Windows 7 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Download Available

Yes been nice to see MD5 but we will soon

So WinRumors was first this morning in Google search and correct. He must have friends also. Thank you.

Well what do you know the leak is the RTM. Brandon LeBlanc confirmed the build number. MD5 stuff probably won't matter. I think we would have heard by now if it contained malware as some sort of fake. I'm pretty sure this is the first time the RTM has leaked well in advance of Brandon's blog.

Well what do you know the leak is the RTM. Brandon LeBlanc confirmed the build number. MD5 stuff probably won't matter. I think we would have heard by now if it contained malware as some sort of fake. I'm pretty sure this is the first time the RTM has leaked well in advance of Brandon's blog.

Here is Brandon's blog.
Announcing Availability of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

He confirms the build number in the comments.

Does this increase confidence level or what?
Works for me.

I would like to thank all of you who had faith in this announcement from the start, and those who had the confidence to speak their opinion, irregardless of the outcome. Debate is at the heart of all good discussion. Sadly, I became a naysayer for a few hours, of files that even I originally announced must be the RTM bits. We know now, with 100% certainty, that this build is the RTM. This confirmation has come from Microsoft. I am glad we have been able to make these files available for such a long duration of time, wherefore, a great deal of analysis and resources went into checking authenticity.

Questioning the legitimacy of these files was acceptable, and for a short time, I did a complete 180 and became concerned these weren't the files. A quick examination of how the Service Pack functioned after the February Patch Tuesday releases created confidence between the admin team that this was the RTM once again. External forces had shaped differing opinions, but it is good that at the end of the day, we stuck to our principles.

The files will remain online so that members who desire the Service Pack can use them right now. Thanks to Microsoft, for giving out the build number details and confirmation of RTM status. We are excited to be able to provide these files for those who feel they absolutely need SP1 today.

I would like to thank all of you who had faith in this announcement from the start, and those who had the confidence to speak their opinion, irregardless of the outcome. Debate is at the heart of all good discussion. Sadly, I became a naysayer for a few hours, of files that even I originally announced must be the RTM bits. We know now, with 100% certainty, that this build is the RTM. This confirmation has come from Microsoft. I am glad we have been able to make these files available for such a long duration of time, wherefore, a great deal of analysis and resources went into checking authenticity.

Questioning the legitimacy of these files was acceptable, and for a short time, I did a complete 180 and became concerned these weren't the files. A quick examination of how the Service Pack functioned after the February Patch Tuesday releases created confidence between the admin team that this was the RTM once again. External forces had shaped differing opinions, but it is good that at the end of the day, we stuck to our principles.

The files will remain online so that members who desire the Service Pack can use them right now. Thanks to Microsoft, for giving out the build number details and confirmation of RTM status. We are excited to be able to provide these files for those who feel they absolutely need SP1 today.
You're very welcome Mike.
BTW, this thread has been very entertaining as well as being informative.

Well I appreciate having the SP1 available, even if we weren't positive it was the real SP. I installed it on four machines and then my laptop became corrupted due to a problem Roxio Creator 2011 has with IE-9 beta (Don't install IE-9 if you have Creator folks, until Roxio puts out a patch). Ended up reinstalling Win 7 and used the SP from here so I could avoid the drudgery of installing a few hundred patches. Nice to know it is the correct version, afterall but even if it wasn't, I planned on using it until the "real patch" arrived.

BTW on all 4 machines, the latest patches installed without a hitch and they were all different types of machines. AMD laptop with 32 bit, a Core 2 duo laptop with 32 bit, a Core 2 duo desktop with 32 bit and a Core 2 Quad with 64 bit.

Seems to me that Windows Media Player version 12.0.7601.17514 that comes with SP1 does not write the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\CurrentMetadata key any more. I was using it to get the WMP track title and album art in a Rainmeter skin but the registry entry seems to have dissapeared.

Is it just me or do other people have that key and some info that gets updated in their registry?

UPDATE: Fixed it now.....seems it was my fault for not re-installing the Song Signature plugin after installing SP1!

Seems to me that Windows Media Player version 12.0.7601.17514 that comes with SP1 does not write the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\CurrentMetadata key any more. I was using it to get the WMP track title and album art in a Rainmeter skin but the registry entry seems to have dissapeared.

Is it just me or do other people have that key and some info that gets updated in their registry?
No HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\CurrentMetadata key here either.
Win 7 Home Premium SP1.

I also don't find the skin you mention in the list of "official" skins on the MS WMP skin site either.
Could be a bug with Rainmeter.

