Windows 7 Windows 7 SP1

jbcohen

Ok, so I am new around these parts but I have a reason for singing up here. I have a Dell Laptop with a bit of problems and I think I know how to proceed but would like to get some feedback from forum members before I go spend a lot of time repairing the laptop. First a statement of the problem: the security software won't work becuase Win 7 SP1 is not installed. What have I done: 1) Isolated the laptop from the network so I don't have any hackers; 2) downloaded SP1 32bit and 64 bit versions. What I think I need to do is to install SP1 32 bit version. What is your opinion of my plan? I hope that I do not need to re-image the entire hard drive.

All sounds very sensible. SP1 install should not cause any problems but if you want to play really (and also examine a good backup strategy for future regular use) I would look at some imaging software which will enable you to secure your entire system drive and from which you may make a complete recovery with no loss of op sys, installed software, user configurations etc. I rely completely on Acronis True Image and you can get a full working trial copy from here:

Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software

Yesterday morning I tried to install the 32 bit version of SP 1 and the OS said that the version was not compatible so I tried to install the 64 bit version and it told me to use the 32 bit version. Please help. I am not adverse to doing the work if I have forum members telling me what I need to do.

Thats a good idea I should run the readiness tool first. The laptop runs on windows 7 and its not an itanium processor so i should need the 32 bit version rather than the 64 bit version? If I am not ready for the installation will the tool tell me what I need to do to get hte laptop ready? Perhaps that is the problem, its not ready for the installation of SP1.

Back
Top Bottom