Windows 7 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Download Available

Generally Q1 refers to the financial year making it April onwards
Quarters don't have to refer to financial. And Marketing does not have to be the same as Financial. When they simply say first quarter of 2011, take it literally. So the first quarter is January through March. "April onwards" would be squarely into Q2 and "onwards" mean into Q3 or later.

Quarters don't have to refer to financial. And Marketing does not have to be the same as Financial. When they simply say first quarter of 2011, take it literally. So the first quarter is January through March. "April onwards" would be squarely into Q2 and "onwards" mean into Q3 or later.
Yup. I agree.

Yeah the guides under the help menu are well written. Also any coasters I burn are because of media problems. I just finished a package of Verbatim DVD+r disks that refused to burn on my laptop. They worked on my old desktop though. Now I'm using Verbatim DVD-r's that burn great. Sometimes burners and media just don't mix.
I'm pretty sure that the cheap CD-r's are the problem.
I have issues with burning music with Windows Media Player with these CD's too, either SP1 or pre SP1.
I'll be looking for a different brand in the future, maybe TDK.
You do get what you pay for.

I'm pretty sure that the cheap CD-r's are the problem.
I have issues with burning music with Windows Media Player with these CD's too, either SP1 or pre SP1.
I'll be looking for a different brand in the future, maybe TDK.
You do get what you pay for.
From what I've seen quality of burnable media is very inconsistent. Different sellers get their products from different factories with different manufacturing processes. You're taking a chance with every batch of media you buy. That's why I suggest having more than 1 burner. I have 2 in my old desktop, 1 in my wife's laptop, 1 in my laptop and 1 in our DVD Player. Do you think I have enough burners? :rolleyes: I can't believe it.

@Admin - I note in your opening post it says,
We can confirm, with accuracy, that this is the final, official, digitally signed version of Windows 7 Service Pack 1
I don't know if it always said that, or if that was a recent edit. How or where is this confirmed? I ask because still, days later, I cannot find on any official Microsoft website, any announcement or even acknowledgment of this release. Nor can I find any official notice to suggest or verify this file "appears to be a likely final RTM build". I hope I just missed it. As it stands now, I am not comfortable with 80% odds. For me, personally, a 1 in 5 chance of something being amiss is too risky in today's computing environment where security trumps all. I want 100% certainty this is official.

As mcnaugha noted above, the original Russian blog site that released this patch has retracted some of their previous statements.
Microsoft has not released SP1 to OEMs at this time, though we are on track for a Q1 release, as we previously announced. The comments made in this blog entry included some inaccuracies.
While it appears there is nothing malicious about this release, thank God, I am bothered there appears to be nothing official about it either. All my search efforts continue to point back to the original Russian blog site, which we see now has recanted their original announcement. Even Softpedia refers back to the Russian site.

Since the original source has now stated they were wrong and that there were "some inaccuracies" in their original announcement, and since there is no official site saying otherwise, is it wise to keep this download available and to continue promoting it? Since SP1 is primarily a roll-up of previously released updates, and the few added features (which don't affect most users) are available individually, it seems to me the wiser solution is for users to run Windows Update and get current, then sit tight for Microsoft to make it official.

Ok, so I jumped right on this thing. I installed it then ran the cleanup tool. That means I can't uninstall it. The way I see it one of three things could happen as a result.

1: Maybe when Microsoft Update offers the final it will check mine and call it not installed. Then when it installs it anything that is missing will be added.

2: Microsoft Update will find it installed already and install nothing. Possibly that won't be a big deal. I might not be missing out on anything of any consequence.

3: If there is something I really need that I don't have I'll have to reinstall from a backup.

I'm not too worried about this development. I'm not going to hold this against the forum. We all make mistakes. The only thing is it'll kinda suck to reinstall my system when It's running so well. Oh well, no biggy.

I just thought of a fourth: Maybe I'll be able to download it as an exe again and do a repair on what I have.

Where I'am the Financial year starts in December. I know that because work did an audit and did all the rolls for it like all other busnisses. so our Q1 is December-Febuary. So dunno why it's different

Well I suppose it varies around the world, the main reason in the UK our tax year starts in April is because thats when the Governments audits are done for business, and has a lot to do with the auditors not wanting to bogged down in December and January with a lot of extra work generated from the season, when a lot are having time off.

Well I suppose it varies around the world, the main reason in the UK our tax year starts in April is because thats when the Governments audits are done for business, and has a lot to do with the auditors not wanting to bogged down in December and January with a lot of extra work generated from the season, when a lot are having time off.
Again, fiscal years, marketing years, and calendar years can, and often are totally different.

So again, unless it is specified, take it literally and assume it is the calendar year - which in America, starts in January! ;)

I think that when software developers say that something will be available in the Q1 they mean the calendar date.
I.E. Rift will be released in Q1 of 2011, means January through march.

