Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Install; are you sure?

chasbolt

After installing the upgrade I thought it was cool. Easy to change back in forth between the Metro and standard desktop and it seemed to work better. On Dec 1st it all went haywire. I couldn't get any further than the sign in screen. It was flipping back and forth between 2 different states. I tried to get to Safe and many other things. I eventually went to the store I bought the H from in February 2013. He managed to get to the Safe screen with some fancy key strokes. I went on line at home and read into the issue and found 8.1 turns off some functions like Recovery. I got my laptop and discovered there were compatibility issues with some drivers as well as with Comcast/Norton.

I found this on line and will return my computer to the original Win8. I may go out and buy another Win7 Pro which I have on my old desktop computer. Love it! Microsoft got me again. Maybe I should investigate Linux or a Mac? I don't check this Forum too often but thought you should know to check 8.1 very closely before upgrading.

To reset your PC

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.

4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Note
    • You'll be asked to choose whether you want to erase data quickly or thoroughly. If you choose to erase data quickly, some data might be recoverable using special software. If you choose to erase data thoroughly, this will take longer but it makes recovering data less likely.

For everyone who has issues with Win 8.1, there is at least one who does not have any problem with it.

Win 8.1 does NOT turn off Recovery, otherwise you would not be able to post the steps by steps in your post. Different OS has different procedures. Users just need to find the way. There is no fancy key strokes to get to Safe Mode. Just different ways and not the same as Vista and Win 7.

Regarding " 8.1 turns off some functions" you were alluding to, can't help you if you do not specify what those "some functions" are.

As to the Recovery instructions you posted, it does NOT "restore" you machine back to Win 8. The Recovery application is to restore your machine back to day one of Windows 8.1.

Last edited:
I am not trying to be obstinate but when I went to the Recovery options for HP and also for Win 8.1 I was unable to use them. Going thru this longer process enabled me to fix it. I should have done more research and realized that my cheaper computer wasn't up to win 8.1 without driver upgrades that my win 8 didn't need.
My computer is now back to being an 8.0 just as pristine as when I bought it. I had to remove the same crap as I did before when I bought it. I installed the Classic addon to manage my issues with the start screen vs metro..

When I went to 8.1 update, the system protection setting for C drive was off. I was going to create a system restore point. I turned C drive on. Most people probably don't even know about that yet. Is that what you are talking about? PBR Image drive though, is set to off. I don't know whether to turn it on, or leave it off.

Back