Windows 7 Windows Explorer Problem

Jay_88

Upgraded from Vista Premium a few days ago, and Windows 7 generally seems to work fine apart from a problem with Windows Explorer crashing everytime I try and access Control Panel, My Computer, Documents etc from the start menu. It then restarts the desktop and does not open the file at all.

I can access My Computer from run but it is still an annoyance, and I cannot use Control Panel at all. Windows Update also doesnt open and now seems to have dissapeared off my computer altogether.

I know this is a beta and problems are to be expected but my system is now only half workable. I've tried running anti-virus and spyware programs but they dont appear to have worked, and also the scannow repair trick in cmd, amongst other things, but have now run out of ideas aside from doing a re-install. :confused:

You should do a clean install if you having troubles after upgrading from Vista. If you back-up necessary files and do a clean install, it should run a lot smoother. It doesn't sound like you can easily fix the problem otherwise, especially without Windows Update working properly.

Yeh I think a clean install is looking like the only option now, my PC is a few years old so probably needs cleaning out abit anyway.

Im pretty definite I got the beta from the Microsoft website, its not a dodgy copy from a torrent anyway.

I agree with wewantsthering, you should back up all your personal files and than do a clean install... It WILL perform much better and you should be presented with far less problems that way.. ;) Clean installs are the only way to install an OS in my opinion..

Thanks for replies, done a clean install and everything is now working perfectly!

Only thing is to get any old programs working from the backup files, such as firefox, virus software etc, do they all have to be re-installed again?

Thanks for replies, done a clean install and everything is now working perfectly!

Only thing is to get any old programs working from the backup files, such as firefox, virus software etc, do they all have to be re-installed again?
Yes, they have to be reinstalled.

Right click problem

I made a clean install of Windows 7 on my computer and everything was working ok until a couple of days ago.
When I try to right click on a file within Windows Explorer, for instance to change its name, the system stalls and I need to close-restart the program.
Previous to the problem I had installed nothing (soft or hard).
I use BitDefender and there are no identified virus.
Any ideas why this is happening..?

Thanks

Back