Windows 7 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Download Available

I agree with Bill, I would not use this one. I am going to waait until M$ makes it oficial and I can get from them or MS Technet, not some torrent site that is putting out a pirated copy of dubious nature. so as the say for those that download it buyer beware!!!!!!

I was able to install SP1 for Windows 64, and my computer is no worse for it. However, when I tried to run the "cleanup old hot fix information after installing SP1" using the CMD line with Adminstrator privileges, The CMD line wouldn't preform the operation. The reason given was because it didn't recognize the "/spsuperseded" command at the end of the cmd line. I wonder if I miss spelled that part of the cmd line, I thought I copied it correctly. (I even did a copy & paste, and it still wouldn't take).

Mike,
I wonder why one might change the settings in Windows update to not install any updates until one gives allows rather than
adding something in the registry to block. Sometimes that feature is used by any of us checking a problem. Lastly,
if one has already installed sp1, this update should catch that and not reinstall. Right?

Like a lot of people I was skeptical at first, but I did some research and found no real reason not to believe this was safe. The first night I tried downloading it it dropped out like others have said. I installed the torrent from the forum post, downloaded SP1 then tried the install. I turned off my anti-virus and all programs; at first it seemed OK but didn't reboot, it seemed locked up. I rebooted and got the system recovery mode. Undeterred, I tried again only this time I turned off my anti-virus and firewall and turned on Norton silent mode, (no background applications) turned off all programs and it installed just fine. The cleanup tool worked the first time also giving back 2 gig. I updated my laptop after seeing everything was fine. The cleanup tool didn't work by typing in the command so I cut and past like I did for my desktop and worked fine, (not sure what I was doing wrong there). I let the torrent run all night to seed. I think this site is great and I trust Mike :) ....

Mike,
I wonder why one might change the settings in Windows update to not install any updates until one gives allows rather than
adding something in the registry to block. Sometimes that feature is used by any of us checking a problem. Lastly,
if one has already installed sp1, this update should catch that and not reinstall. Right?
No problem with sp1 download worked like a charm. MY QUESTION IS TO MIKE:
WHY RUN THE BLOCK SP1 UPDATE? SEEMS LIKE WINDOWS UPGRADE AUTOMATICALLY SHOULD
PREVENT TRYING TO REINSTALL. RIGHT?

The Windows Service Pack Blocker is mainly for businesses that do not want to have Service Pack 1 installed on more computers than they can handle at the same time. It has nothing to do with SP1 if you installed it.

Thanks Mike! One more question: If I installed the blocker, should I delete it from the registry or just leave it.

I would carefully try to uninstall the blocker if you have somehow managed to install both. These types of scenarios and possibilities are why you absolutely must back up everything prior to taking any action regarding these files.

Mike: I guess I could leave it in registry since it will do no harm. Thanks for the info...

From the same Windows 7 New & Tips site cited earlier, Why You Shouldn’t be Installing Windows 7 SP1 RTM | Windows 7 News

The article referenced above states hackers are trying to insert viruses, malware, and trojans into the original RTM release. If you ran the MD5 check-sum program as I did I would think this would prevent you from downloading a program with anything added or deleted from the original values posted on the 1st page of this thread. Just my uneducated guess?:andwhat:

The article referenced above states hackers are trying to insert viruses, malware, and trojans into the original RTM release. If you ran the MD5 check-sum program as I did I would think this would prevent you from downloading a program with anything added or deleted from the original values posted on the 1st page of this thread. Just my uneducated guess?:andwhat:
Correct. Unless the D\L was infected already and the posted MD5 sum was generated from that.

Lucasz said:
Thank you Mike hope this fixes alot of things, I might wait to I guess until Microsoft releases it.

Here is the link for the official version, I think
Nope - note the date of 10/26/2010.

Correct. Unless the D\L was infected already and the posted MD5 sum was generated from that.
And since this came from an unauthorized Russian site, the concern is how can anyone be sure it has not been tampered with from the start? Certainly the Russian site claims it is safe, but where's the validation from Microsoft? It's not there and while it may be perfectly safe and legit, there's no way at this time to verify that.

I'm 80% sure this is final, the checksum looks ok, the digital certificate looks ok, and it is NOT infected. There is no watermark or timebomb built into the package as previous versions have had. So we will wait and see.

It was installed on mine before people started expressing doubts and my system is running just as sweet as it always did. It has shown me no reason to doubt it at all.

I thought that if it came from the good people here at this forum it had to be allright.

I installed SP 1, about 3 hours ago and every thing is running fine so far. I'm going to wait awhile longer be for I'm satisfied that every thing is running OK! Report back later.

Downloading service pack 1, think I'll wait a week to install it! LOL

Hi

I'm downloading as I type.
But I think I'll wait a week before I install in on my computers.

Especially my wifes, she will freak if I do something to it and it doesn't work right afterwards.

If she couldn't get into e-bay she would go crazy.
She spent today photographing clothes and putting them on sale.

I will watch for comments about how everyone is doing with the service pack before I go ahead with it, if there are some peculiarities I'd like to know about them ahead of time.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom