Windows 8 Windows 8 unable to burn DVD

NWoods

When attempting to burn ISO files from Windows Explorer, Windows Disc Image Burner takes an extremely long time to do anything then errors out saying:

The disc image didn't burn successfully because an error occurred. (Error code: 0x8007045D)

I have attempted to use Imgburn but it will not even detect my drive.

I have removed all 3rd party dvd software, and uninstalled the dvd drive but it did not help.
I made my system dual boot with linux and everything works fine so I know it is a problem with windows.

On a side note, when in Windows the DVD tray automatically retracts itself when i eject it.

This may help you

I don't recommend "Speedy Pro" ...I would use Ccleaner instead.

I have attempted to use Imgburn but it will not even detect my drive.
I'm surprised imgburn didn't handle it for you. Try removing the dvd device in device manager, reboot, let it reinstall and try imgburn again. Alternatively visit the manufacturer's site, download the appropriate driver and run a manual driver update for the burner then try imgburn again.

I'm surprised imgburn didn't handle it for you. Try removing the dvd device in device manager, reboot, let it reinstall and try imgburn again. Alternatively visit the manufacturer's site, download the appropriate driver and run a manual driver update for the burner then try imgburn again.

I have already removed the drive in device manager and rebooted. It did not help.
My drive is as reported by device manager is a:
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GH41N
From what I can find it does not have specific drivers other then the default Windows drivers.

After running CCleaner, the Windows Disc Image Burner now instantly goes to the error message.
Since there is atleast a change in the behavior I will remove it in the device manager again and hope all goes well.

Since the error seems to be related to an I/O error, could you tell us a little about your system and how you have the drive connected to your system, and be specific about which SATA port.

I have seen Optical drives get in a unstable condition, usually because some third party utility was trying to control them. If you have been running third party software prior to the problem, you might check with them, especially if you were using any virtual DVD drives.

When you uninstalled the device in Device Manager, did you select the option to "Uninstall all Drivers"? And while you are in Device Manager, on the device properties, there is an Events tab. You might look at it to see if anything abnormal might be indicated.

Details of system (excerpt from dxdiag):
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-890GPA-UD3H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4092MB RAM
Page File: 3008MB used, 5179MB available
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

SATA port 0: Seagate 500GB HD
SATA port 1: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GH41N
SATA port 2 : WD 500GB HD

If uninstalling the device and doing a cold boot did not help, I would try to find a firmware update for the drive, which is what Pat might be saying from the earlier post.

I have been using the link below to find the Firmware version for my drive, but it seems Windows 8 does not handle the information the same on my system as Windows 7. It might work OK on yours. But you may be looking for some number such as MN01 or something similar.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph06196

If you don't find it as indicated, try the Hardware Ids information and check the end of the first entry.

You show the DVD on SATA port 1. It is probably not required, but I would have it on a higher number than the Hard Drives, or the last port available on the basic SATA controller.

Thank you everyone for your time and advice, I got it to work.
Apparently Microsoft still has issues with some devices and AHCI controllers.
My reasoning for saying this and how I fixed my drive:
1. Pulled out my motherboard manual
2. Shutdown and opened up system
3. Rearranged SATA config to:
Port 0: Seagate HD
Port 1: WD HD
Port 2: Empty
Port 3: ESata
Port 4: DVD
Port 5 - 7: Empty
(Ports 0 - 5 are SATA3 and 6-7 are SATA2)
4. Hooked everything back up and Entered BIOS
5. Set BIOS as follows:
SATA Controller = AHCI mode
Specified SATA Port 3 as ESata
SATA Port 4/5 to IDE
6. Saved and entered Windows

DVD tray no longer auto retracts and an ISO is burning as I type this.

Well by the time I got done typing you had found the answer, so I'm deleting my advice.

What I'm wondering was this a new computer or had the drive been working normally in the past?
If it had it seems strange that you would have had to make these changes to get it to work now.

But I'm glad you found an answer!

Mike

I initially built the system about 2 years ago and had a Sony DVD burner which died recently. Due to current budget constraints I was only able to replace it with a generic drive which is not an issue since I currently have 2 desktops and 4 laptops.

Back
Top Bottom