Windows 7 Windows 7 Updates

Rus

After the last update from Microsoft for Win 7 I lost the automatic log-in for my browser and for Facebook. I had to log in each time I got on the Internet. I know it was Win 7 causing this because I checked with my netbook that has XP and there was no problem with my auto login.

I reinstalled an earlier Win 7 operating system that I made using Win 7 backup and the problem was gone. So I turned off any future Win 7 updates to prevent this problem occurring again.

I’m curious; anyone else experiencing this problem?

You don't say which browser, but it seems passwords are kept with your browser and you can adjust those, whereas the username might be kept in a cookie.

Windows 7 does have a credentials manager in the control panel which might keep that type of info, but the update probably refreshed something that changed some setting.

It turned out that the culprit was AVG running in the background. When I went back to a previous OS before I used AVG there wasn't a problem. After I deleted AVG I no longer had the issue.

It turned out that the culprit was AVG running in the background. When I went back to a previous OS before I used AVG there wasn't a problem. After I deleted AVG I no longer had the issue.

Hi Rus, sadly AVG doesn't have a very good track record with regards to Windows 7. Just in case you haven't, make sure you use the AVG clean up tool that matches your (32 or 64bit) system in Safe Mode to remove the dregs it will leave behind. AVG Remover

I hope that I really don't have to say this, but remember to turn your updates back on. Doesn't have to be automatic, it can be when ever you want it, but please for the love of God and all that is holy, don't leave up dates turned off.

I hope that I really don't have to say this, but remember to turn your updates back on. Doesn't have to be automatic, it can be when ever you want it, but please for the love of God and all that is holy, don't leave up dates turned off.

I did turn automatic updates back on. Thanks.

So that Automatic Updates doesn't affect you while using the computer, set it to "Check for Updates but let me choose to download & install them". This way, you'll be notified of any updates, but you can install them when you're ready.

When I get this notification, usually on Update Tuesday, I normally install the updates during dinner, this way, all that I need to do is a reboot, & I'm ready to go. Just make sure you don't ignore any notifications, as many of these updates & patches are for our protection. Usually severe type of things like remote code execution are addressed in these updates. It's OK to wait a couple of hours, but not a couple of weeks.

Cat

Cat I would suggest using "Download updates but let me chose whether to install them". It allows for updates to be downloaded in the back ground with left over bandwidth, so as not to interrupt or slow down what you are doing. Then when you are ready to install the patches, just hit install. Or if you find one that you don't want to install, for what ever reason, you still have the option to hide it and it wont install it. That is what I have mine set up for and on my 1.5 Mbps internet connection, I have never noticed when it is downloading patches. Just throwing that out there.

Yes, it's fine to do it that way too. That's the way I have it setup when using XP Mode. The downloads are there waiting for me to install, after a few minutes, the way that you describe. I go ahead and apply them because I don't have to reboot my computer, just restart XP Mode (or whatever VM that I run).

I don't do it that way on Windows 7 because I want to see the optional updates, as well as the important ones. They don't always show, even though I checked for Windows to give me recommended updates in addition to the regular ones.

Cat

Oh I completely get you on that. Even though I have the updated set to download automatically, I go through the Windows Updater and look to see what is there every time it says there is a patch ready to install. Then I install it from the Update interface, I never use the Install and Shutdown method. To be honest I forgot that was still even there until about a week ago when I had to restart my computer after using a application to change my start orb and Windows Defender had a definition update. LoL You should have seen it, so freaking funny. I was like damn I'm getting really set in my ways. I called my roommate in y room and was like, look I forgot that was an option for shutting down. She didn't find it as amusing as I did. Though I digress. LoL

Back