Windows 7 Windows 7 wont detect external dvd rom

Smee

Hey guys...newbie posting out of total desperation and needing help! I have posted in other forums with no luck...

I bought a Samsung SH-D162D DVD Drive in a USB enclosure to connect to my Toshiba laptop via USB.

I cannot get windows 7 to find it! When I plug in the USB cable the balloon comes up to say it has been installed (sometimes), I can see it on for about 1 or 2 minutes then it drops off. It isnt listed in my hardware or anything.

Its not found in Disk Management or My Devices so it isnt a case of changing the drive letter - i cant find the drive to change it.

I have also tried to find the upper and lower settings in regedit....couldnt find them so couldnt delete them as advised in other posts of this nature.

It is set to master, the IDE connector and power connectors are fine. Its gotta be a windows 7 problem cause it does show up very breifly. In the minute or 2 its there I cant do anything with it...it just hangs although it will open and close. Ive googled it and cant find anything...mainly registry issues but they didnt help.

Ive also connected it up to another laptop with XP and had no problems so I know the DVD Rom works fine and all the cables are ok.

Ive tried in all 4 USB ports on my laptop and also turned off all energy settings...all with no luck. And I also have EVERY windows 7 update...

Heres exactly what happens from power off on the enclosure.

1 - I plug in the USB lead then turn on power to the enclosure.
2 - I quickly go to Start, and I can see the DVD Rom drive E next to my laptops dvd rom.
3 - The green bar at the top starts filling up from left to right and gets about half way then suddenly the DVD Rom icon disappears and so does the green bar.
4 - It then flashes up under the laptops DVD Rom icon with a Local Disk drive E but only for a split second.
5 - Sometimes a balloon comes up saying installing device, then device successfully installed...but not every time.

And thats it....Im at a total loss and cant work it out, so any help is really appreciated!

Not sure what could be going on since the drive and enclosure seems to work fine on a laptop with XP, I would suspect that perhaps either the drive or the enclosure electronics might require a firmware update to make them compatable with windows 7.
Have you tried inserting a music CD into the drive, leave it connected and turned on and then rebooting the laptop rather than bring the DVD on line when the Laptop is already running. Also make sure that the laptop has the most current drivers available from Toshiba, especially chipset drivers and you may even want to look for a more current BIOS update from them than the one you are currently running.

Back