Windows 7 Windows Update not working, crashing explorer.

Stalker7d7

Yea. It s wierd. Whenever I try to open windows update, wether through start manu, or control panel, it instantly crashes the explorer program..:/

Any ideas?

Very bizarre, I checked it again right after making this post, and it worked. Before though, I tried it numerous times in the control panel, and start menu, and it just kept crashing the explorer. I restarted, for the same result. After which I made this post, after which it worked just fine...:/

I have the same problem, windows update crash (I try from Internet Explorer, from Control Panel, start menu...), and explorer need to restart, and I'm not install MagicDisc or similar, any ideas?. Is possible to reinstall windows update?

Sorry for my English.

Solved (form me): you can see the solution in:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Jose
Windows 7 Beta x64
Never mind. Do this instead.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, windows update crash (I try from Internet Explorer, from Control Panel, start menu...), and explorer need to restart, and I'm not install MagicDisc or similar, any ideas?. Is possible to reinstall windows update?

Sorry for my English.

Solved (form me): you can see the solution in:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Jose
Windows 7 Beta x64

Last edited:
That maybe a temp fix...I found this link and it says its a permanent fix...... Link Removed due to 404 Error darco

I had the same problem and found this fix.

Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisableSessions
There is a QWord MachineThrottling just rename it to (_MachineThrottling) and this fixed my updating problems. Be sure and don't forget the (_) before the name.

Hope this helps.

Official responce from microsoft :

Solve a problem with Windows 7 beta
An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 beta is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.

To solve this problem, follow these steps:
  1. Click the Start button Link Removed - Invalid URL, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
  2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Link Removed - Invalid URL In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f
  4. Press Enter to install the solution.
  5. If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two.

Last edited:
not solved

I have this same damn problem, it is currently wasting my time and really pissing me off. That registry entry you guys put, is nowhere to be found and if I use the command listed above to delete it through cmd it tells me invalid use of regdelete, I am in disabled sessions and the only thing here is default nothing else!

Back
Top Bottom