Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Random freezes

hgjkg

My desktop computer sometimes freezes requiring a manual power off. It seems to happen randomly; when I'm browsing the web. when I pause a movie or a game and leave it for ~5 minutes. I have googled and poked around the internet for three days, but I'm stumped. I have upgraded the drivers that were out of date, switched main/slave graphics card, cleaned the inside of the case, reset UEFI to defaults (everything set to auto). But the crashes still seems to happen, though less frequently, but I can't tell if my changes are related.

I have attached my .zip with the relevant screenshots, minidumps and logs.

Additionally I ran a driver verification and tried to self-diagnose, but that was above my skill-level. Here's a link to the full memory dump: mega.co.nz/#!BcB32TyK!T1eDNRg1CjqIWISmjeiF2o7iu-CbRyBwGiv1dnflmiU

Attachments

• W7F_08-03-2015.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 786
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff801593852ac, ffffd000423567c0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+b12ac )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
you have quite a few different Bugchecks ranging from the above, which means a system service exception occurred, to Bugcheck 124 hardware error as well as Bugchecks for the Driver verifier C4 and 133. If you haven't already please turn off the driver verifier.
Looking over your dump file I noticed your Bios is old and could be related to the issue your seeing.
BiosVersion = 1802
BiosReleaseDate = 01/28/2014
Please double check I have the correct download for your motherboard:
http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z87PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

As well as the Bios you also have some Asus utilities running which are known on occasion to cause bsod's particularly:

AiChargerPlus.sys Thu Apr 19 02:17:35 2012: Asus Charger Driver Likely BSOD cause consider removing if bsod continues.

atikmdag.sys Fri May 23 02:46:07 2014: AMD GPU driver please update.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 8.1 - 64

Post any new dump files after updating the above.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Updated GPU drivers and BIOS, uninstalled AiCharger+.

Here is the new MEMORY.dmp: mega.co.nz/#!ENJTyJIK!KvgwV_I-GFhAlv3NZKc4et9cOc7Bg1JWI7U-DrBd_EQ

And I attached a zip with all new minidumps, logs etc.

FYI it seems the bios update changed some overclock settings to asus optimized. Mainly BCLK 95->110, Ratio 36->38

I noticed just after gathering all the info. I doubt it would matter, but I could change it to the previous settings.

Attachments

• W7F_08-03-2015v2.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 485
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff801593852ac, ffffd000423567c0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+b12ac )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
these are the same dump files you sent the first time around so I can't really tell you anything apart from repeating the above.

I should have also mentioned that you need to return to default values until the source of the bsod is found (it could even be the overclock).

Did you turn off the driver verifier?

After updating are you still getting bsod or freezes?

I haven't had any freezes or bsod after the updates no. So things might work okay. I'll turn off any overclocking options in the bios next reboot. I Turned off driver verifier after each memory dump. The size and time created for the dump files are different, so maybe the driver and bios updates didn't affect atimdag.sys (or the other stuff, which seems dubious).

In any case, thanks a lot for the help. I'll bump this thread with new info if it happens again in the following few days.

Back