I also don't find the skin you mention in the list of "official" skins on the MS WMP skin site either.
Could be a bug with Rainmeter.
It was a Rainmeter skin that was I was working on and it was working just fine until I installed SP1 with the newer (?) version of WMP 12. I can't see what WMP would have used the registry key for anyway so maybe they just decided it was a waste of time having it write the currentmetadata everytime a new track or movie was played.

It was a Rainmeter skin that was I was working on and it was working just fine until I installed SP1 with the newer (?) version of WMP 12. I can't see what WMP would have used the registry key for anyway so maybe they just decided it was a waste of time having it write the currentmetadata everytime a new track or movie was played.
Ah it's kinda like Conky in Ubuntu but developed for Windows.
Obviously the folks developing Rainmeter need to upgrade to be compatible with SP1.
Check with the Rainmeter forums.

It could be an internal problem. I have tried this on several OS installations and its still not working. I have contacted their support.

I have no use for FRAPS but installed the free version to check this.
It seems to work fine for me.

What kind of video card are you using, and you have Aero enabled? After some extensive testing, here was what Josephur and I found:

"I have done further testing and it seems that the issue is the overall system hook that FRAPS uses to hook to the video source it wants to capture. If my screen contains any kind of overlay (such as a 3d game, screen saver preview window, or any other program that uses the OS's overlay function) then FRAPS attempts to use that overlay instead of the overall system overlay. I suspect that FRAPS will have to be updated to understand how 7 SP1 handles overlay. My guess is FRAPS sets a win32 API hook to capture Overlay 0, and Windows 7 has changed the Overlay to 1 (or whatever). So I suspect the issue is the new Service Pack's Direct3D stack, possibly this was changed because of the new RemoteFX features as well, as they need access to the overlay."

This information has been sent to Beepa Support for them to take a look at.

(Images of FRAPS overlay on applications, but not on appearing on the desktop itself)

This is regarding the inability to record DWM (Aero) workspace, including the entire desktop. It works fine pre-SP1

What kind of video card are you using, and you have Aero enabled? After some extensive testing, here was what Josephur and I found:

"I have done further testing and it seems that the issue is the overall system hook that FRAPS uses to hook to the video source it wants to capture. If my screen contains any kind of overlay (such as a 3d game, screen saver preview window, or any other program that uses the OS's overlay function) then FRAPS attempts to use that overlay instead of the overall system overlay. I suspect that FRAPS will have to be updated to understand how 7 SP1 handles overlay. My guess is FRAPS sets a win32 API hook to capture Overlay 0, and Windows 7 has changed the Overlay to 1 (or whatever). So I suspect the issue is the new Service Pack's Direct3D stack, possibly this was changed because of the new RemoteFX features as well, as they need access to the overlay."

This information has been sent to Beepa Support for them to take a look at.

(Images of FRAPS overlay on applications, but not on appearing on the desktop itself)

This is regarding the inability to record DWM (Aero) workspace, including the entire desktop. It works fine pre-SP1
I'm not a gamer hence my comment about having no use for FRAPS.
As to video card it is an ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 with 128 MB builtin Vram.
This is in an Acer 5672WLMi notebook.
ATi doesn't support this card anymore so the latest drivers are dated around Feb 2009.
The drivers and the Catalyst Control Center came from Acers support site an were designed for Vista but work fine in Win 7.
I can easily run Aero but choose not to.

I guess I will try FRAPS in Aero to see if that makes a difference.

We are specifically talking about the ability to record/screenshot/FPS the entire desktop itself and not just a game. We are almost 100% positive it is SP1

We are specifically talking about the ability to record/screenshot/FPS the entire desktop itself and not just a game. We are almost 100% positive it is SP1
I guess I don' know what you want this program to do.
For me, the free version captures video perfectly with framerates displayed, will take screenshots of a playing video again with framerates.
This in Aero.
It performs benchmarks as well, though I don't know how to read them (.csv file).
I can't get it to take a screenshot of my desktop, but my desktop is static so why would I need FRAPS to do that?

No. This is not Aero. This is DirectX. When you play a DirectX game, it has nothing to do with the Aero desktop interface. We are specifically talking about benchmarking the desktop, recording the desktop, and taking the screenshots. This is a specific piece of functionality that does not work in Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Well today is the day (Feb. 16 2011) that it will known for sure by you techie gurus whether the SP1 posted initially on Softpedia was truly the RTM everyone touted it was

Back
Top Bottom