For those clamoring for Windows 7 SP1 like buzzards attacking road kill. Read the last sentence of the first paragraph here. Microsoft themselves announced several months ago that SP1 would only be a wrap-up of all patches and security updates issued up to release of the Service Pack, and would have no significant upgrades included. If you have kept your computer upgraded, you essentially already have SP1 installed. What is your rush? (To those who will point out 3 or 4 insignificant feature modifications that the typical user would never see, I did say no SIGNIFICANT (aka no worthwhile) changes.)

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Coming Soon / Infopackets.com

Ok, so I jumped right on this thing. I installed it then ran the cleanup tool. That means I can't uninstall it. The way I see it one of three things could happen as a result.

1: Maybe when Microsoft Update offers the final it will check mine and call it not installed. Then when it installs it anything that is missing will be added.

2: Microsoft Update will find it installed already and install nothing. Possibly that won't be a big deal. I might not be missing out on anything of any consequence.

3: If there is something I really need that I don't have I'll have to reinstall from a backup.

I'm not too worried about this development. I'm not going to hold this against the forum. We all make mistakes. The only thing is it'll kinda suck to reinstall my system when It's running so well. Oh well, no biggy.

I just thought of a fourth: Maybe I'll be able to download it as an exe again and do a repair on what I have.
Or a fifth in my case.
I've got a Clonezilla image saved (made just minutes before installing the SP) that I can restore and be back to pre SP status in less than 10 minutes.
I could then update with the "official" when it is released.

All I've really lost is the time it took to install the SP and the time I took to create a slipstream .iso.

This isn't an RC They promised there will only be 1 RC and be RTM in the 1st Q1 of this year, That means either January or Febuary of this year. SP1 has already gone to OEM's so it'll come through Windows up date at the end of the month or Feb's patch tuesday, If it doesn't well there's something wrong. I installed it lake many people and as I said that this version, when, installed there is no watermark/s or Time bombs/Stamps. evaluations. this is 100% working full version (Not a test/beta/RC) If it was it would have the watermark and a time bomb. We here have 80% chance this is it, Personally if it turns out not to be the RTM, I would be wondering what it could be. baring in mind this is digitaly signed by MS, and all other factors said alredy

Ah, I see you aren't aware of how things work internally at Microsoft and every other software company. They produce many internal builds which never go public. There is never only one beta and one RC. What they don't do is make them all public. Leaks like this happen all the time. There are many other builds of every system release which are not meant for the general public. As it grows close to the actual RTM they produce several builds which could be declared the RTM. They make them as though they are final by withdrawing the watermarks, etc. They officially declared this one not RTM. As I said before, Microsoft does not pretend a build is not the RTM and quite happily advises us - usually via an important employee's blog first - when they have indeed sent the RTM out to OEMs. They have officially said that this leaked build is not the RTM and has not gone to OEMs. We will know the same day or the next when it has gone to OEMs via official Microsoft blogs and sites like winsupersite.com. I just hope those of you who installed this non-RTM near-final build can smoothly get to the RTM build when it comes out. Nothing worse when Microsoft engineering has to request that people start with a clean install because of an irreversible change. This happens most often with the builds that were never meant to be used by the public. If you don't start from a clean install you will never know if its the reason why you suffer subsequent problems.

Oh and there are three months in a quarter. Twelve divided by four equals three. You forgot March.

I've got a Clonezilla image saved (made just minutes before installing the SP) that I can restore and be back to pre SP status in less than 10 minutes.

I like you kept a backup copy of my system, I also keep all my essential day to day files on a separate HD so it would be no big deal if I needed to install my backup image if needed which I doubt it will be needed. Since I am retired and only work 2 days a week, I have lost no time.

I like you kept a backup copy of my system, I also keep all my essential day to day files on a separate HD so it would be no big deal if I needed to install my backup image if needed which I doubt it will be needed. Since I am retired and only work 2 days a week, I have lost no time.

Excellent. You'll be one of the lucky ones. It's great for enthusiasts to try out these internal builds but a shame when someone who's not quite there yet finds themselves in a right mess. This is definitely the first time I've seen so many clammering on to a leaked build and then not believing it's not the final. Generally only Apple tries to keep final builds secret for several weeks after they've gone golden. Microsoft doesn't care so much for secrets and will tell the world (well us geeks who follow the blogs at first) when it really does go RTM.

Actually I have an Acronis Backup from a few weeks ago. Like people keep pointing out the SP1 isn't a big deal. I may just keep what I have when it officially comes out. I'm planning to bide my time and see how things develop.

Update: My last backup was dated 12-5.

Ah, I see you aren't aware of how things work internally at Microsoft and every other software company. They produce many internal builds which never go public. There is never only one beta and one RC. What they don't do is make them all public. Leaks like this happen all the time. There are many other builds of every system release which are not meant for the general public. As it grows close to the actual RTM they produce several builds which could be declared the RTM. They make them as though they are final by withdrawing the watermarks, etc. They officially declared this one not RTM. As I said before, Microsoft does not pretend a build is not the RTM and quite happily advises us - usually via an important employee's blog first - when they have indeed sent the RTM out to OEMs. They have officially said that this leaked build is not the RTM and has not gone to OEMs. We will know the same day or the next when it has gone to OEMs via official Microsoft blogs and sites like winsupersite.com. I just hope those of you who installed this non-RTM near-final build can smoothly get to the RTM build when it comes out. Nothing worse when Microsoft engineering has to request that people start with a clean install because of an irreversible change. This happens most often with the builds that were never meant to be used by the public. If you don't start from a clean install you will never know if its the reason why you suffer subsequent problems.

