Right...for some wierd reason the screenshot with device configurations doesn't want to upload!!
Everything is enabled except for "virtualization technology" and "HDD translation mode" is bit-shift instead of LBA-assisted, thats it.
I've been swamped with work, sorry for writing back so late!
The battery experiment didn't work, but thanks anyway.
If anyone gets any ideas, please post, I'll try to get in touch with HP about the problem, but otherwise it seems to be a hardware problem. I suppose the motherboard could be fried or something in that direction. Its had its run, time to change up.
Supposedly the AsusG73 is quite a machine, I'm thinking of getting it. Win7 won't have a problem running there.
Thanks again for all your help, if you come up with anything, please post, I'll keep an eye out.
The computer worked fine with an earlier version of bios when it was running on both cores, but that didn't last long, a day. When it restarted I couldn't get the other core going anymore, updated the bios and...well, slow to snail.
And I did reinstall win7 after the bios upgrade, three times, but it spent hours and hours doing it, so I just stopped bothering. the problem with speed happens when I'm installing windows. I tried installing win XP and that was excruciatingly slow, and the system was built for XP, so its almost definitely a hardcore problem. The motherboard I'm guessing.
If you figure out anything, please keep posting, I'll be keeping an eye out.