Windows 7 Windows 7 won't boot, installation repair did not help

Madao

Hey guys, I hate to ask a question right on first post but this is rather an frustrating issue.

Out of a sudden on a random reboot one day after installing new video card drivers for my ATi HD4830 card, it went "Operating System Not Found" or something similar to that. So I thought, weird, maybe I'll try using the boot menu in my bios to tell it to boot from which drive. That works.

However, every single time I boot up my computer, I have to go into the boot menu to tell which drive my bios can find the OS from. That got very annoying. So I popped in the installation DVD for windows 7, and used the first repair option. (The one that says solves problems if windows doesn't start). After running that, I now get a new message everytime I get to the boot screen, and that is something like "BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER." (And if I do press enter, it tries to load from the CD-rom).

I then tried using the command prompt in the recovery console and did the following:

bootsect /nt60 C

No luck there either. In fact, it gives a bunch of gibberish, and I believe what it was trying to say is something along the lines of not being able to find the volume.

I don't know if this is related, but a few weeks back I also had a corrupted MBR, but I popped in the windows 7 installation disc, and it fixed it that time around.

The only way I can boot right now is to go into the boot menu of the bios every single time and point it to the drive.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you checked the boot order in the BIOS settings? Try making the hard drive the 1st priority device and see if that helps. However, it also seems likely that your HDD is failing (all hard disk drives have a finite lifespan, unfortunately.) I strongly recommend you back up all your important data as soon as possible, if you haven't done so already. Some kind of malware infection is also possible, since there are virii which attempt to write themselves into your boot sector. So I'd also recommend running scandisc and a virus scan, but be sure to back up first, as if your drive is on it's last legs, the extra wear of a full scan could be the last straw.

Back