someone has just uploaded it to torrents, I seen today in a PC Mag that it won't come through Windows update for another 2 months yet to the public.

Mike is leading us here, I think he knows what he is doing, if not he's sacked from the job.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why was the forum so slow this morning, How could this have and effect on our new server. If it does it again, find a newserver.

See here the other Windows 7 Forums have it mentioned:

Windows 7 SP1 sent to OEMs
Microsoft confirms Windows 7 SP1 RTM, released to OEMs today - Windows 7 Forums

6. PLEASE SEED FOR AWHILE (leave uTorrent open with the file at 100%) Why?

Well I've tried both versions (MS site and the torrent off here) and they both do the same thing, install all the way fine, then configure to 100% and then say unknown error and revert and uninstall SP1. Even tried the preinstallation SP kit off MS download site as suggested fix for said issue and didnt help at all, wasted 3 hours of my life for nothing... bah. I've got every single windows update installed so can't understand it.

fail.png

Why was the forum so slow this morning, How could this have and effect on our new server. If it does it again, find a newserver.

Thanks for the chuckles, but please also check out the Forum Announcements. Finding a new server may be a bit different than you might have anticipated. But a new one is in fact running right now. http://windows7forums.com/forum-announcements/56681-web-server-upgrade.html

Our discussions for the night, which included talk about the Service Pack, can be found in that forum as well.

Best regards.

So if someone has windows already updated using windows update installing this will bring nothing but that new feature?:confused:
Yeah. Can't quite understand the clamour to download a huge file, which, if you've done things correctly, you already have installed!

EDIT: Slipstreaming excepted!!

So if someone has windows already updated using windows update installing this will bring nothing but that new feature?

It offers features and fixes:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/56610-sp1-ok.html#post195353

HighwayMan said:
Well I've tried both versions (MS site and the torrent off here) and they both do the same thing, install all the way fine, then configure to 100% and then say unknown error and revert and uninstall SP1. Even tried the preinstallation SP kit off MS download site as suggested fix for said issue and didnt help at all, wasted 3 hours of my life for nothing... bah. I've got every single windows update installed so can't understand it.

fail.png

Did you have SP1 betta before RTM?

I'll probably run the Service Pack Cleanup Tool soon. I'm not in a hurry. Things are going fine here.

Back