Windows 7 Windows Live Messenger Problem on Windows 7 Beta 1

J

Jordan

Well ok I installed Windows 7 Beta yesterday and I've been using it all day, installing all of my applications and whatnot. I also installed windows live messenger yesterday and have been using it ever since and had no problems with it until about 20 mins ago, whenever I come to sign in I get the following screen :

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/...sLiveMessengerStoppedWorking.png?t=1231734883

Basically it's telling me that WLM needs to close.

How do I fix this problem ?

I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling, however I want to know what's causing this.

Thanks and Let me know how you're experience is going with Windows 7 !

Jordan

Send me a Demonoid invite and I'll let you know! JK, which version of WLM are you running? I'm running version 8.1 (Build 8.1.0178.00) and it's working fine for me. Temporary fix if this keeps occuring would be to use a different messenger such as Pidgin until you find out what's wrong.

i have got the same problem , after i setup the live messenger i could not run it, the error message the same with the attach file here

ok i am updating to build 7000 , let i check it then, thank you !

I am using WLM 2009 Build 14.0.8050.1202 and I also get that on build 7000 and also in Vista at times. I just close it and start it again. I have yet to find a cure.

I got Windows Live Messenger on my Windows 7 Build 7000 and it is working perfectly.

I also have WLM Beta and it is working flawlessly on Windows 7 Beta (Build 7000)... I noticed you said you haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling.. well that would be a good place to start.. ;)

The installer crashes too :|

I'm having the same problem above - it was working perfectly since I installed windows 7 mid-week, but then randomly it keeps crashing! I tried to uninstall, but the installation wizard crashes too! Rock and hard place, stuck!

yep i got same issues , 1st with the WLM 9.0 stable release worked ok chatted some,
next day (or some reboots later) it wont work no more :error: :error:
im like wtf, so kk., so i uninstall reinstall , no go.
So i uninstall again and grab the WLM 8.5 it works temp, same issue i think next day(night to noon) same issue again
i did read another thread about the Live pack and just installing WLM not mail and rest, nope that wont work
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
Application Version: 8.5.1302.1018
Application Timestamp: 4717a53b
Fault Module Name: StackHash_e51a
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1043
Additional Information 1: e51a
Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
Additional Information 3: e51a
Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

Read our privacy statement online:
Microsoft Online Crash Analysis

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

so now i temp use the webmessenger, and i dont got the WLmail installed atm.

for the ones wondering : win 7 beta 7000 x86
(Operating system) Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, version 6.1.7000 (52 processes running, 2.07GB free RAM, installed 4d 5h 48m 5s ago, 1h 10m 54s uptime, 3d 12h 25m 48s uptime record)

----------edit-------------------
ok ive finally got it working again , by 1st using this command:
Click Start/Run and type: (in adminmode)

net start MSIServer
or
" C:\>net start MSIServer "
than removed the compatibility modes, i'd set on vista, now only one that remains "on" = "run as admin" (for all users)-set))
(incl ^^ was crash (comp-mode) . now i will check later how/what that service is set in services.msc

(oh just stubmled upon this (havent tested yet , but i will if after reboot etc it wont start)

1. Download msiserver.zip and save it to Desktop.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

2. Unzip the file and extract msiserver.reg to the Desktop.
3. Right-click msiserver.reg and choose Merge.
4. Click Yes when asked for confirmation.
5. Restart Windows. (i DIDN´T :D) WORKED RIGHT AWAY

or +- this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/315353

===============
2ND edit

msi installer crash fix .

start regedit
navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions
rename MachineThrottling to _MachineThrottling

or
(havent tested the below myself, the above fixed it for me)

Many users have started experiencing random crashing of explorer and msiexec.exe when trying to start Windows Update or install anything that uses an MSI based installer. This issue is bad enough that some people have even formatted because of it, only to have it come back again.
Rafael has discovered that the fault lies with the SQM Client which is part of the Customer Experience Improvement Program. It seems that ANY process that calls WinSqmStartSession in ntdll.dll will start crashing when MachineThrottling is enabled in the registry, which seems to happen as a result of CEIP running.
There are two workarounds for this issue. One may only be temporary, while the other should be permanent. I will list the permanent method here so everyone can cure the issue once and for all.

1. Delete the string values (Except for (Default)) in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions
2. Start gpedit.msc
3. Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings.
4. In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, and then click Enabled.

Yes, doing the above WILL disable the anonymous usage data (CEIP), but until Microsoft fixes the issue and issues a hotfix or a new build I don’t see any other options to ensure the issue does not occur again.

specs pc:
CPU: Intel® Pentium® DualCore 930, 2x3Ghz 4mb cache (code Presler)
MOBO: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5LD2, version Rev 1.xx
RAM: 4,00 GB RAM (1+1+2) DDRII
GPU: MSi NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTO 512 Mb(dedi) / 1855 MB (shared)
HDD: 250GB HDD SataII WDC WD2500JS-00MHB0 ATA Device,
HDD: 640GB HDD SataII SAMSUNG HD642JJ ATA Device, 12Mb cache
NA: Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Na: Sweex LW057 Wireless LAN PCI Card 54 Mbps
boxes: logitech S220™ 2.1 speakers
Soundcard: Speakers (Realtek High Definition 5.1)

Last edited:
Seems to have spontaneously resolved itself .. not entirely sure how or why but it's working just fine now! Weirdness :)

Yeah...
Well I downloaded Windows Live Messenger, I had it for about an Hour and it crashed my Computer!
I was pretty bumed and I thought it was awfully strange...

Back
Top Bottom