Oh and there are three months in a quarter. Twelve divided by four equals three. You forgot March.

I am assuming you are talking about: http://blogs.technet.com/b/vm/archi...-pack-1-windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx (Translated Version)

Microsoft has not released SP1 to OEMs at this time, though we are on track for a Q1 release, as we previously announced. The comments made in this blog entry included some inaccuracies.
This is quite unusual. It does not suggest development has even continued, and does not even eliminate the possibility that 7601.17514.101119-1850 will be the final RTM. Clearly Microsoft Russia received this build, it leaked from Russia, it seemed to have been labeled as going to OEMs, someone there announced it would be released that day, and then they were instructed to retract those statements. This does not, however, mean that this build will not become the final one. Vista SP1 (the actual final build), was in fact leaked on February 3rd, 2008, sent to OEM partners on February 4, 2008, and released to MSDN on February 15, 2008. It did not become available on Windows Update, nor the redistributable through the Download Center, until March 18, 2008, over a month later. This, in my opinion, and as others expressed on the time, was reprehensible, given the condition of Windows Vista at that time.

While Microsoft will confirm the authenticity of a release to manufacturer, they will not comment on leaked builds. They did not do it 3 years ago, and are not likely to do it now. It would be foolish for them to lackadaisically comment that their release schedule has been compromised by TechNet Russia, if it happened. Either way, someone is leaking builds, and many of them are leaked to UseNet all the time.

I am on the fence as to whether or not this will be the final RTM, but I am leaning towards it. We will know soon enough. Would I deploy it to 1000 computers? No. Those who followed backup instructions and warnings would be fine either way. The digital signature expiry on these files is in March, which would make sense. However, anything up until that point will, in fact, remain conjecture. I would be very surprised if they are still developing this Service Pack, even after finalizing the blocker tool in November. If there was a showstopper bug, maybe, but I don't see any evidence of that. During August 2010, they released an internal build to TAP partners. One must wonder how long this development could possibly take.

And of this, your comments? Windows 7/Server 2008 Service Pack 1 is gold (RTM) | TechConnect Magazine

With proper precautions, it is possible to run this build and perform a successful uninstall and/or full restore. These are instructions that have been reiterated over and over. To claim the SP contains no new features is inaccurate, as we have a fairly and cleanly defined feature list. See you in a month, which is usually how long it takes for them to get it to the Download Center :)

Also, you are claiming the employee blog completely denied that this exact build would be the RTM? Nowhere does it state that.

I ran it without incident for a couple of days, I had to re-install a backup once due to possible corrupted file as Star-docks Fences program would not run and when it tried to it crashed Windows explorer. I reinstalled this SP1 again everything ran fine even after deleting the SP1 backup files
I however today decided in the interest of being prudent installed my pre Sp1 backup image. I will wait now until M$ in its infinite wisdom releases the SP1 version officially. As a tech-net member as many here are we will know in advance of the official date.
It has nothing to do with the current version others are downloading, as I initially said I am being prudent. When I ran this version of SP1. Everything ran as expected.

Hi

I downloaded it and it is sitting on my desktop, but I've decided that I'm going to wait until it's official.
After all Windows 7 is running like a champ on my computer so why mess with it.

I love beta testing things, I do games all the time (just finished DC Universe and am doing Rift) and I beta tested Windows 7 originally but this time I think I too will be prudent, since there doesn't seem to be any thing major to gain from it anyway. I do hope they have improved the search engine but I haven't heard anything to indicate that they have.

Mike

After two successful installations of SP1 RTM (Premium x64 and Ultimate x86), the third installation failed after 15 minutes. The error message lead to the System Update Readiness Tool KB947821. This created a file c:\windows\logs\cbs\CheckSUR.log

Three "Sample Music" .mp3's and nine "Tablet PC Input" .avi's were missing from directories in C:\windows\winsxs. Hardly essential but enough to halt SP1. Although the missing files were available on another machine Windows system protection prevented them from being copied back into the winsxs directories.

Microsoft's alternate solution is an Upgrade re-installation of Windows 7. I was truly impressed with how well this worked. With over 130 installed programs, the only "loss" was IE9 beta reverted to IE8 and a repair install of Acronis True Image.

After re-activating, connected to Windows Update, unticked the 59 offered updates and installed the SP Preparation Update KB976902. SP1 RTM successfully installed in less than an hour. Then ran "recdisc.exe" to create Windows 7 SP1 Recovery Discs followed by an Acronis full system backup.

A little encouragement for the reluctant. Of course having a Kingwin KF-1000-BK trayless swap-rack and an extra drive to restore an Acronis full image to play with is a wonderful confidence builder.

Back